To drop cats or not to drop cats - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

To drop cats or not to drop cats

Hi everyone... I'm new to the Mustang forums. I have a 2005 Mustang GT Redfire 5 speed. I have just installed a K&N FIPK 57-2565 Cold Air kit and Flowmaster American Thunder axelbacks. I'm contemplating dropping the cats in favor of an off road H pipe. What issues should I be aware of with regard to the MIL sensors for the O2 CAT sensors? I would like to do a bolt on/off pipe, as I live in an emissions testing state, and will need to swap them out for testing. Look forward to recommendations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008
GT Member
5.0L Member

Do you have your stock heades on? If so just switch it back when the time comes for testing.
If you drop your cats you'll get a "code" because of it. That can be stopped by getting tune.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
--Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes, I do have the stock headers. That was my thought, getting a programmer and swapping the cats in and out when emissions testing comes every couple of years.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I would get a SCT tuner from Doug at Bamachips.com and that way you will get a lot more power. You will also get free tunes for your new bolt ons.

JLT CAI/BAMA tune,moto blue pullies,3:73`s,LPW girdle;Powerhouse DS,CHE safety loop,CHE LCA`S & Adjustable UCA,Kooks LT`S & O/R X Pipe,prothane MM`s,Steeda CMDP`S,Eibach springs,Tokico D specs,Polished TB(by Me),Steeda radiator support,Zex kit 100 shot. Taylor Relocation battery kit and cut off switch,PTC converter,Bogarts and Hosier QTP`S.
11:903 ET, 1.67 60`,111.897 MPH
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

You can have a tune for emissions that turns the rear cats back on when you need to have it tested. But with the O/R H you can have another tune that turns the rear 02s off. If not you'll get a cel code,.

Oh welcome to AFM

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

I don't think it's worth it to remove your cats. You will make better power on other mods. Not only that all you will be doing is making our air dirty. Our cars have pretty good exhaust for a factory vehicle. The only real gain in exhaust would be to install long tubes with cats. There you will notice a nice increase.

I'm "green" and I'm making more power than guys here with off road exhaust. Proof positive you can make clean power.

My .$02

Mods.
M-6550-3V Cams.
Whipple HO
JBA Headers
472rhwp 435rwtq
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008
GT Member
5.0L Member

I took the cat's off ( alittle gain can't tell but I like the sound better). It kinda dirty's the air but it's no worse then seeing a 18 wheeler blowing black smoke everywhere!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
--Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
If you get rid of the cats, you'll get a P0420/P0430 (catalyst efficiency) code. It won't affect performance but is annoying. Only way to get rid of it is with a tune or mil eliminators...

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

I've also considered hi-flow cats, as I'm not against preserving the environment. I'm looking for a bit more sound out of my Flowmasters, which an O/R H or X will give me. You folks who have programmers/tuners, any recommendations such as from BKid there are more than welcome. And thanks for the AFM welcome!
Classic Member
S197 Member

If you go with an O/R pipe, get the H. Flowmasters do not sound good with an X pipe.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

I was leaning toward an H if I do on O/R pipe... I wonder if I should get a separate set of O2 sensors so I wouldn't have to go back and forth with the same ones...
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfournigault View Post
I was leaning toward an H if I do on O/R pipe... I wonder if I should get a separate set of O2 sensors so I wouldn't have to go back and forth with the same ones...
Your car has 4 HO2S, two before the cats and two after. The upstream O2s control air/fuel inputs to the PCM. The rears only measure catalyst efficiency.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry... my bad. I meant if I go o/r pipe, should I get a 2nd set of sensors, and leave the existing ones in place with the cats... just plug and play so to speak...
PONY Member
S197 Member

I wouldn't do it, keep it nice and legal. There must be some other way you can gain some more power.

06 Mustang GT, red, standard trans.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfournigault View Post
Sorry... my bad. I meant if I go o/r pipe, should I get a 2nd set of sensors, and leave the existing ones in place with the cats... just plug and play so to speak...
Not sure I understand... The o/r pipe still has bungs for all 4 sensors. But you should still have the rears disabled.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page