Everyday driving your mustang - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Ford View Post
Some people still ignore how monumental the street scene in the '60s was to the popularity and survival of the muscle car genre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudisStang View Post
It's just getting so populated here in Jersey with so many cars on the road these days that it's not a safe thing to do. Times have changed.
Raced on the street many times back in the early '70s. Races were arranged in the parking lots of fast food drive-ins (most notably Skip's La Fiesta on North Avenue). Some would risk racing each other right there along North Avenue. But the better way was to drive down to a divided highway with guardrails preventing side access for long stretches. We'd drive one way looking for police cars and (if there weren't any police present) we'd turn around and slow down to a slow roll and race going the other way.

But Judi is right about times having changed. Suburbs now extend so far out that many people have commutes well over an hour each way just to get to work and back home. Those same roads we used for racing now have traffic on them all hours of the night. It isn't as safe to race on the street now. And the legal penalties are far worse than they were in the old days.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I certainly like to drive fast, sometimes aggressively, but I don't race other cars. If I have some open highway in front of me and not much traffic, I take it up in the 90s fairly regularly, and did get it up to 105 briefly once. I have a radar detector, but if you're going that fast it isn't going to help that much so I don't make a habit of it. Although I enjoy high speeds I don't have a death wish. If you were to hit some debris on the road going 120, you're toast. Not worth it.

However, driving fast by yourself is not racing. It's just driving fast!

Current ride: 2014 Deep Impact Blue V6 Premium Convertible with Pony Package.

Former ride:2005 Torch Red V6 Convertible, premium interior with dark charcoal leather. PIE aux input adaptor/XM SkiFi3, GT muffler, K&N drop in air filter, GT front and rear sway bars. CAI and tune in the near future!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudisStang View Post
It's just getting so populated here in Jersey... with so many cars on the road these days... it's not a safe thing to do - and the many newspaper articles of innocent people killed while two stooges decide to race on the streets - deters me completely... IMO ~ Times have changed...

Agree completely... it's not like I don't 'get on it' once in awhile..but no racing for me around here. It is pretty funny to see a kid pull up next to me and try to get me to race....I look at them like, "do you race your mother?" - Not worth the gas or the possible trouble it can cause.
Back in the day....yes, I did race. But that was another time , another place and another car.......................

:hihi: 2007 VISTA BLUE GT! Only Mod so far is the 14" shorty antenna and a billet plug with GT on it for the dash power plug.. No Engine Mods 'cause I like the car fine the way it is and making it faster is only gonna get me in trouble.
:hihi: :hihi: :shiny:

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

When I used the term Holier than thou. I wasn't talking about anyone on this site, But my jerk off neighbor is who I was talking about. I agree with most people in that if you do get caught racing you get whats coming to you. If you can't do the time don't do the crime. I to have always been an offensive driver and drive quickly. I've street raced a few times from a rolling start. Never at speeds over 80, almost times you beat them by 2nd gear so I let off.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I forgot is drifting considered racing or careless driving. Drifting is so much fun.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Lost too many friends to street racing. It's always tempting but whoever wants to race has to meet me at the track, pay the $20 for as many runs as you want, and get it out of your system.

13 Shelby GT500 - SVT Perf Pak - SVT Trak Pak - Electronics Pkg w/NAV - Leather Recaros - JL Audio Stereo Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page