2007 V6 Convertible Automatic.. Where should I start? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

2007 V6 Convertible Automatic.. Where should I start?

It was my dream to own a mustang since riding in my cousin's 1992 LX Hatchback on Daytona Beach.
Granted what I own isn't a V8 but I have bills to pay and gas isn't getting any cheaper! I compromised on engine displacement but I was pleasantly surprised on how good the 4.0L can handle itself.
Needless to say I'm not one to leave things stock for long and I've read up on many threads but would like to get some input back on where I should start with some simple and non-warranty threatening upgrades.
#1) Buy the Flash tuner now or wait later?
#2) Front fog light grill replacement vs. entire front facia & body kit?
#3 GT muffler swap vs. cat back dual Exhaust?

So tell me what you'd do or what you may have done I'd like to know
Thanks!!

"Nobody trusts anyone - or why did they put 'tilt' on a pinball machine?"
Steve McQueen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Welcome aboard... Surf around our 2005+ talk and tech sections for some ideas.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastOptician View Post
[ ... ]

So tell me what you'd do or what you may have done I'd like to know
Thanks!!
The underlying question, one that only you can answer, is: what kind of enjoyment do you want from your Mustang. I think there are some clues to your own answers in the list you presented, but I'll frame this response a little differently.

If you want general all-around enjoyment, all you need to invest in is a two-bucket washing system, a good map book, and a gasoline credit card. Everything else is included in the original purchase.

If you want driving pleasure of the twisty kind, you'll need to add the GT takeoff rear sway ("stabilizer" in the parts book) bar, GT takeoff front bar, GT takeoff Bullitt wheels with Pirelli tires, aftermarket springs with a 1 or 1.25-inch "drop", and aftermarket struts/shocks. You can do them singly in any order, all at once, or in the order I mentioned them, which is pretty much what I did; it's a little more complicated than that, but not much.

If you want driving pleasure of the acceleration kind, get that Cool Air Induction kit with tuner, a set of higher-number rear gears and a Trak-lok. More extreme stuff in that vein is available, but pretty much cancels out any benefits of starting with a V6. GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER!

If you want a show-stopper's variety of pleasure, the body kits, or piece-by-piece add-ons will take as much money as you want to throw at them. For my part, I'm against putting that kind of stuff on the V6 Mustang; part of the motive for my choice was the relatively clean shape and detail of the "lower" model, something that pretty much stands on its own - if you let it. Those "macho" kits, and even the racing stripes, seem like over-compensation to me, and in the case of the V6, they say, "Hey, look at me! Ain't I rough and tough, and 'agressive'-looking? Don't look too close, though; I can't really back it up!"

Of course, you can do any or all of those things, in parallel or series, and have Mustang pleasure in the doing of each and all of them. My attitude is a kind of "If it doesn't improve performance one way or another, I'm pretty much not interested". That's not to say I don't have an appearance mod or two (blackened the grill pony and the faux gas cap, painted the calipers tungsten grey, actually bought a "shorty" antenna; actually washed, clay-barred, polished, and waxed the car once in 20 months), but in my book the parts are a bit of a waste. EXCEPT for the lowering springs: they make the car look much, much better, as well as lowering the center of gravity, thereby reducing nosedive on braking and body lean in cornering.

So, after all is said and done (if it ever is), I say
Get the sway bars
GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER
Get the wheels/tires
Get the springs
Get the shocks
Get the tuner
Get the CAI

After that, it's up to your taste, but that basic kit will give you 90% of the pleasure you can get. You'll look good, feel good, and know you done good. The rest is an expensive 10% to add not-much in the way of improved driving pleasure.

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)

Last edited by FYouGitive; 07-27-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: BIG ERROR of omission

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

THANK YOU! You hit the nail on the head.
I'm very much of the same mindset. Performance has the higher importance vs. overall look I like the idea of someone having to do a double take to figure out if I'm in a V6 or V8.
I think your suggestions are going to be easier on my wallet and will also give me ample time between upgrades to figure out what step to go to next. Which I'm betting is half of the fun as well.

Steve McQueen

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to nicky chaos
Congrats, and enjoy your new Mustang!

2008 GT Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I found a set of GT take off's on ebay for $70.00 (w/shipping) and installed the single exhaust without even jacking the car up! (Which is awesome considering I'm no small guy.) The sound is definitely better so I'm anxious to get a kit to switch to dual exhaust.
I have the sway bars on order as well so I'm well underway to marking off the up-grade list.
btw.. just sent in my first payment on the car too lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYouGitive View Post
The underlying question, one that only you can answer, is: what kind of enjoyment do you want from your Mustang. I think there are some clues to your own answers in the list you presented, but I'll frame this response a little differently.

If you want general all-around enjoyment, all you need to invest in is a two-bucket washing system, a good map book, and a gasoline credit card. Everything else is included in the original purchase.

If you want driving pleasure of the twisty kind, you'll need to add the GT takeoff rear sway ("stabilizer" in the parts book) bar, GT takeoff front bar, GT takeoff Bullitt wheels with Pirelli tires, aftermarket springs with a 1 or 1.25-inch "drop", and aftermarket struts/shocks. You can do them singly in any order, all at once, or in the order I mentioned them, which is pretty much what I did; it's a little more complicated than that, but not much.

If you want driving pleasure of the acceleration kind, get that Cool Air Induction kit with tuner, a set of higher-number rear gears and a Trak-lok. More extreme stuff in that vein is available, but pretty much cancels out any benefits of starting with a V6. GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER!

If you want a show-stopper's variety of pleasure, the body kits, or piece-by-piece add-ons will take as much money as you want to throw at them. For my part, I'm against putting that kind of stuff on the V6 Mustang; part of the motive for my choice was the relatively clean shape and detail of the "lower" model, something that pretty much stands on its own - if you let it. Those "macho" kits, and even the racing stripes, seem like over-compensation to me, and in the case of the V6, they say, "Hey, look at me! Ain't I rough and tough, and 'agressive'-looking? Don't look too close, though; I can't really back it up!"

Of course, you can do any or all of those things, in parallel or series, and have Mustang pleasure in the doing of each and all of them. My attitude is a kind of "If it doesn't improve performance one way or another, I'm pretty much not interested". That's not to say I don't have an appearance mod or two (blackened the grill pony and the faux gas cap, painted the calipers tungsten grey, actually bought a "shorty" antenna; actually washed, clay-barred, polished, and waxed the car once in 20 months), but in my book the parts are a bit of a waste. EXCEPT for the lowering springs: they make the car look much, much better, as well as lowering the center of gravity, thereby reducing nosedive on braking and body lean in cornering.

So, after all is said and done (if it ever is), I say
Get the sway bars
GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER
Get the wheels/tires
Get the springs
Get the shocks
Get the tuner
Get the CAI

After that, it's up to your taste, but that basic kit will give you 90% of the pleasure you can get. You'll look good, feel good, and know you done good. The rest is an expensive 10% to add not-much in the way of improved driving pleasure.

Steve McQueen

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
You are going to like the look of the duals coming out the rear. Are you planning on cutting the bumper or ordering a GT take-off bumper ?

btw, i love your Inspector Gadget quote

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Actually I'm going to get a purchase a rear valance then add the duals.
I don't like how much the stock V6 bumper shows underneath so the valance will add a little more coverage. Unless I can stumble across someone selling a GT rear bumper in performance white who will cut a deal with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
You are going to like the look of the duals coming out the rear. Are you planning on cutting the bumper or ordering a GT take-off bumper ?

btw, i love your Inspector Gadget quote

Steve McQueen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page