To drop cats or not to drop cats - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

Right. I was wondering if I should get all 4 for the H pipe, so when I swap the cats back in I won't have to remove/re-install the O2 sensors from the H to the cats... or should I just get plugs for the rear?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

I have always run O/R pipes on my Mustangs before I got my 07. I'm glad the shop I get my stuff from started one up with O/R pipes on it for me so I could hear it before I pulled the trigger. WAAAAAAAYYYY too loud. And this is coming from a guy who Roadraces motorcycles, rides a turbo Busa with no exhaust and likes to shoot guns. Oh yeah, I like Slipknot too

I would suggest you listen to a system with no cats before deciding to ditch them. My $.02

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

I like the sound of the Flowmasters, but I'd like it a little bit louder. wonder if hi flow cats will help get me the volume I want...

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfournigault View Post
Right. I was wondering if I should get all 4 for the H pipe, so when I swap the cats back in I won't have to remove/re-install the O2 sensors from the H to the cats... or should I just get plugs for the rear?
Just swap them unless you have an extra $450 lying around to buy another set!

1965 Mustang Coupe
4.6L Member

i personally am running my 02 GT with flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a summit o/r h-pipe....personally i love the sound of it...its pretty throaty sound..i didnt order mil eliminators when i installed my pipe..and 3 days later my sel came on...its only been on for a little while...and i am pretty tired of seeing the ****...so word of advice...if you do go with this setup...order mil eliminators...performance and drivabilty wise..the code doesnt affect it....as for performance..i notice a little more tourqe off the line........well i hope this helps ya...good luck with your choice!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02silver_GT View Post
i personally am running my 02 GT with flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a summit o/r h-pipe....personally i love the sound of it...its pretty throaty sound..i didnt order mil eliminators when i installed my pipe..and 3 days later my sel came on...its only been on for a little while...and i am pretty tired of seeing the ****...so word of advice...if you do go with this setup...order mil eliminators...performance and drivabilty wise..the code doesnt affect it....as for performance..i notice a little more tourqe off the line........well i hope this helps ya...good luck with your choice!
MIL eliminators do not work on the 2005+ Mustang. You need to buy a tuner to turn off the 02 sensors.

Mods.
M-6550-3V Cams.
Whipple HO
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks 02 and jon... now, the next dilema... which tuner to get, and what sort of tune do I run? I have a K&N FIPK II 57 series cai and the Flows...
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonballi View Post
MIL eliminators do not work on the 2005+ Mustang. You need to buy a tuner to turn off the 02 sensors.
Really??? I thought they did.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 63Bmechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If you get rid of the cats, you'll get a P0420/P0430 (catalyst efficiency) code. It won't affect performance but is annoying. Only way to get rid of it is with a tune or mil eliminators...
ok, so it wont lower performance throwing that code? my tuner is in another state and the guys installing my long tubes say theyre going to have to remove my cats, this is scaring me because i wont be able to go to georgia to get my tuner any time soon.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Really??? I thought they did.
Unless someone has recently built a set...I was under the impression they do not exist.

Mods.
M-6550-3V Cams.
Whipple HO
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would get a superchip flashpaq tuner. Just log onto the website, click on all the mods you have on the mustang, and they will provide a tune immediately for download via USB right into your tuner. Then upload it into your mustang and your good. I have one and it is a big difference. YouTube - 08 Mustang Exhaust Flowmaster Driveby
Found this on you tube. american thunder axlebacks with summit racing o/r H pipe, no cats.
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Unless someone has recently built a set...I was under the impression they do not exist.
They actually exist and work great... I had a set on my car for 13 months with no codes. Bought them at brenspeed for like $60 shipped. They are like 1994-2008 mustang models.

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
a friend of mine told me you could hog out a pair or spark plug anti-foulers and put them in and then put the O2 sensors in them and it pulls your secondary sensors out of the exhaust and you do not get any codes. i put a pair on in december when my car had 31,000 miles and i just bought a tuner to turn them off at 62,000 miles and i never got a code.

total investment? $3. i no longer need them so if you want them i will send them to you for free.
PONY Member
S197 Member

The ones at brenspeed (mil eliminators) do not work on 07+ stangs. I know because I bought a pair for mine without researching properly. Ended up having to sell them, they will work on 05-06 mustangs according to bresnspeed.

I've been running an OR H and it sounds great. It will be loud, be prepared to have trouble hearing your wife/passenger/girlfriend while you're driving.. more so... lol.

2011 Black 5.0
6M - 3.73s - RTRs
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashog View Post
The ones at brenspeed (mil eliminators) do not work on 07+ stangs. I know because I bought a pair for mine without researching properly. Ended up having to sell them, they will work on 05-06 mustangs according to bresnspeed.

I've been running an OR H and it sounds great. It will be loud, be prepared to have trouble hearing your wife/passenger/girlfriend while you're driving.. more so... lol.
I stand corrected, sorry about that. They told me when I bought them that they were a universal design that worked for any mustang built after 04

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page