2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

yep, they were some good tunes. still have a few of those in my car today

so, for those of you that have switched tunes before, how much of a difference is there between 87 and 93. car is being inspected today, so in taking out the tune and CAI for inspection, i am gonna to clean the filter and load up the 93 til it gets cold outside.

do i get a bigger or more like

2007 Black GT - JLTII, XCAL3, Flowmaster some tint, some audio. all for now
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I wish I could run 87

1965 Mustang Coupe

Apprentice
S197 Member

haha. yeah. i doesnt hurt the wallet quite as much. i just never got around to switching the tune. partly due to prices, but becuase i always ran out of gas at the wrong time.

oh well. gonna happen tonight

2007 Black GT - JLTII, XCAL3, Flowmaster some tint, some audio. all for now
Snackmaster

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for ALL the responses here. It's probably half mental/ half reality but I can feel a total difference in the performance of the car.

I crunched numbers and even though the savings aren't spectacular, we're on a tight budget for this trip so every penny counts.

If you figure roughly 400 miles on a 16 gallon tank (they are 16 aren't they?) I'll be saving in the neighborhood of $30 at current prices (for 9 or 10 total tanks of gas) switching back to the 87 octane. We're at 3.53 for 87 right now compared to 3.70 for 91. Now again, not much savings BUT that equals a dinner or a half a tank of gas in the long run. We're not destitute by any means but we want to have fun and not be burdened with bills after this big trip. As it stands right now we're doing a 12 day road trip and putting nothing on credit cards. Of course hotels are reserved on them but we already know what we're paying and have set that aside to go on the bills.

Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgingtwine View Post
yep, they were some good tunes. still have a few of those in my car today

so, for those of you that have switched tunes before, how much of a difference is there between 87 and 93. car is being inspected today, so in taking out the tune and CAI for inspection, i am gonna to clean the filter and load up the 93 til it gets cold outside.

do i get a bigger or more like

Like I said in my last post... I can feel a big difference. Is it mental? Could be. You do get more aggressive tunes with the higher octane tunes so I think you might be somewhere in between a and a. Maybe more like a .
BOSS Member

Garage
I feel for you. It's like going from Crack to Baby Asprin. It's not permanent and that's a good thing.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I feel for you. It's like going from Crack to Baby Asprin. It's not permanent and that's a good thing.

So the good news is in a few weeks I'll be "crackin' out" again...

I love your analogy.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Last year on my trip to Cincy, I did a little comparing. 87 stock tune on the way out, 91 tune on the way home. Same roads, same speeds. the diff was 2mpg and the fun loss factor. Have fun on your trip.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
Apprentice

You get better MPG on higher octanes... I've tested it.
Snackmaster

We'll see how it all goes. I've been purposely driving our 4 banger Jeep Wrangler to work as it's pretty darn slow. Now when I get in the 06 GT it'll feel like a rocket.

That's my theory.
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks again for ALL the responses here. It's probably half mental/ half reality but I can feel a total difference in the performance of the car.

I crunched numbers and even though the savings aren't spectacular, we're on a tight budget for this trip so every penny counts.

If you figure roughly 400 miles on a 16 gallon tank (they are 16 aren't they?) I'll be saving in the neighborhood of $30 at current prices (for 9 or 10 total tanks of gas) switching back to the 87 octane. We're at 3.53 for 87 right now compared to 3.70 for 91. Now again, not much savings BUT that equals a dinner or a half a tank of gas in the long run. We're not destitute by any means but we want to have fun and not be burdened with bills after this big trip. As it stands right now we're doing a 12 day road trip and putting nothing on credit cards. Of course hotels are reserved on them but we already know what we're paying and have set that aside to go on the bills.

Your numbers are predicated on getting the same mileage with 91 and 87 octane fuel. Your mileage is better with 91. Mine went up almost 2 1/2 miles per gallon on the high octane fuel which made the difference in cost virtually a wash. A stop a McDonalds for a Big Mac is more expensive than the difference in cost per 1000 miles to run 91 octane.
S197 Member

When gas got close to $4, I put the 87 tune in, and the car has been running fine. This week I filled up with 91 octane at $3.49 and put the 91 tune back in -- the car runs smoother and faster, but mile mileage has gone down from 16.5 to 15.6. Don't know if is the tune or the right foot
Snackmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMeister View Post
Your numbers are predicated on getting the same mileage with 91 and 87 octane fuel. Your mileage is better with 91. Mine went up almost 2 1/2 miles per gallon on the high octane fuel which made the difference in cost virtually a wash. A stop a McDonalds for a Big Mac is more expensive than the difference in cost per 1000 miles to run 91 octane.
I'm sold... I just re-tuned to 91 (never filled with 87 yet as I was running out the tank first) and I'll just try and stay off the pedal a bit on the road. I'll post back how the mileage was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieW View Post
When gas got close to $4, I put the 87 tune in, and the car has been running fine. This week I filled up with 91 octane at $3.49 and put the 91 tune back in -- the car runs smoother and faster, but mile mileage has gone down from 16.5 to 15.6. Don't know if is the tune or the right foot

Hey Charlie! Welcome to the site. It's good to see another local on here...

I suspect most of the problems are foot related from what everyone has said but we'll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page