LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMosesSC
Pypes Splice in X Pipe installed w pics 2007 Mustang GT

Sup All,

I have been wanting to get an X Pipe but did not want to get a new midpipe cause i want to go LT's eventually, also dint want to go O/R X cause i have Flowmasters and they would trumpet. I started a thread asking about anyone who has had any experiences with the Splice in X Pipes (Pypes/FRPP) but i did not get any responses, so here goes.

The Pypes splice in X pipe sounds great, although not louder than the stock H, the X sounds much more aggressive and compliments my Flowmasters very well. The sound is more "Throaty" than the H and kinda brings you a step closer to the 5.0 sound.The frequencies the X passes through are more pleasing to me and change in muffler resonation as a result brings a big smile. Although you DO loose some "Deepness" in tone, its not in a bad way, i found that the frequencies that were lost are the ones that tended to drone and Buzz. I stood behind the car for a for a bit while my friends was reving, It is plenty "DEEP", it sounds awesome behind the car, better then it does in the drivers seat. IMO, the X sounds better than the H.

Got the Pypes Splice in X Pipe from Brenspeed for $80ish delivered, the Box was big but not too heavy, the pipe ripped through the box but contents were not at all damaged. Inside the Box was the X Pipe, 2 clamps and some instructions. The X Pipe is Stainless steel and appears to have solid construction and clean welds.

Had the Car on a lift, and made life much easier, install was a breeze. It would be a real PITA on Jack stands, i would not recomend it.

Pypes states that you should cut the H pipe about 7" inches past the Cat, we ended up cutting 8" just in case but the end result is that the muffler tips stick out past the bumper an inch, although it does not look bad, i prefer the look of the tips flush with the bumper. Cut the H with an electric Saw, came off pretty easily, the Ford Clamps are reused to connect the Mid Pipe to the over Axle pipes, be sure to prop up the axle pipes after you cut as they will drop down low.

The front of the X pipe slips on to the 8" pipe after cat left over from the H with minimal coaxing, they are held together using the Pypes supplied clamps, THEY SUCKED, one of them broke during install so we had to use an old one lying around the shop. The rear part of the X is held to the axle pipe by the Ford Clamps. That was all that was required, the H was removed and the X pipe was on in under an hour.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-GT-Pypes-X-Pipe.jpg
Views:	5085
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	53125   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-GT-Tips-stick-out.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	53126  

2006 Saleen S281 SC #1247 || Screaming Yellow || Scenic Roof || Watts Link || 3.6 Pulley || Extreme CAI || 39# Inj || Autolite HT .030 || JDM tune || Steeda F&R Sway Bars w/ Billet Mounts, adj UCA & LCA's || Magnaflow catted X Pipe || MGW ||

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

Nice job, and nice writeup also.I too, like the sound of an x ( mine is offroad).

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosesSC View Post
... we ended up cutting 8" just in case but the end result is that the muffler tips stick out past the bumper an inch, although it does not look bad, i prefer the look of the tips flush with the bumper.
how is the clearance of the over the axle section of your exhaust? Since everything is pushed back an inch, I wonder what the clearances of that piece measure.

glad to hear you found your sound.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Good Point! Ya know, i really dint check the over Axle clearance but i have been on 3 drives since and everything feels and sounds Kosher in that dept. I did notice that the Clamp from the Flowmasters were rubbing the Spare tire well, so we adjusted it.

2006 Saleen S281 SC #1247 || Screaming Yellow || Scenic Roof || Watts Link || 3.6 Pulley || Extreme CAI || 39# Inj || Autolite HT .030 || JDM tune || Steeda F&R Sway Bars w/ Billet Mounts, adj UCA & LCA's || Magnaflow catted X Pipe || MGW ||

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
That's a nice looking pipe!

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
GT Member

cool write up! looks good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008
Rookie

Job well done! I have the pypes x-pipe,like it alot,just wish i could get rid of the trumpet at certain rpms!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Job well done! I have the pypes x-pipe,like it alot,just wish i could get rid of the trumpet at certain rpms!

Ive read resonators over the axle will do the trick, heard the set up on a youtube video, sounds good here.

YouTube - 06 mustang flowmaster o/r x pipe resonators

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page