offroad H pipe question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

offroad H pipe question

I was wanting to get an off road H pipe to go with some borrla stingers. Is there any difference in the H pipes that are available out there besides the construction and material used. Stainless steel etc. Give me a run down of some of the top brands out there. Thanks everyone.
Also I wanted an OR H pipe because of the sound difference in it and an OR X.

What is it about the sound of a powerful motor screaming to life, jumping to the passing gear, and going. Or the feel of a car laying a parking lot signature that makes men smile and their hearts pound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008

You won't be sorry for going with the "H" pipe. I am very happy with mine, and I have the Borla's also. This is the place you want to get the pipe from. ---->H & X Pipes

You'll love the sound. It is better in person than on video clips from the internet.

When you get the pipe, it comes in 4 pieces (it use to be 2 pieces). What I did was bolt the first pipe to the manifold and slid the second pipe on the first as it was on the car to get an idea of where to mark the 2 pipes(one mark for depth of first pipe into second pipe and a second mark so the pipes would line up at "H" after mounting). I then took the pipes off and took them to an exhaust shop and had them weld the pipes together, but NOT at the "H" connection, I used a clamp at that point. This makes for easy installation and the weld makes for a good seal.

By the way, you may need an O2 extension wire, I did. When I ordered my wire, I was told one is not made for the 05 and up model. What I did was order the one for the previous model and shaved the ears off and it works fine. (The ears don't line up, but the wires matched and lined up)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Whats the difference between h and x i just bought a 2005 saleen n/a and am looking to do one or the other. I was told to go with x but is thier a power difference

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAZER2 View Post
Whats the difference between h and x i just bought a 2005 saleen n/a and am looking to do one or the other. I was told to go with x but is thier a power difference
x will probably give you more airflow and more hp gain over an h pipe... but if your a 60's muscle car sound guy.... than your gunna love the h pipe.... the x pipe gets "raspy" which some people dont like. Personally I love both sounds... but nothing can beat that old school muscle car sound.... im gunna run an offroad H pipe and pypes mid muffler setup when i get around to my exhaust.... that setup gives you that old school muscle car sound to the MAX!

considering you bought a saleen.... i assume you got a decent back account there bro... if you wanna really get downright with the sound.... look into a MAC offroad prochamber. congrats on the purchase btw.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008GT View Post
I was wanting to get an off road H pipe to go with some borrla stingers. Is there any difference in the H pipes that are available out there besides the construction and material used. Stainless steel etc. Give me a run down of some of the top brands out there. Thanks everyone.
Also I wanted an OR H pipe because of the sound difference in it and an OR X.
quite honestly I think there really is only one choice... Pypes! Or MAC if you go the prochamber route..... link here... http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...--x-pipes.html

The only other offroad H pipes for the s197 that i know of are kooks or jba.... but with those i think you have to to use kooks or jba headers and a whole bunch of other things.... check them out here...
Mustang Off-Road H-Pipes at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
An H does sound a lot better IMO. Don't think an X is worth the 1-2 extra hp.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
An H does sound a lot better IMO. Don't think an X is worth the 1-2 extra hp.
+1 for the off road H.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page