T-Lok, 3.73gears, Fitch Fuel Catalyst
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Vlad
Thanks, but I am not looking for a CAI. I already have one, hopefully, lined up.

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Premium w/ Pony Package (Windveil Blue) - Auto Tran
Performance Mods 93 Octane Performance tune, JLT CAI, GT take-off Muffler
------Future Mods (don't know the order yet)-----
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

05-08 Mustang V6 C&L Intake and Xcalibrator 3 COMBO 05-06 Mustang V6 C&L Intake and Xcalibrator 2 COMBO [CNLX3V6COMBO] - $625.00 : Bamachips, The Mustang Tuning Source

Performance: C&L CAI with Xcal 3 Tuner. 93 Race tune by Bamachips. GT sway Bars. 8.8 Rear axle with 4.10 gears. Dual Magnaflow Exhaust.

Not performance... 7 inch In dash Pioneer DVD/touch screen deck, Shaker 500 system, Chrome taillight trim. Sequential taillights. Window tint, Viper alarm with remote start. Cobra radar detector with GPS. Black 18" bullitt wheels with Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z II Tires.
how I pay for my mods: andydew.myvi.net

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Thanks, but I am not looking for a CAI. I already have one, hopefully, lined up.
you talking about mine? its still sitting in my garage lol

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Apprentice

I had used Bama for a tuner for a 2000 Ranger I had with a 3.0L Engine. When I bought the truck it could not get out of its own way, it was such a sled. I bought the tuner from Doug and put in the software and the truck came alive. Albeit it was not going to beat a Corvette or Cobra, but it was a very big improvement and was fun to drive. It would leap out of the toll booths when I floored it and scream up to the shift point and bam, throw the shift.

So.. based on my previous experience, I decided to by am XCal 3 from Doug. Now having built many an engine, it may be true that he might tune them on the rich side, which I personally would prefer. Anyone who has built engines knows that if the engine goes lean that is disaester and burnt valves and pistons. Old rule of thumb was to always err towards the rich side. I would rather run a tad rich and pay a little extra for the gas, then penny pinch to the lean and end up buying a new engine. I assume with the Turbo engine, it ran lean and that is what killed it... not the tune from Bama Chips.
Anyway.. I will report on how my car runs after I get the unit from Doug and have a chance to flesh it out a bit.

Hope this provides some insight..... Remember.. to make power you need fuel and air...
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchris View Post
you talking about mine? its still sitting in my garage lol
Yes, yes I was.

And thanks David.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Well still haven't made up my mind. Bamachips seems great because you get a lot of different types of tunes and the costumer support is awesome, but I hear the tunes tend to run a bit on the rich side which is not good for the car... though might be better than lean.

Brenspeed does one tune and makes it for 3 octanes.

I am looking for a tune that is all around good for everyday dirving (mostly city as we as highway). A fun high performance tune. And a tune that I can put on for those LONG highway trips (~1500 miles) where I don't need a lot of power.

Suggestions?

Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Ok, I am soooooo confused now. haha. I am new to tuners as I have worked on a '67 Mustang for a few years. Anyways, I have a 2007 V6 Stang and I am getting an AEM Brute Force Intake. I was looking at tuners because everyone is saying that without it the intake will cause the motor to run lean.

So, I am now stuck between many options. I was looking for the freedom of having the customizable X3 from SCT but I hear about Brenspeed and Bama Chips tunes and I am now so confused that I am not sure if I am making sense.

If someone can please help me I would appreciate it. Just let me know what questions I need to answer to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

2013 GHIG Boss 302: Recaros, Torsen. Whiteline rear control arms, Barton shifter w/ two post bracket, Ford Racing Stinger mufflers (swapping soon), more to come.

SOLD!Natasha- Performance White 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium: MT, 401a with Cashmere Stripe, Comfort Package, 18" Polished Wheels.

Natalie- Wimbledon White 1967 Mustang coupe, 289 2bbl, Red Interior, 16x8 torque thrust II's, Custom Exhaust with Doug's Headers, MSD 6a Electronic Ignition, Grant Steering Wheel.
GT Member

I have experience with an SCT X-CAL 3 on a V6 automatic and on a GT manual.

Ordered the SCT with three "custom" tunes for the stock-except-a-filter-and-GT-takeoff-muffler V6, from Bamachips. It worked good. Tunes were 87 Performance, 91 Performance, and 91 Torque. All three improved the automatic shifting, all three improved throttle response, all three made the exhaust sound more "punchy".

Both the 91 tunes improved eighth-mile performance to a greater degree than the 87 tune. The Performance tune gave very slightly faster ETs than the Torque. The Torque gave very slightly higher terminal speeds than the Performance. Al three were significantly faster than stock.

I liked the 91 Torque on the street, lots of quick shove at very low RPM. The 87 Performance was nicer than stock, shift- and response-wise, but it eventually seemed to me to be wasted space on the tuner, which would hold the "canned" tunes and just three "custom" tunes.

When I transferred the SCT tuner to the pure-stock GT V8, I ordered a set of three V8 manual tunes from Bamachips, all 91 octane: Torque, Performance, Race.

I figured if I ever got into a situation where I needed to use 87 octane gasoline, I could put the stock tune back on. Stock is plenty powerful and pretty responsive on the manual V8.

Changing from V6 pretty-much-stock to V8 pure-stock involved receiving the new tunes as email attachments, uploading them to the tuner by way of supplied software. Painless, pretty much. It's also my understanding that Bamachips will update your custom tunes free, as you add features to your engine setup.

I understand the Race tune combines the low-end grunt of the Torque tune and the higher-end power of the Performance tune. The performance tune worked best at the track, principally because on the stock tires and with my stale stick/clutch skills, both the Torque and Race tunes were uncontrollable on launch.

I used the Performance tune on my 2700-mile trip through CA, AZ, NM, and TX. Averaged more than 24 miles per gallon, including some Touring at Grand speeds, some drag racing, and some mountain climbing. Rolling down the long hill from Flagstaff to Phoenix, got 31.9, by actual miles/gallons. The display showed nearly 40 for a while there.

When I got home I took off the tunes and got a free dealer oil/filter change, and haven't reinstalled the tune yet. Maybe for next Friday at Qualcomm. Getting 23.6 combined highway and around town, according to the computer, which I don't believe for a minute.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page