Self installed Over the top stripes - tell me if you did it yourself - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008 Thread Starter

Self installed Over the top stripes - tell me if you did it yourself

I'm considering doing the stripes myself using a Baltimore Street Mods kit. I am hesitant, and would like to hear experiences of those who have done it themselves (how long did it take, did you have problems, what were they, etc).

I have a local sign shop (which also does some vehicle work) quoting it for me as well, but I'm not optimistic.

I may eventually paint (since that will be brought up), but for now I want vinyl so that it is easily reversible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008

PM STL i think I read somewhere that he originally did his by himself. All I know is if you are going to do it, make sure you take your time, follw the instructions carefully, make sure you order it with transfer tape, and use a generous amount of water in a spray bottle with a 10% dish soap solution. It makes it 10X easier to manipulate and get the bubbles out.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
stripes is something i would leave to the pros myself. then again i am not a very "delicate" person when it comes to working on stuff. (not being perverted )

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRacer06 View Post
PM STL i think I read somewhere that he originally did his by himself. All I know is if you are going to do it, make sure you take your time, follw the instructions carefully, make sure you order it with transfer tape, and use a generous amount of water in a spray bottle with a 10% dish soap solution. It makes it 10X easier to manipulate and get the bubbles out.
I appreciate the suggestion. I have replies from a few people, and endless instructions. What I am worried about is: you can describe to someone how to paint a Picasso, that doesn't mean though that they (me) can actually make it look the same.

I've got 3 incoming quotes. We'll see what I do then.

If I do it myself, and I screw it up, at worst it would be the bumpers, and BSM would probably sell me those bits cheap 2nd time around and I can have a pro install those. I have read that the hood, roof, and trunk (I have no spoiler) are quite easy as far as curves when applying double stripes.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Took me 9 hours. Follow directions to the letter and don't rush and you'll be fine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008 Thread Starter

I think I am going to go for it and try myself.

I got a quote back from a local shop for $340 installed including material and tax. This makes it very tempting, but I still think I will be happier if I do it myself, then have them do the bumpers if I just can't get it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRacer06 View Post
What is transfer tape and how do you use it?

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
This post is the only time you will see "Fuzzy Dice" and "self install" in the same sentence....

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC Fan View Post
What is transfer tape and how do you use it?
Transfer tape (the way I understand it), is tape with light adhesive stuck to the TOP of the stripes, so that you can remove the backing from the adhesive, and the stripes stay together, and a bit more rigid. Only after the stripes have been applied and dry, do you remove the transfer tape to reveal the stripes. Usually it is a bit translucent so yo ucan actually see the stripes. It helps keep out wrinkles as well since you are applying a stiffer package instead of thin, floppy vinyl by itself.
ModsStang

I'll tell you what... anyone who installs themselves should be in a "hall of fame" of some sort - yes, that includes you, Stl. I watched my installer do it - about 6 hours give or take... and it was tedious. If you have patience, god bless ya, if not - let an installer do it.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
I'm considering doing the stripes myself using a Baltimore Street Mods kit. I am hesitant, and would like to hear experiences of those who have done it themselves (how long did it take, did you have problems, what were they, etc).

I have a local sign shop (which also does some vehicle work) quoting it for me as well, but I'm not optimistic.

I may eventually paint (since that will be brought up), but for now I want vinyl so that it is easily reversible.

Thanks!
I went through Baltimore Street Mods also. The stripes are not hard once you get started. Keep them Wet until you have them where you want them and follow the instructions.

2006 LL GT Coupe Manual
Former owner of 2006 GT LL VERT (Loogy)
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
This post is the only time you will see "Fuzzy Dice" and "self install" in the same sentence....
Don't you install yourself into your Mustang every time you drive it?

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudisStang View Post
I'll tell you what... anyone who installs themselves should be in a "hall of fame" of some sort - yes, that includes you, Stl. I watched my installer do it - about 6 hours give or take... and it was tedious. If you have patience, god bless ya, if not - let an installer do it.
It really wasn't that bad. Just have to pay attention to detail.

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Transfer tape (the way I understand it), is tape with light adhesive stuck to the TOP of the stripes, so that you can remove the backing from the adhesive, and the stripes stay together, and a bit more rigid. Only after the stripes have been applied and dry, do you remove the transfer tape to reveal the stripes. Usually it is a bit translucent so yo ucan actually see the stripes. It helps keep out wrinkles as well since you are applying a stiffer package instead of thin, floppy vinyl by itself.
OK. I get it now. Thank you!!

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

i like the look of the stripes on a couple... not sure on a convertible though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page