Ford Racing and my Ford dealer - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008 Thread Starter

Ford Racing and my Ford dealer

Hi all. I recently acquired my 4th Mustang, a used 2007 V6 convertible. My first was one of the original 64 1/2 models back in 1965.

I bought the car simply because I had sold my motorcycle and wanted a convertible to replace it. I had no intentions of modifying it in any way, but after doing some research I decided to have the FRPP Power Upgrade (dual exhausts and CAI) put on. To avoid any warranty hassles I decided to buy it from my Ford dealer and have them install it.

This morning I called three local Ford dealers and none of them knew what I was talking about. I finally looked up the part number myself for one of them. He wrote it down and said he was going to look into it and call me back. That was four hours ago and I haven't heard from him.

So then I called a local speed shop. The guy hadn't heard of this particular package, but quickly looked it up and gave me a price; however, he said that they didn't do installs and I would have to take it elsewhere for that. He suggested the Ford dealer for warranty reasons. I told him I would get back to him. I want to see if the Ford dealer calls me back.

Somehow I didn't think it would be this difficult to spend money.

Retiredone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
PONY Member

I ran into a similar problem when I was looking to get a CAI, and I eventually just decided to go with aftermarket stuff, because IMO the FRRP stuff offers less of a performance gain in the end.

2005 Torch red, predator 93 octane, K&N filter, Pypes true duals, Eibach Pro-kit springs,4.10 posi 8.8 rear end. GT fanblades with Eagle F1's, GT500 rear bumper/spoiler/front splitter
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
GT Member

Aftermarket stuff does seem to perform better and Ive talked to dealerships before and their not much into modifications. Just put on aftermarket and if warranty issues are needed just take em off.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

HI, i had the package you are looking at installed on my car about a month after i got it. It is really nice, i could tell a difference in acceleration immediatley. After market stuffis nice and can give you bigger gains however if you do something too etreme it will kill the engine quicker and the warranty is a nice thing to have. I am having trouble with the fuel gauge on mine and something as small as that will probably cost a hundred dollars or so. I had to call around to several places(about ten)., i finally got the package for 840 with the exhaust, CAI, and tune, and had it installed for 300. My advice would be spend a little extra if you have to keep the warranty.

2008 v6 Pony Package.
Performance mods: Aluminum Driveshaft, Screamin' Deamon Ignition Coil, Red Livewires... and an STS turbo kit with an intercooler,and water methanol injection.

5 psi~ 286rwhp, 331 rwtq

Other Mods: Window Louvers, 2 10" MA subs, 1200 watt RMS Hifonics amp. Tial 50mm BOV.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

My dealer didn't want to install FRPP springs because they were "performance parts." They finally agreed because I argued they are Ford parts and the install is the same as for stock ones.

2005 Windveil Blue V-6, Man. Trans, GT Dual exh. and mufflers, FRPP X-pipe, JBA shorty headers, CA Spec X-Charger 3.0, XXtuning tune, throttle body coolant bypass, 180 F thermostat, Moss Mustang Oil Cooler, GT 18" Fanblades, SSI Ducktail Spoiler, CDC chin spoiler, FRPP strut tower brace, FRPP lowering springs, FRPP struts and shocks, GT front and rear sway bars, GT front brakes, GT 8.8" rearend, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft, Stewart Warner boost gauge in Roush vent pod. 275 rwhp, 294 rwtq.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008
Apprentice

When I first got my 2007 Convertible I went to the parts dept at my dealership.... and when I started to ask about the upgrade parts, the parts dept person told me I had to talk to the Motorsports Dept as those parts were Ford Motorsports parts. My Dealership had a Motorsports Dept so I was able to discuss with him the dual exhaust upgrade and he even got one of the mechanics to take me out to his personal car as he had just recently installed the dual exhausts.

As usual, Ford seems to confuse things by making the performance parts available from the Motorsports Group and not through the normal parts dept. channel... Why did they do that... because they are stupid and for the same reason did not offer the t-lok in the V6... they should have just put the 8.8 rear in both vehicles with the t-lok as standard equipment on the GT and on the V6 and charged the maybe $200 additional.... instead they do something stupid. Oh well... and leave it up to us to either put the t-lock in the 7.5 or change out the rear to the 8.8.

So... remember that the performance parts are Motorsports and mention this to the Parts Dept People and they may be able to help you ..... I know my dealer will install... and as it says in the literature, it will NOT affect the warranty.

Good Luck.....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw2890 View Post
HI, i had the package you are looking at installed on my car about a month after i got it. It is really nice, i could tell a difference in acceleration immediatley.
I'm glad to hear that. One question. The Ford web site says that their CAI requires "premium" fuel, but it doesn't say whether this premium fuel is 91 or 93 octane. Since you have this CAI, which one is it? Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

There are several dealerships here in Denver,Co that will install the FRPP upgrades,they'll take your money no questions asked.They even install the Roush S/C's.O'Meara Ford is prolly one of the most performance oriented dealers in the Denver area.

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredone View Post
I'm glad to hear that. One question. The Ford web site says that their CAI requires "premium" fuel, but it doesn't say whether this premium fuel is 91 or 93 octane. Since you have this CAI, which one is it? Thanks in advance.
A CAI doesn't require premium fuel but the tune ford provides with the CAI might be a premium fuel only tune in which case you would need to specify 91-93 depending on whats in your area

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Apprentice
S197 Member

When I had my muffler replaced from the accident, I just gave the part number and the Ford dealership ordered it.

2008 V6 Mustang w/ Pony and Premium Package| BBK Cold Air Intake | Ford Racing Exhaust | Ford Racing K lowering springs | Sequential tail lights | Shorty Antennae |
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

The website says that in one spot but in another it says normal fuel works. I asked the tech. and he said I could use regular unleaded as long as it did not spark knock. He reccomended mid grade, and thats what i use. I tried normal in it once and it did in fact knock. With mid grade tho you can pull out and stomp it to the floor and it runs perfectly, so that should be fine. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

2008 v6 Pony Package.
Performance mods: Aluminum Driveshaft, Screamin' Deamon Ignition Coil, Red Livewires... and an STS turbo kit with an intercooler,and water methanol injection.

5 psi~ 286rwhp, 331 rwtq

Other Mods: Window Louvers, 2 10" MA subs, 1200 watt RMS Hifonics amp. Tial 50mm BOV.
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshw2890 View Post
HI, i had the package you are looking at installed on my car about a month after i got it. It is really nice, i could tell a difference in acceleration immediatley. After market stuffis nice and can give you bigger gains however if you do something too etreme it will kill the engine quicker and the warranty is a nice thing to have. I am having trouble with the fuel gauge on mine and something as small as that will probably cost a hundred dollars or so. I had to call around to several places(about ten)., i finally got the package for 840 with the exhaust, CAI, and tune, and had it installed for 300. My advice would be spend a little extra if you have to keep the warranty.
By law, using aftermarket parts will NOT void your warranty. If you need a warranty repair they must do it for you unless it is PROVEN that any modification that was done was the direct cause of the failure.

See Magnussen-Moss Act.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
PONY Member

Ted Russell Ford in Knoxville is the only TN dealer indicated on FRPs website. 865-693-7611. Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, AL is relatively close to you as well and is listed. 256-539-9441

Their are two other locations listed in TN but their not dealers but may be authorized to install these parts since their distributors.

Ford Racing Performance Parts [Where To Buy]

10 Red Candy Metallic GT
05 Sonic Blue Metallic GT (Sold)

97 Crystal White Cobra (Sold)

98 Rio Red GT Convertible (Sold)
82 Black Mercury Capri 5.0 (Deceased)
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
By law, using aftermarket parts will NOT void your warranty. If you need a warranty repair they must do it for you unless it is PROVEN that any modification that was done was the direct cause of the failure.

See Magnussen-Moss Act.
Like many matters of law, it's important to balance the cost of the process with the potential outcomes.

You get yourself into a situation where you and Mr Ford are head-to-head over a matter of fact, you better be well-armed with science, logic, and data.

Much better to resolve any disputes at the before-contest level. Be calm and show your understanding of the position of the service writer, the service manager, the dealership, and Mr Ford. They are going to want to save the corporation as much money as possible, without completely alienating you or any potential future buyers of Ford products.

They are also bound by the same rules you are: beneath it all, you are responsible for your actions (products). If there was a failure due to materials or workmanship, or design, Ford must make it right. If the failure was due to mistreatment or misuse by you, Ford doesn't have to give you the time of day. They will cut you a little slack if they can, but you need to make them want to.

Unreasonable demands or threats won't do you much good. "Prove it" may be the law, but it's not a likely road to satisfaction.

"In this universe there are things
that just don't yield to thinking
—plain or fancy—Dude".
—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYouGitive View Post
Like many matters of law, it's important to balance the cost of the process with the potential outcomes.

You get yourself into a situation where you and Mr Ford are head-to-head over a matter of fact, you better be well-armed with science, logic, and data.

Much better to resolve any disputes at the before-contest level. Be calm and show your understanding of the position of the service writer, the service manager, the dealership, and Mr Ford. They are going to want to save the corporation as much money as possible, without completely alienating you or any potential future buyers of Ford products.

They are also bound by the same rules you are: beneath it all, you are responsible for your actions (products). If there was a failure due to materials or workmanship, or design, Ford must make it right. If the failure was due to mistreatment or misuse by you, Ford doesn't have to give you the time of day. They will cut you a little slack if they can, but you need to make them want to.

Unreasonable demands or threats won't do you much good. "Prove it" may be the law, but it's not a likely road to satisfaction.

"In this universe there are things
that just don't yield to thinking
—plain or fancy—Dude".
—J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson
A good way to approach it for sure. I keep a good relationship with my dealership. I have no doubt that they would work with me. For instance if I had a problem with my convertible top motor I am guessing they will not usher me out the door because I have a CAI and tune on my car.

If something I put on the car caused another part to fail for sure, I would not expect Ford to pay for that, nor would I pursue it. Same if I were to abuse my car by not keeping up with the oil changes and maintenance.

They know they have me as a loyal customer now, and I think they will treat me as such should I ever need warranty service.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page