I have a quick question on octane. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang2005
I have a quick question on octane.

I have a 05 GT. well anyways I was stationed in fort riley, KS were fuel octane was 91 as the highest. I just arrived in fort lewis ,Wa and the fuel is 92 octane here. My tune from an SCT tuner is set at a 91 octane. The settings on the SCT tuner are 87, 89, and 91 octanes. I know the 92 octane will not hurt while set to a 91 octane. Well my question is would it be worth my time and money to update with the 92 octane. Or does any one know if the 93 octane is anywhere in Washington State, since I do have a 93 octane tune I can load?????????????

05 GT
C&L Racer Intake. 87-91-93 octane programs from Brenspeed. Motion Plate Delete Plates(NOS ports). Throttle body spacer taken out 1 week after install. Ford Racing Shorty Headers, Custom High flow cats, Steeda UDP's. Steeda GT axel backs. Steeda Lower control arms, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. A surprise rebuild by brother (Master Mechanic) He calls it a stroker. Custom heads and cams with who the hell knows what else.Oh the NOS kit I dont have a bottle for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
You can safely run the 91 tune but you just won't see the added benefit of the 1 pt increase unless you change to a 92 tune.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2005 View Post
Well my question is would it be worth my time and money to update with the 92 octane.
imo, no. i'd wait until you do some other mods that require a new tune, then take of the octane issue at that time.....

2006 Mustang GT
Whipple HO
Hot Rod Cams
M-5230-S (KR's)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have about $2500 in mods now. I'd like to get the most out of it. There is a place close by (blood enterpises) that has a dyno. They haven't called me back. They dyno is a load-cell type. I havent got a price since they havent called back. If I do this I would ike them to load the tunes in my SCT tuner for 91,92, and the 93 octanes seeing that the different octanes are avaliable in different parts of the country. Another thing I've read octane booster have fouled plugs on these pony's, but would it be safe to add just a little so I can use the 93 octane that is in the tuner???

05 GT
C&L Racer Intake. 87-91-93 octane programs from Brenspeed. Motion Plate Delete Plates(NOS ports). Throttle body spacer taken out 1 week after install. Ford Racing Shorty Headers, Custom High flow cats, Steeda UDP's. Steeda GT axel backs. Steeda Lower control arms, Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. A surprise rebuild by brother (Master Mechanic) He calls it a stroker. Custom heads and cams with who the hell knows what else.Oh the NOS kit I dont have a bottle for.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I have about $2500 in mods now. I'd like to get the most out of it. There is a place close by (blood enterpises) that has a dyno. They haven't called me back. They dyno is a load-cell type. I havent got a price since they havent called back. If I do this I would ike them to load the tunes in my SCT tuner for 91,92, and the 93 octanes seeing that the different octanes are avaliable in different parts of the country. Another thing I've read octane booster have fouled plugs on these pony's, but would it be safe to add just a little so I can use the 93 octane that is in the tuner???
Don't use octane booster. You can use 1/2 can of Berryman's B-12 Chemtool per tank of gas.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

So Berrymans B-12 would permit my to use the 93 octane tune? And will the car run as though its 93 octane fuel?? Is there any down sides to this as well??

05 GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
So Berrymans B-12 would permit my to use the 93 octane tune? And will the car run as though its 93 octane fuel?? Is there any down sides to this as well??
I wouldn't use that as a permanent solution. If you want to do this long term you'd probably want to run Torco

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page