2005 Mustang GT Bolt on fever! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Bethelism
Don't waste your time with the throttle body and spacers and all that crap. Simplicity is where it's at!! CAI, tune, and gears!! I actually just installed a new gearset this past weekend (3.55 to 3.73), and improved so much that I'm actually going to hold off on the supercharger for a bit.

I actually liked the whole "mod spreadsheet" idea that the guy above had. I'm totally going to use that!

Proud Driver of Sheila - 2005 Satin Silver GT
Member of the Silver Mustang Registry SMR# 0518

Check out my profile for the latest mods.....
All the work here is done by a broad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks guys this really helped alot, I'm going to map out a spreadsheet setup for the future plans, and currently I think it'll go:

- Performance - Pulley and 3.73 gears ( in the next few days)
- Anti-sway Bar, lowering springs, shocks, Control Arms (a few months)
- Link,panhard ( ???)
- New tires, maybe wheels ( ???)
- Body work ( ???)
I'll probably work exhaust into there at some point, with headers, pipe and an axleback, that's a decent amount of money for not a whole lot of performance. (still need to look into different brands) Much rather have better handling than a better sound.

S197 Member

You won't see much gain from the pulleys, especially in relation to the cost. You might consider taking the money and put it into suspension modifications. There are real gains to be had there.

I'd save the money and put it towards your lowering mod in a few months, since that's a good time to replace your lower control arms.

If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, then you may want to consider substituting the under drive pulleys for a rear sway bar with endlinks. (Axle backs are a fun mod, too!)

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT speeder13 View Post
never had a problem with my pulleys and the FL heat, car still cools very nicely.

I saw a significant gain in the seat of the pants dyno, haha. The car pulls way harder through 1st and 2nd gear now!
My car ran a little warmer. Nothing that a drilled 160* t-stat and some purple ice couldn't handle.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

If I lowered the car, would I want adjustable control arms, or fixed length?
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i dont know much in terms of suspension but i do kno the UDPs arent really worth the money, same goes to the throttle body mods, but gears will help alot and o/r (catless) pipes, especially long tube headers will help.

I think gears and a catless exhaust system would be your best choice. Once you save up more money again go with long tube headers and you've got yourself a pretty amazing machine. A very very loud machine.... but still an amazing one at that lol, if you dont like the idea of going without cats you could atleast get electronic cut outs

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008 Thread Starter
Banned

The o/r x pipe with the L/T headers with Borla stingers would be what I'd love to do, but I'd rather get a better suspension after the gears.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashthe3rd View Post
If I lowered the car, would I want adjustable control arms, or fixed length?
If you lower the car you will need an adj. UCA to get the pinion angle adjusted. But you don't need adj. ones for the LCAs. You will also need an adj. panhard bar to center the rear.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashthe3rd View Post
The o/r x pipe with the L/T headers with Borla stingers would be what I'd love to do, but I'd rather get a better suspension after the gears.
Just remember how loud it will get lol

2006 V6 Pony Package Premium -Mods: 61mm Powerhouse Turbo and Intercooler, Evolution Dyno Tune(Jon Lund), Steeda Performance Shorty Headers.
Current Numbers:
350 rwhp/420 torque @ 8.3 psi (low boost)
415 rwhp/470 torque @12 psi Car died 6/23/09
New Set Up: 4.6 3v With Manual Trans, Bolt Ons
Apprentice

No easier bolt on than a pour in......synthetic fluids and water wetter is also a worthwhile investment. From what I have read over and over is that synthetic rear end fluid, trans fluid, and engine oil will freeup 8-10 horsepower and the waterwetter will help keep the combustion chamber a few degrees cooler.

Dougs 91 Race Tune with CAI/ Pypes Violators/ FRPP 3.73 Gears/Roush UDPs/ '70 Style Mach1 Treatment/Synthetic Fluids/Best run: 13.33 at 104 MPH on stock tires (87 degrees/moderate humidity) before UDPs, new 93 tune and more practice. Hoping for 12.9 now.
Other Hot Rod-- Matching Numbers Arctic White 1971 Buick GSX 455 with 62,000 original miles.
2004 Silverado DD.
S197 Member

If you do get long tube headers, then I'd get high flow cats. I doubt you'd lose little if any horsepower. My C3 Corvette didn't have cats (pre-73) and the exhaust smelled pretty foul. I always smelled a little like gas after driving that car...people noticed, too. So many mods are a trade off. Something to think about, anyway.
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i did an o/r xpipe first, then the CAI, and the flowmasters last. the CAI made the biggest improvement in how i perceive my car. i could actually hear the throttle over the exhaust, and is my favorite sound.

the flowmasters just annoy the neighbors

and the CAI, TB and the flowmaster all came from ebay. total investment is under 350 for all three. the only thing is my airaid filter was crushed. the car it was in was in a fender bender. it still does the job tho, and if i need to replace it is still under 50 more!
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmustang06 View Post
If you do get long tube headers, then I'd get high flow cats. I doubt you'd lose little if any horsepower. My C3 Corvette didn't have cats (pre-73) and the exhaust smelled pretty foul. I always smelled a little like gas after driving that car...people noticed, too. So many mods are a trade off. Something to think about, anyway.
It sonds like the vette is running a little rich.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
S197 Member

That car is long gone, so it's hard to say. It didn't seem like there was a problem. I was getting 18-20 mpg highway with the aftermarket fuel injection system and a new crate engine.

I do know that a catalytic converter helps to breakdown unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust into water and carbon dioxide. I can't see any engine being 100% efficient.

It's been my experience that cars without cats do have an exhaust smell to them. Maybe others have had a different experience, less sensitive noses, etc. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to put out more pollution and have a car with an exhaust odor just for such a small gain.

Anyway, we probably shouldn't turn this into a cats vs. no cats debate. I'm sure that horse has been beaten to death somewhere else on the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page