regarding msrp vs. actual sales price - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008 Thread Starter

regarding msrp vs. actual sales price

Hello, having been using the public transit and never step foot in a car dealership for the last 11 years, I can say I'm pretty much out of touch with the current auto market.

I'm probably going to be getting a new '08 V6 with the Pony package along with whatever incentives they offer for the "year end sale".

Can anyone shed some lights on what actual $ I'm looking at?

Any help is greatly appreciated

bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008 Thread Starter

forgot to mention, I might move from NY to NC in a few month. I'm trying to figure out wether I should buy now and drive south, or wait and buy when I get there?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

hi there I to loved mustang before i had one. don't know how much the 08 v6 are but i am guessing its going to be about 20k. you can get a nice used one, (05 06) for around 13-15k.

tell you one thing tho......... mustangs get to you, once you get one baaam it's like a sickness, will not stop. you are going to want to know as much as you can about your car. then the nods come. ahhaha
you most likely start with like a new muffler. then you can't stop after that, cai ,tune, rims, well you know what i am talking about
you are going to love it. dose not matter what mustang you get,v6 v8,
the mustang charm will pull you in

mustang v6, s&b intake, with painted cover flowmaster, 16x7 in front 17x9 in back,with 2 inch drop in the front, costume paint on rims, black grill, with gt fog lights with angel lights, and running mustang, smoked headlights, with headlight splitters, smoked out turning lights, racing stripes, blackout trunk kit, all new audio system, 4 jl audio 5x7 speakers front and back 2 jl 12 inch w6v2 with 2 jl 500/1 amps and pa system 1967 mustang working on
-----------
one act of kindness at a time

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you buy in NY and transfer registration in NC you will have to pay a transfer tax based on value of car The law requires drivers license and registration to transfer with in 3 months
will require adress change
some states do not care
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
Rookie
S197 Member

When I bought my GT 2 1/2 years ago (ie: when Ford dealers didn't have a problem moving their Mustang inventory), I was able to get it for dealer invoice price (which at the time was $25,560). I basically kept looking at fordvehicles.com, looking for inventory in my metro area, waited until the exact car I wanted was on a lot, and clicked through to the "request a quote" step on the website. They sent me an e-mail with their proposed price (which, from my internet research, I realized was dealer invoice) and I set up an appointment to come in and take it away.

Couldn't have been easier (well, except the whole "waiting until the exact model I wanted was in stock" part).

So couple pieces of advice:
1) do your research. Know what the dealer invoice is, as well as MSRP
2) you're already on the internet - send e-mails to different dealers (see if you can get their "fleet department") asking what they'd charge you for the car you want. Only visit those dealerships that give you a decent e-mail quote.
3) be prepared to walk away if you don't get the deal you want.

2006 GT Coupe Premium, Manual, Tungsten Grey, IUP, Active Anti-Theft, Wheel Locks
Mods: Sequential Taillights, 8" Shorty Antenna, FORD on hood, Hurst shifter with t-handle, Steeda UDP
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008
PONY Member

Wait until you get to NC. Both states will rape you on taxes and registrations if you buy now. Plus NC used to be 3% auto sales tax but that was awhile ago, it may be the full 6% now. Worth checking into tho.

10 Red Candy Metallic GT
05 Sonic Blue Metallic GT (Sold)

97 Crystal White Cobra (Sold)

98 Rio Red GT Convertible (Sold)
82 Black Mercury Capri 5.0 (Deceased)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008 Thread Starter

thank you all for the helpful info.

another question, if I was to look for an used one 05 and beyond, what should I look out for and which particular year stands out to you?

thanks again
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Right now there is a $1500 customer cash incentive on the Mustang along with a $500 Ford Credit bonus (if you finance through Ford Motor Credit). When you add that to the discounts most dealers are giving on the 08 you should save about another $2000. That would be a total of $4000. Plus, if you can find one that has been on the lot a while, there is an "aged inventory" discount.

I bought my 07 GT premium new last October. The sticker was 29,700+. With all discounts applied I ended up paying $22670.

For more info on the rebates go to :
Ford Mustang 2009: Get Great Cash Back Offers & Incentives | Ford Vehicles

2007 Mustang GT
Windveil Blue
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008
S197 Member

First, as far as the Vehicle Tax in North Carolina, you have to pay a Tax based on valuation when you "register and renew" the vehicle in NC. Whether it is a new car purchased there or brought into the state.
"Vehicle Valuation
Effective January 1993, the North Carolina General Assembly created a special tax class for licensed motor vehicles and trailers. The major feature of NCGS 105-330 is that the owner of a licensed vehicle or trailer receives a tax bill approximately three months after the tag is renewed or issued".

Check NADA.com cost for the zip code for both NY and NC and see the approximate difference in cost for that location. I have found it is generally, if there is any, about $500.

Last edited by xxxxxxxxVintageV8; 08-23-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spell check
SHELBY GT 500 Member

i just peeked last night on the way home at some new stangs. the gt had the same silver rims as my g/f`s 06, the spoiler was the same as my 05 vs, the flat one on the 07`s. had the leather int and the sticker said 34,000 something. even with the 5000 incentive, thats alot of money. it had the hours shoe/running pony emblems on the frt fenders with the 45 on it.

05 V6 auto,
SHELBY GT 500 Member

mistake

the gt had the 17 rims and the 5 spoke. the standard had the rims like the 06. i think they sparkle more than the silver and grey ones my 05 came with

05 V6 auto,
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

$500 dollar discount for $38 price

When I ordered mine in 2004, the salesman, Fred-Fred, (he was legiondary in this forum back then) told me about this discount:

AQHA - PARTNER OFFERS

Do not mention the membership until the contract is made, then, present your membership card for an additional $500.00 off.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
S197 Member

I have used this method before with great success. First go to the Edmunds website and find the actual dealer cost for the vehicle you want with the options you want (this is not the same as invoice). Then realize that the dealer gets a pay back of 3% of the sticker price regardless of what you pay for the car. After you add transportation costs you are in a position to know what a reasonable price for the vehicle would be. In the past I have made a sheet with a column for dealer cost and a column for MSRP for the vehicle and each option and put this in a word document, I then forwarded this to 12 dealers via email 5 dropped out right away because many don't want to deal with a customer who knows what he is doing. I then had a run off with the remaining dealers and ended up buying the vehicle online for $300 over cost and best of all I didn't have to go though the dealer showroom shuffle.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008 Thread Starter

another confusing aspect

Just saw a new special regional offer from Ford dealers in the Durham, NC area. It says 0% APR for 72 month, but then I checked the fine print and it says:

"72 months at $13.89 per month per $1,000 financed regardless of down payment. Residency restrictions apply. Excludes Shelby GT500. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 9/2/2008. See dealer for qualifications and complete details"

I thought the APR for an auto loan works the same way as the APR on your credit cards.

And what about all these other year end offers?
3.9% APR financing for 36 months
4.9% APR financing for 48 months
5.9% APR financing for 60 months

billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page