Originally Posted by GoFastOptician View Post
[ ... ]
So tell me what you'd do or what you may have done I'd like to know
The underlying question, one that only you can answer, is: what kind of enjoyment do you want from your Mustang. I think there are some clues to your own answers in the list you presented, but I'll frame this response a little differently.
If you want general all-around enjoyment, all you need to invest in is a two-bucket washing system, a good map book, and a gasoline credit card. Everything else is included in the original purchase.
If you want driving pleasure of the twisty kind, you'll need to add the GT takeoff rear sway ("stabilizer" in the parts book) bar, GT takeoff front bar, GT takeoff Bullitt wheels with Pirelli tires, aftermarket springs with a 1 or 1.25-inch "drop", and aftermarket struts/shocks. You can do them singly in any order, all at once, or in the order I mentioned them, which is pretty much what I did; it's a little more complicated than that, but not much.
If you want driving pleasure of the acceleration kind, get that Cool Air Induction kit with tuner, a set of higher-number rear gears and a Trak-lok. More extreme stuff in that vein is available, but pretty much cancels out any benefits of starting with a V6. GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER!
If you want a show-stopper's variety of pleasure, the body kits, or piece-by-piece add-ons will take as much money as you want to throw at them. For my part, I'm against putting that kind of stuff on the V6 Mustang; part of the motive for my choice was the relatively clean shape and detail of the "lower" model, something that pretty much stands on its own - if you let it. Those "macho" kits, and even the racing stripes, seem like over-compensation to me, and in the case of the V6, they say, "Hey, look at me! Ain't I rough and tough, and 'agressive'-looking? Don't look too close, though; I can't really back it up!"
Of course, you can do any or all of those things, in parallel or series, and have Mustang pleasure in the doing of each and all of them. My attitude is a kind of "If it doesn't improve performance one way or another, I'm pretty much not interested". That's not to say I don't have an appearance mod or two (blackened the grill pony and the faux
gas cap, painted the calipers tungsten grey, actually bought a "shorty" antenna; actually washed, clay-barred, polished, and waxed the car once in 20 months), but in my book the parts are a bit of a waste. EXCEPT for the lowering springs: they make the car look much, much
better, as well as lowering the center of gravity, thereby reducing nosedive on braking and body lean in cornering.
So, after all is said and done (if it ever is), I say
Get the sway bars
GET THAT GT TAKEOFF MUFFLER
Get the wheels/tires
Get the springs
Get the shocks
Get the tuner
Get the CAI
After that, it's up to your taste, but that basic kit will give you 90% of the pleasure you can get. You'll look good, feel good, and know you done good. The rest is an expensive 10% to add not-much in the way of improved driving pleasure.