Exhaust opinion - 2008 Mustang GT 5spd - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exhaust opinion - 2008 Mustang GT 5spd

Hi,

I've been reading alot of threads on exhaust sounds, listening to clips and they have all been helpful.

I was hoping I can get a few opinions from a different perspective.

Due to work I do alot of talking on my cell phone in my car through my Kenwood DNX5120.

I'm not worried so much about the exhaust being too loud but more about the ability for me to continue to be able to talk on my cell phone. I don't want something so loud inside the car that the people I am talking to can't hear or understand me or vice versa.

I'm looking for a nice low bass like rumble without a ton of drone.

I have been looking at a few exhausts:

FRPP GTA's
Boomtubes
Flowpath
Bassani Street

Any opinions on interior noise level and the ability to talk on a handsfree bluetooth device would be great.

Thank You,

Marc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I have the GTAs and they sound great, no drone and are loud enought when you hit the gas.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
5.0L Member

Smile Flows

I have some flowmasters on my 89. They sound great, as for the phone you can keep them pretty quit while cruising, but when you want to gas it, youll hear them, they have an awesome muscle sound, if you havent checked them out yet take a look!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i ran flowmaster 40's and an o/r h pipe on my 02 gt. it was almost silent at part throttle cruing down the highway.

my 05 gt has an o/r x pipe and stock mufflers and it is quiet until i let the back seat down. then it is much louder in the cabin. i just bought a flowmaster axle back from a guy on ebay. i will let you know how they sound when i get them on.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

I think your best bet is with the GTA's. Decent price too

05 Mustang GT Coupe (Modifications in profile)
91 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (Bone Stock)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
S197 Member

I guess this all depends on what you are looking for; I was looking for something a little louder than stock with no drone and got the GTA's about 14 months ago. I love them and I believe that they have the best looking tips (4") that I have seen on any axle back system.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
PONY Member

If you want a nice smooth deep rumble that's not too loud, go with the Flowmasters, even if alot of people hate on them because they're the norm. You can always tell when a mustang is coming down the road, it has it's own unique sound and that's a main reason why I have always loved Stangs, and 95% of the time it has Flows I can definitely tell you NOT to even consider SLP Loudmouths (not sure if you were) if you don't want it loud. Those were my first axlebacks (see, I even tried to be openminded about other exhausts), but I still came back to the Flowmasters and love 'em!!

'08 GT
5.0l Kenne Bell/23.5psi, dual BAP w/quad GT500 pumps, ZEX 25 shot, Holley 4bbl., 105mm TB w/Tornado spacer, Nitto 335/25/22's, new points and plugs.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
Apprentice

I have the Borla Agressive System on my '05 GT. It's a lot louder than my '08 Bullitt. If I had it to do over, I would do the Borla Standard for the Mustang and not the Agressive. I may go back a step, but I do like the sound they make! Since I have the Bullitt, I now have a quieter car that I drive daily but is just as fun.

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I have the GTAs and they sound great, no drone and are loud enought when you hit the gas.
+1...I have a convertible too and have no problems with my bluetooth.

07 GT Prem Vert, Vista Blue, Charcoal Int w/ Satin Alum Trim, Manual, 3:55's, 18" Polished Wheels Mods, Appearance: MRT two-tone light bar, Midwest Auto mirror covers and radiator cover extensions, Billet E-brake handle, cupholder trim, map light accent, door locks, door lock grommets, door sill accent plate bars, & mirror control kit, Roush spoiler, shift knob & floormats, Custom painted plenum and fuse box covers Performance: JLT II CAI w/ SCT XCAL2 93 tune, GTA's
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thank you very much for the responses.

The flowmasters you mention, which model are you referring to? There are 2-3 I believe?

Definately leaning towards the GTA's at the moment. People don't seem to have much bad to say about them.

Thanks again,

Marc

PS - Having my 4.10's and a MGW SHifter installed Friday!
Apprentice

We all have our preferences as to what "Sounds Good" to us. Check with your local Mustang Club and see what others are using. It will also allow you to actually hear an exhaust system before you buy based on our opinions. Choose wisely since you will not have to replace it for a long time. These are a pricey addition to our cars, but worth it for the thrill of the sound! I had heard a Borla system on a '04 Cobra and that sold me. Once again, which ever one you choose, enjoy the ride!

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
I also have GTa's on my stang and after about 4,000 miles they really broke in and sound fantastic

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

GT Member

If you get Flowmasters get the system made for the S197. If you just put on say the mufflers the car will drone bad.
I have the FRPP/Borla Stingers and I dont hear any drone though others say they drone. But I have some hearing loss so who knows. I love the sound the them and the tips look real good. The exhaust was one of the hardest mods for me to choose. I like the ones I got because of the rumble and light popping they give off when you let off the gas. Sounds really mean.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page