Hood shake at high speeds - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

mine popped open one day, but the latch held it on before anything serious happened...

My cdc chin spoiler has helped prolong the shaking, before the chin it used to start at 80mph, but now with it, its not noticable until 90mph+... I agree that it is scary when it looks like the hood is going to fly off...

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Joey...that's a bit strange, you would think that the chin spoiler would force even more air into the engine compartment and cause the shaking at a lower speed.

2006 Mustang GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Light Graphite Leather, Auto, Shaker 500, IUP

Current Stable:
2006 Mustang GT
2002 Nissan Maxima
2001 Corvette Coupe
2011 Honda Pilot
Old 10-10-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I noticed that cutting the big hole for the Shaker eliminated the hood movement for me. I think a lot of it is just underhood pressure.
Now that I think about it I had a 05 GT and I did have a hood shake issue.
Now my 06 has the shaker and I have not noticed any shake
So solve the problem and get a very cool mod

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets

Old 10-10-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
It really amazes me how these cars can vary so much. Some hoods shake like crazy while others are rock solid..

1965 Mustang Coupe
Old 10-10-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
It really amazes me how these cars can vary so much. Some hoods shake like crazy while others are rock solid..
I have no problem with mine.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
Old 10-10-2008
Apprentice
S197 Member

mine lifts somewhat and there are a few slight shakes.

nothing terrible. must just be tolerances in production.

2007 Black GT - JLTII, XCAL3, Flowmaster some tint, some audio. all for now
Old 10-11-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

My hood is pertty tight with the GT500 grill and I'm using the stock hood.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Old 10-12-2008 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Just looked under the hood and the hood stops are NOT adjustable?! Just a whole piece of rubber connected to the frame. Guess I'll be going the hood pin route.

What is it about the sound of a powerful motor screaming to life, jumping to the passing gear, and going. Or the feel of a car laying a parking lot signature that makes men smile and their hearts pound?
Old 10-12-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark25 View Post
It's all in the design...long, flexible aluminum hood with little to no venting of the high pressure air coming up through the engine compartment and attempting to exit via the cowling...since it can't vent (check out your black cowling below the windshield), the hood gives (shakes) to allow the rushing air to escape. I would have imagine if they had used fiberglass/plastic hoods as in previous models, there wouldn't have been any "flapping" at high speeds.
I've got an OEM Saleen SC hood on my car, so it's got functional heat extraction vents in it.

At highway speeds (70-80mph in Florida) it moves so much it's frightening.

The problem is a poor design and even worse quality.

Hood pins are the only real solution. (I've got them, I just need to install them.)

Old 11-01-2008
Apprentice

ok today was the first time i notice my hood shakes at 70+ speeds!!!! i have an aftermarket hood. I never noticed my stock hood shaking but i never really looked!!!
Could it be something with the install?
looks like hood pins are my next mod.....

06 Auto GT RedFire, 3dCarbon Boy Racer Kit (13 pcs), GT500 Spoiler, CS8 Shelby Hood, 20" Chrome Foose Nitrous, Steeda Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, C&L Street, Tillman Tune, Steeda UDP, Steeda CMDP, No Cats, Borla Mufflers, Tokico D-Specs, Rear Roush Springs, FRPP 4.10, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads

DynoJet:
287 RWHP
284 TQ
Old 11-01-2008
GT Member

ive done about 170 (km/h) in my car so far and no hood shake.... altho for you folks that dont like hood pins and have the problem but need a solution...

I have found a pricey but effective solution without the need of visible hood pins from a canadian vendor which I doubt most of you folks from down south will come across so im posting the link below explaining the product and one link with part for sale... pricey but if you dont like hood pins.... this is it! (unless there is something else similar out there... this is a first ive seen)

Western Motorsports (WMS) Stealth Hood Pins, 05-09 Mustang, Shelby GT500. Eliminate hood shake.

-32509 Western Motorsports Inc. Product Listing
Old 11-09-2008
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Bet that woke you up in a hurry!
I had the same problem with mine, I think it's just the big lip on our cars so it catches a lot of wind. On the way to Nurburgring, me and a bunch of buddies were bookin it on the autobahn, odometer only reads 140 and I had it pegged, never came up though. Talk about being scared and butt being puckered though. Buddies told me as long as it's latched she'll stay down. I hope that is true.

2008 Vapor Metallic Mustang GT
AR LT/Off road H-Pipe/Axle back Flowmasters/JLT CAI/X-3 Tuner/4:10's/BBK throttle body/MGW short throw/
Old 11-09-2008
V6 Member
S197 Member

How do you tighten-up the hood stops?Thanks
Old 11-09-2008

there is a simple way to fix the problem with the hood moving and lifting. Under the hood on the bay there is a rubber bumper on each side. Twist the stoppers up, this make the hood tighter when it is shut causing it not to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in