Short throw shifter?? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

here ya go. I just got one and its truly a work of art. In a whole nother class that what else is out there.

Mustang Shift Handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgon08 View Post
OK thanks guys dose a ball come with the mgw and were can i get one at?

==================
2007 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Black cloth top, 5 speed, heated seats, IUP, PTP, Dark charcoal with chamois seats, 18" polished wheels, side air bags, Shaker 500, Wheel Locking Kit, Active Anti-Theft System, spoiler delete, Ford racing X pipe, SLP LM's, FRPP Bullitt cai, Tillmans dyno tune, MGW shifter.. born 10/18/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax and I love it.

One thing I don't understand is everyone's infatuation with the Hurst's shift knob appearance-wise. Sure, the outside of the car is retro, but the inside of the car feels much more modern and the ball grip seems to be out of place. Just my opinion though.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Ok i just checked out the mgw and i see the adjustments on it how hard is it to do that or is it just a turn of a screw? i think i am leaning tords the hurst thow

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgon08 View Post
Ok i just checked out the mgw and i see the adjustments on it how hard is it to do that or is it just a turn of a screw? i think i am leaning tords the hurst thow
You just take the Hurst out of the box and install it, no adjustment needed.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Not sure of others but the adjustment on the TriAx was so simple. Just turn a screw until it barely touches the shifter when in each gear and then back off part of a turn, then tighten the jam nut. How much simpler can that be? And you do it while sitting in the driver's seat, not under the car!

Victor
2007 Foose Stallion "The Prowler"
FRPP Polished Whipple SC - 8lb boost, FRPP Hot Rod Cams (M-6550-3V), FRPP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, FRPP Tuned Racing Suspension, MagnaFlow Magnapack Catback, Steeda TriAx, Nexus Series - AFM, Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure, Speed of Sound Dash Pod, Raptor Blue LED Shift Light. 425 RWHP 387 TQ
GT Member
S197 Member

I started with the Roush short throw... Had a rattle and Roush knew about it and did not care. Went to Hurst short throw with white ball....... better, still notchy, changed to a longer handle and the T handle... more better. Shifters are getting to be like sneakers wear them a while and then try something else.

07 GT. Exterior mods n/a. Engine mods, see profile.
One of the more powerful cars around.
One of the slower cars around.
Makes me feel like a kid every time.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to 07HurstGT
When the hurst short throws first came out for these cars, most of them had problems with vibration noises because of to much up and down play in the ball-in-socket of the shifter assembly. I had one like this and couldn't stand it. I contacted B&M (they had just recently bought Hurst) and I sent it back for a new one with only the cost of shipping. My new one is real tight and performs extremely well

Shane
2007 GT
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I have the Hurst. Looks and feels great. Before I bought it I had read about people having problems with the bolts attaching the handle to the shifter working their way loose. I thought no problem that some loctite couldn't solve. After about 3 months the bolts still worked their way loose. No big deal, I replaced the original bolts with hex bolts and matching nuts. I also made sure all the other bolts were still tight. All was well till last week. I started getting a vibration at higher rpms at full throttle. Ugh... Took it apart again last night. All the bolts seemed tight. I had been a little sloppy with the loctite and some had collected at the base of the stick. I cleaned this out and added some grease. I also backed out the stops to see if the noise was from the stick contacting them. I haven't driven the car today so I don't know if that did the trick. I'm starting to wish I has spent the extra 100 bucks on the MGW...

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
BOSS Member

Garage
I don't use the chrome stick . I ordered a stick from Hurst so I could use the stock Knob. It's never been loose.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member

The Hurst is the best look and value. Anything more is overkill in my opinion.

2006 GT 5-Spd, Performance White w/ PAINTED Blue Pearl stripes,
Roush hood scoop, Hurst Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, Steeda Cold Air, Predator 93 Tune, Ford Racing Ceramic Shorty Headers, MRT AeroTurbine Axle-backs, Prothane "Bullet" Engine Mounts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, GT500 Struts & Shocks, UMI Performance LCA Relo Brackets & LCA's, UMI Upper Control Arm, MRT Panhard Bar, Prothane Swaybar Bushings, MMcc5-1 Caster/Camber plates, FRPP 4.10's,
Black 18" FR500s w/ BFG KDW 255/45-18's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page