GT Muffler Vs Shelby Muffler on a V6 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

During the week that passed since the previous post, I removed the GTAs (GT500-like mufflers) from the FRPP V6 duals conversion and replaced them with GT takeoffs, one of which ran for a year as a single on the same car.

The GT takeoffs sound really good to me, very solid sound, seem to have eliminated the slight rasp I could hear in the GTAs. The GTs are slightly less obtrusive and not quite as noisy in all RPM ranges, but lend an excellent quality to the exhaust sound.

On the V6, I prefer the GTAs at idle, but the GTs for driving. This is on a convertible.

Not as interesting to V6-thread readers:

I removed the stock rolled-tip GT/CS mufflers and replaced them with the GTAs, on the V8 GT/CS. Ever-so-slightly louder, great idle sound, and much more appropriate to the GT than the V6. Since the GTAs were painted black while on the V6, the four-inch tips are kind of stealthy on the GT/CS with the black diffuser in back.

I had been considering the GTB (Bullitt) mufflers, as I wanted a little more "ear" than the stock GT/CS mufflers were giving, but was afraid, after experience with the GTAs on the V6 duals setup, that they would be too loud. Won't need to spend the $400.00 for the GTBs, I think. The GTAs are perfect, so far. On the coupe.

I've always wondered about the "rolled tip" on car exhausts. Doesn't it interfere with exhaust flow, send some discordant negative pressure pulses back up the path? My choices have always been for the slanted cut on the end of the pipe, and even a megaphone if possible (see the Datsun 2000 stock exhaust). The GT takeoffs are "baloney-sliced", which I approve, and the GTAs actually do have a mini-megaphone at the exit. Now I have one of each, and I'm happier than with rolled tips.

So, how much difference does it make in driver-perception of exhaust sound, convertible vs. coupe? Quite a bit; the coupe insulates you from a great deal of outside sound that is not filtered out by the convertible's construction, top up or down.

I'd really like to get a good portable stereo recorder, either movie or sound only, put one microphone on each ear, and record the differences between/among the various exhaust systems on each of the V8s and V6s, convertible and coupe. I don't have resources for that kind of project, but I bet one of the Mustang monthly magazines does, and would sell a million issues of the edition with the test reports.

Anyone have contacts in the magazine industry?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2972938253_979221fe82_o.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	54287  

ADDED: 2014 GT 5.0A conv. black: electronics, comfort, security, CA plate (FLICK U); assembled 06-13-2014, delivered 09-25-2014; odometer today (03-21-2016) 4,321.5(--> DELETED --> 2013 5.06M coupe, black:: Odo LAST day (09-25-2014) 7,975) (--> DELETED --> 2008 GT/CS: Odo LAST day (10-22-2012): 9,719.3; #2075 of 2509 convertibles, #560 of 718 in Ebony. 2009 GT/CS: Odo last day (09-08-2012): 12,000.1; #34 of 1705 coupes, #3 of 377 in Performance White. <-- DELETED <--)

Last edited by FYouGitive; 10-26-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: misspelings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page