2005 Mustang Secondary Air Injection System - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008 Thread Starter

2005 Mustang Secondary Air Injection System

Hi everyone,
I have a 2005 ford mustang GT (4.6L V8, 300hp) that has back fired on very few occasions upon de-acceleration or when letting off the accelerator, it has done this at both high and low speeds but just very occasionally. I had input that it may have something to do with the secondary air injection system, injection pump or check valve. OH, also there where absolutely no codes or issues found when I took it into the ford dealership so they sent me home without an answer. I can't find this secondary air injection device using a chiltons manual, and do I even have one and could this be the culprit. Thanks for all's advice, Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Does it sound like it's coming from under the car?

2007 Mustang GT Vista Blue
740RWHP/motor 904RWHP/spray
9.01 @ 152 mph 1/4 mile, 1.40 60'
2008 Clash of the Titans World Finals Champion
2009 Strictly Street Points leader/ET & MPH Record Holder

2009 GT500 Grabber Orange Vert 594 RWHP
11.5 @ 120mph it's my slow car!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008 Thread Starter

Yes it's coming right below the five speed shifter/center console area from underneath of the car

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Sounds like un-ignited gas in the cats. Did they check the plugs, cops? Does it seem to happen mostly when the car is cold?

No code seems kind of strange though.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I do not believe the S197 has a secondary air injection system.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008 Thread Starter

The ford dealership did every possible diagonostics check available, no codes in computer and this included checking spark plugs, they sent me home without a explanation and a $500.00 bill. A suggestion was made by a 23 tech veteran that it's possible it could be the secondary air injection system, check valve sticking or moisture has got internally on electrical connections, he said he has experience this a few times and to check it. I just can't find the secondary air injection pump and check valve he is talking about. He said it's inside of the drive side front fender, can't fine anything in the chilton's manual that talks about this either. Not sure what to look for without a picture or better explanation. Thanks, Gary
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008 Thread Starter

You may be correct, but it has a code for this in the chiltons manual with no other information but the code #P0491 Secondary Air Injection system, insufficient flow (Bank 1). If you could tell me for sure I would start looking else where. The reply from the tech read as follows, Your mustang has a secondary air injection system. The pump is electric and is located in the left front fender area. If you have a bad check valve (or anything causing a rich mixture), you will inject air at the wrong time, causing the back fire. We have had a couple of these in and found the system has water in it and the electrical connector was corroded. This is something you can check yourself by pulling off the rubber hoses and inspecting.

If there is no secondary air system please give me other possible causes, thanks Gary
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The evap system is on the drivers side of the engine compartment mounted on the strut tower. I wonder if he's talking about that?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008 Thread Starter

I found the evap system and I could check into that if that is a possibility. Also the car has been well warmed up when this back fire occurrs. It's happened 3-times twice in town coming to a stop at low speeds and once on the highway slowing down coming up on traffic, this back fire was loud. I'll check into the evap system and read, any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated, thanks Gary
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Pull the plugs and see if they're wet with gas. Also have you noticed a change in your exhaust tone recently? That could signify an exhaust leak and would definitely cause a backfire if it's up stream of the cats. What would happen is unburned fuel enters the exhaust system and when you let off the gas, your exhaust backpressure turns into a vacuum, sucking air in. Once you have unburned fuel and oxygen in the exhaust, it flows into the cats which are pretty dog gone hot. It's optimial for a backfire at that point.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak03 View Post
Pull the plugs and see if they're wet with gas. Also have you noticed a change in your exhaust tone recently? That could signify an exhaust leak and would definitely cause a backfire if it's up stream of the cats. What would happen is unburned fuel enters the exhaust system and when you let off the gas, your exhaust backpressure turns into a vacuum, sucking air in. Once you have unburned fuel and oxygen in the exhaust, it flows into the cats which are pretty dog gone hot. It's optimial for a backfire at that point.
Agree... The plugs will tell a great deal. If it is dumping gas have those cats may be toast..

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I will look over my exhaust system well and the cats to see if damage is apparent and pull plugs for evidence of unburned fuel. thanks again for the input, Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page