Can't make up my mind... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Can't make up my mind...

well ive had money in hand to s/c my v6 05 pony but been thinking thats alot of money so im guna give you all the low down Option A buy s/c now be happy Option B take that 4k and buy a classic 65 -70 mustang and restore her into a tribute to elenor but this option has its twist im military and am in hawaii i was planning on giving my dad the money to get it and have him put in in his garage and every month give him income for the car to be worked on and i go home every 6 months on leave so then i can play with her and im getting out in 3 yrs then id have a restored beauty now one other qustion can you put a stock v6 pony in a car show with just apperance mods because i have a lot of elenor stuff being put on and she looks one of a kind esp with the striping sorry so long just a crisis lol

Current
12 5.0 white A6 stormtrooper 18x9 18x10 amrs borla s types tru fiber 3in cowl , gt500 spoiler, mmd louvers now to performance and suspension
11 5.0 black on black 6mt comfort package , bama tune, airraid cai, elenor scoops, side scoops, gt500 wing, speeddawgs shift knob gb. Vortech blow - sold
2005 V6 grabber blue , elenor hood wing scoops , foose rims 18x9 18x10 , Bama tuned, dual exhaust. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

that would be a hard decision, both have Pros and Cons.
I don't see why you couldn't put the v6 in car shows if you wanted to, I'm not a show person but I think it's more about appearence than anything else.

302 stroker, Saleen supercharger/supershaker,3.0 pulley,Comp 127300 with phaser limiters,60 lb. injectors,GT500 fuel pumps, JBA LT, JBA O/R Hpipe,Borla stingers,3:73 gears.
556/487
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member

old school is the route to go in your situation imo.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member
5.0L Member

You can put any car in a "car show", it depends on who's hosting and how big is it. Ricers hold their own little shows with 105hp 4 bangers with weed wacker exhaust and spray can paint jobs. I say go with option C. Put a little money in your V6 and put the rest in a CD account for 2 years so that when you get out of the service, you'll have a sufficient chunk of money waiting. Then you can go buy a First generation Mustang and do the work yourself, instead of paying dad to do it.
Personally, I think it's a bit of a waste to supercharge a V6. With your basic mods (intake, exhaust, TB, headers etc.) you can have a great V6. If you want high performance then sell it and get a GT, which will give you an instant increase of 90hp for a base of 300 over the 210. I'm not knocking the V6 because I love em' and bought one for my fiance. I just think that if you're willing to pour a bunch of money into a car for performance, why not start with a better base performer to build on?

1984 Mustang 331 stroker
1990 Mustang 5.0L convertible
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member

what dakine858 said ^^^^ my reason for saying go old school.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Don't forget that with going s/c you're not just looking at parts and labor for the s/c. Once you get it installed you're going to need to install limited slip as well as a set of tires to put that power to the ground. LCA's would probably be on the list as well as a new driveshaft. Right there you're looking at an additional $1600-1800 P&L to make the car reasonably useful with all that power.

I agree with Dakine's 'option C.' Put an intake/tune in your v6 and maybe an underdrive pulley and put the rest away. You never know when you might need the 'cushion' for an emergency.

Black 2005 Mustang v6, 5 speed, IUP, EUP and Leather.

Razzi 1/4 window scoops, Mustang GT Sway Bars, Flowmaster American Thunder Single Exhaust, Clear Front Turn Signal Lenses, Demolet CAI, X-cal2 91 tune, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, FRPP T-Lock, Ford 3.73 gears
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05Pony View Post
Don't forget that with going s/c you're not just looking at parts and labor for the s/c. Once you get it installed you're going to need to install limited slip as well as a set of tires to put that power to the ground. LCA's would probably be on the list as well as a new driveshaft. Right there you're looking at an additional $1600-1800 P&L to make the car reasonably useful with all that power.

I agree with Dakine's 'option C.' Put an intake/tune in your v6 and maybe an underdrive pulley and put the rest away. You never know when you might need the 'cushion' for an emergency.
+1 It appears alot of people work up the v6 as a "sleeper" to compete with a GT or other faster base model cars. I am not saying that is, or was your goal. Its your car, and whatever floats your boat...But like others had pointed out, there will be additional supporting mods you will need to look into. Good luck!

05 Mustang GT Coupe (Modifications in profile)
91 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (Bone Stock)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Well thats a good one. old school vs. new high power. Well you only see the old school when you go home, vs. driving the new car every day.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008
PONY Member

Garage
I agree with Darkine and Black Pony on this one, however, I do not think an s/c on a V-6 is a waste of time, just unnecessary. The following mods are all that you will need to "wake up" the beast in your V-6 and will allow you to pull on a 94-04 stock GT (though a stock s197 V6 with a good driver can do this, as I have), and acquire admiration and respect from the S197 GT crowd. These are the items that are all a part of my future plans and projects for my very own Mustang V-6...

#1 Western MotorsportS (WMS) 2005 Mustang High Velocity Intake System

#2 Race Pages - 2005 Ford Mustang Exhaust System

(go with the Borla Part#: B25140176 with your budget its the best one)

and finally put it all together over here... 2005 Mustang V6 Tune from Alternative Auto Performance

I will be driving to the above location next summer. The package includes the Xcal tuner. They will also dyno your car for an additional charge. I have a friend who went here and he raves about this palce.

This is all you need, dude. Good luck.

Here's some additional info about the intake: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ir_intake.html

2005 Mustang Premium V6-Screaming Yellow
" Mr. Bee"
Pypes X-Pipe/True Dual Exhaust, Flowmaster AT Axlebacks, K&N FIPK CAI, J&M Extreme Rear LCA's, Cervinis Ram Air Hood (functional), Bamachips Custom Tune/XCAL3, Optima Yellow Top Battery, Shelby Racing Stripes,Black OEM GT Rear Spoiler; Staggered GT 500 wheels with Perelli Tires, Xenon custom painted side scoops, Rousch Front Fascia, Black/Yellow Roush Seat Covers (front/rear),Hawk Performance HP Plus Brake Pads, StopTech Slotted Rotors
S197 Member

If you have a car that runs, leave it alone and enjoy.

Do some research and search, you have the time, find a 64 1/2 original first year of the Mustang and buy a convertible with ALL the options, or the first year of a particular model with ALL the options. Put it in dry storage, you have the start of an investment.

Now, save money and as you get a little, buy and dry store an original part you will need to restore the baby in the garage. When you are out of the service, get some more education if you want / need, get a good job. Get married and have some kids.

Now when the wife is off shopping and the kids are able to take care of themselves somewhat, you have a toy to play with, paid for, all the parts you need and something to occupy your time and the $$$$ to take care of those little things you did not think of. You will end up with a fully restored original Mustang convertible. A great investment and you have some fun.
I know, you want to do it now, well wait and it will result in a great payoff.

Point is, if you are going to redo a car, get one unique in year or model with all the factory options installed you can on it. As you restore you will not want to wait until you get more money to do something. The anticipation will kill you as it is slowly coming together. Having the ready cash and being able to afford it is more fun, less stress. With the economy "hesitating" I would keep an eye out, look in Hemmings. You never know when someone just "has" to get rid of a car.
S197 Member

I say supercharge it! If you put a supercharger on it and do some suspension work then your car will be really well balanced with good cornering and good in the straight line. Remember that with the v6 the front to rear weight ratio is almost 50/50, so it should carve corners like a dream!

Also, vintage mustangs are always tempting because they look so awesome but don't forget that they take A LOT of time and effort to restore and they will be slower and less manuverable then a newer mustang. Either way good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page