Shocks Needed after Spring Installation? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to burnrubber4.0
Shocks Needed after Spring Installation?

Alright, well i decided to tackle the spring instal myself today and got the job done without a hitch. I took my car into town for a ride and its really rough riding. i knew with the 20" wheels would be a noticable diff but i never thought it would be enough to bother me. Although its not bouncing my head off the headboard, its still almost uncomfortable. Are shocks a needed upgrade anyways with my eibach springs or should i do shocks and struts. if i can avoid it i would like to just replace my shocks only to save hassle on the strut towers.Is this a good idea? I like the ford racing package but you have to get the struts too. there's also tokico billisten eibach and a few others. please get back with some suggestions soon because i need to get aligned asap. Im simply looking for a better ride without going back to my ugly 18"wheels. thanks

2006 4.0 V6 Mustang/X Charger #128
Mods: Too many, check out my profile.
Probably currently under modification...
My wheels are for sale! Look in the classifieds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
4.6L Member

Its going to be quite a noticeable difference from stock, they are alot stiffer springs. New shocks and struts may help, but not sure how much. I have the sportlines from eibach and they are really rough.

Dan

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
New dampeners will help some but it will never be as smooth as stock.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

well as long as its better than whats it rides now, stl do you have any suggestions to a good buy? also can i go shocks only? again i really would like to stay away from the stuts if i can, i cant seem to find just shocks tho haha thanks

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrubber4.0 View Post
well as long as its better than whats it rides now, stl do you have any suggestions to a good buy? also can i go shocks only? again i really would like to stay away from the stuts if i can, i cant seem to find just shocks tho haha thanks
I wouldn't do just the shocks. Better to swap them all as a package. I like the Tokico D-specs. Tokico also makes a non-adjustable verstion. Billsteins are also very good.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

ok, thanks stl. others suggestions are still welcome

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008
GT Member

I went with QA1 PromaStar adjustable coil-overs all around and have been very satisified with them. The springs up front are 14" 250 lbs.in. and the rears are 12", same spring rate. (I had had 12" 175/350 lbs/in. variable rate springs in back but they were just too "squirrely" for my taste.)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troon2004 View Post
I went with QA1 PromaStar adjustable coil-overs all around and have been very satisified with them. The springs up front are 14" 250 lbs.in. and the rears are 12", same spring rate. (I had had 12" 175/350 lbs/in. variable rate springs in back but they were just too "squirrely" for my taste.)
I'm guessing since he just did springs that coilovers might be a bit excessive.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I'm guessing since he just did springs that coilovers might be a bit excessive.
Good point - probably best to wait until he sees how he likes the "new" setup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Im thinkin the d specs look like a nice system, anyone have experience with tokico? other suggestions are still welcome too, and yes id like to stay away from coilovers expense haha

Apprentice

I had the FRPP Springs and sway bars installed a couple of years ago. I also upgraded to 18" FRPP Black Bullits with Kumho 255/45/18 tires. VERY firm ride! I kept the OEM struts/shocks and have finally decided to install the Eibach Pro struts/shocks (to be delivered today and installed this weekend hopefully). The FRPP Springs and sway bars are manufactured by Eibach for Ford (same as the Pro System). The OEM Struts/Shocks are not designed to work with a lowered suspension, thus a harsher ride. Several things to remember:

- If you change the sway bars to the FRPP or Eibach ones, set the bar to the middle setting on the end of the sway bar. There are three holes to adjust your amount of anti-sway. I have found the middle setting just right, but may change it after I install the Eibach Strut/shocks.

- Even going from 17" to 18" wheels will give a firmer ride. Going to 20" wheels and tires will give an even firmer ride. Remember you do not have as much sidewall to absorb road shock, etc....

- Every system is matched to a certain point, so you may want to stay with the same brand for all the parts. Yes you can combine (for example) Eibach springs, Tokico struts/shocks & Saleen sway bars. But you may not get the best ride, stance and control as a matched system. Trial and error does not always work. Review this in Magazines and on the various forums. There are a lot of "Lessons Learned" out here. I for one have had to take a step or two back from time to time.

- What you like and I like are two different things. I do not care for 20" wheels, but they do look good. An identical car (power, suspension, etc..) with 20" wheels/tires will be slightly slower than a car with 18" wheels/tires. Not myth, just Physics. Rolling Mass of the 20" wheels/tires is greater than 18" usually. Yes you can get lighter wheels, but they are for racing not the street generally. Greater chance for warping, bending, etc. on the street. The track is a much more controlled surface, so no ruts, pot holes, etc to warp the wheel. Some will argue, but I have proven this in real life against similar Mustangs to mine.

Whatever you decide to do, research it to death (unfortunate you have to do this), talk to different tuners, read the forums, read the Magazine articles, talk to local Mustang clubs, then bite the bullitt!

You may have to take a step backward from time to time unfortunately. Good luck.

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrubber4.0 View Post
ok, thanks stl. others suggestions are still welcome
I would go with the FORD BILLET lowering shocks 384.00 a set from Downs FORD shipped. There made for lowered Mustangs. I run 18X9.5 with Ebach proline and its smooth as butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page