Cold Air Intake 2007 Mustang V6 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008 Thread Starter

Cold Air Intake 2007 Mustang V6

I know this is an old question but what is the best valued cai without a tune for a 2007 v6?

Thanks Much!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would get a tune no matter what but if your bent on getting some performance and possibly running lean then im pretty sure K&N claims to not need a tune, i sure wouldn't wanna risk it though

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Agree... K&N is about the only choice.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008
Apprentice

I agree with what XChris says.... get the tuner first... If your engine runs lean you will be doing a major rebuild or needing to put in a new motor. Lean is a recepie for disaester.... and if Ford sees the engine was running lean they will know and you can kiss your Warranty bye bye... and the cost will fall on you. Better to listen to the advice from XChris and Stlwagon than take the chance of losing a motor. It is always better to be running slightly richer than slightly leaner.

Those are my thoughts from experience..... LOL
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008
PONY Member

I put on the BBK without a tune as the manufacturer reccomends. I have had no issues but I the comments about "dissaster" concern me now.

Drive it like you stole it!

2012 GT500 Convertible Grabber Blue with White Stripes - Steeda Pulley and Borla ATAK axle backs
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008

I installed a AEM Brute Force CAI w/ a 91 octane tune on my V6. So when I sold my tuner (thinking I was going to sell the car). I kept the AEM knowing that it would still work w/o the tune. Well, after I drove the car w/o the tune I was surprised. To be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I'd just stick w/ the AEM and blow off the tune. The difference with and w/o the tune wasn't all that noticable. The AEM allows my car to breathe enough to reduce peddle lag (read: more "pep") And I switched back to 87 0ctane. I will say, if any mod is really worth getting, it's a better exhaust. The stock one stinks. So, get an exhaust and an AEM and you should be happy. Add a tune later if you think that isn't enough.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you might not have felt that big of a difference but your car might have, your not going to "feel" your car going lean, your probably doing damage to your car without a tune but hey, its not my car, i just wouldn't wanna take the risk, its either $400 for tunes and a tuner or $3000+ for a new motor

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008
V6 Member
S197 Member

Running lean simply means that the air/fuel mixture is not optimized and there is more air than there should be.

This means that the combustion in the cylinder is going to be hotter, hence, the motor will run hotter and be more susceptible to overheating.

Also, the air/fuel mixture is more susceptible to pre-ignition.

This means that the cylinder will fire before it's supposed to, causing a "pinging" or "rattling" noise when the engine is under load.

This pre-ignition, or pre-detonation, is what is most harmful to a motor. This is because the piston is not in the perfect position for the combustion.

The consequences of long-term and/or severe "pinging" are cracked pistons, wrist pin damage, and even holes in pistons.

Installing a CAI that leans out your motor is not in itself going to destroy it.

It's not great for it, but if you don't hear any pinging under load, then it's not bad enough to worry about.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008
V6 Member
S197 Member

Also, if you think your car is running lean, pull a spark plug and check.

If it's nice and light brown, then it's fine. If it's white, then you are running lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADLSORE View Post
Running lean simply means that the air/fuel mixture is not optimized and there is more air than there should be.

This means that the combustion in the cylinder is going to be hotter, hence, the motor will run hotter and be more susceptible to overheating.

Also, the air/fuel mixture is more susceptible to pre-ignition.

This means that the cylinder will fire before it's supposed to, causing a "pinging" or "rattling" noise when the engine is under load.

This pre-ignition, or pre-detonation, is what is most harmful to a motor. This is because the piston is not in the perfect position for the combustion.

The consequences of long-term and/or severe "pinging" are cracked pistons, wrist pin damage, and even holes in pistons.

Installing a CAI that leans out your motor is not in itself going to destroy it.

It's not great for it, but if you don't hear any pinging under load, then it's not bad enough to worry about.
BINGO! No ping, no problem!
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

you said it yourself, running a cai without a tune in itself is not going to blow anything right away but your knowingly doing damage to your car, even if its slow its still damage

Current Numbers:
S197 Member

Running a CAI with no tune is disasterous? I think that is completely untrue.. A cold air intake is intended to put colder air in the engine, not more air.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to cojakc
S&B also makes a nice intake tht doesnt need a tune at all from what i hear

2006 Black Mustang, 4.0 V6 Manual VORTECH V2 SUPERCHARGED @6PSI. 275 RWHP - 290 RWT
8.8 Rear end w/ Trak-lok & 3.73's - Flowmaster True Dual Exhaust

2012 Kona Blue 5.0 GT Premium, Manual
612rwhp, 517 TQ @ 8.6lbs Boost
401A Trim - Glass Roof - Borla ATAK - Tailight Trim - Louvers - Push to Start - Brembo Brakes w/19 inchers & Eagle f1s, VORTECH V3 TRIM w/intercooler
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatorey View Post
Running a CAI with no tune is disasterous? I think that is completely untrue.. A cold air intake is intended to put colder air in the engine, not more air.
Not to be rude but you would be completely wrong in that statement, a cold air intake does infact take in more air

Current Numbers:
PONY Member

Obviously there are two mpoints of view on this.

I just can't believe reputable manufacturers would sell these CAI's and say they work without a tune knowing they could damage your motor. In the wonderful sue happy USA I would bet they would have been sued if it happened before. Then they would just put a small note on the packaging- "not reccomended without a tune."

Drive it like you stole it!

2012 GT500 Convertible Grabber Blue with White Stripes - Steeda Pulley and Borla ATAK axle backs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page