Cant decide bout headers... - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008 Thread Starter

Cant decide bout headers...

Im wondering if putting on a set of Steeda Performance Shorty headers will be worth the investment-any thoughts?
What I'v modified already is on my signature so any recomendations on this????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

Shorties do nothing for performance gains, go with LT's.

13 Shelby GT500 - SVT Perf Pak - SVT Trak Pak - Electronics Pkg w/NAV - Leather Recaros - JL Audio Stereo Upgrade
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008 Thread Starter

yeah my brother was saying the same thing...if i go with long tube gotta lose the off road h pipe i got now and that i guess where price is a factor. i was thinking of along the lines of keeping the engine cooler w/ stainless steel headers and of course the looks versus the rusted cast iron ones??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My .02
I will be going with shorties because I plan on going turbo. It all depends on your ultimate goal. If you want to remain N/A or go supercharger go with longtubes. If you want a turbo get the shorties, as long as the turbo kit doesn't replace the stock manifolds.

07 Alloy GT: Mods on profile
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Well said, make them go with your long term goals. But there is nothing like the roar of LT's

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Long tubes is the way to go. I think Chris at Tillmans is still having a sale on them.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
Apprentice

I think LT are a waste of money if your not supercharged!! Unless you want to stay n/a and you have every other bolt-on then by all means go ahead with LTs

06 Auto GT RedFire, 3dCarbon Boy Racer Kit (13 pcs), GT500 Spoiler, CS8 Shelby Hood, 20" Chrome Foose Nitrous, Steeda Carbon Fiber Dash Kit, C&L Street, Tillman Tune, Steeda UDP, Steeda CMDP, No Cats, Borla Mufflers, Tokico D-Specs, Rear Roush Springs, FRPP 4.10, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads

DynoJet:
287 RWHP
284 TQ
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 RF Mustang View Post
I think LT are a waste of money if your not supercharged!! Unless you want to stay n/a and you have every other bolt-on then by all means go ahead with LTs
That's a good point. You could bank the money and put it towards a supercharger or go with nitrous oxide for the same money. A 75 shot would probably be about 70 rwhp and 100 lbs-ft instead of the 20 hp or so from headers.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrumbelow View Post
Im wondering if putting on a set of Steeda Performance Shorty headers will be worth the investment-any thoughts?
What I'v modified already is on my signature so any recomendations on this????
Absolutely. For a little over $300 you'll gain about 5 hp peak but you'll also gain around 15 ft. lbs. of low end torque over the stock exhaust manifold. (Might help you make back some of the low-end torque you lost with the plate deletes) You're also emissions legal. Long tubes will give you more hp and torque but you'll have to replace your car's mid-pipe as well. For a name brand they'll end up costing you about 4 times the price. And although you're car could pass the inspection sniffer test they could technically still fail you. (That depends on how strict you State's inspection is)

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
And they look a lot better than those OEM rust logs!

1965 Mustang Coupe

i have obx long tubes....bout the same price as shorties and make a nice hp gain. and they come with 2 h pipes 1 with resonators and 1 straight..you can get them off ebay for under $500.
S197 Member

Yeah, but you deleted your cats, right? Not everyone thinks that's a good idea, legally or environmentally. A catted x pipe alone is $300 or $400 alone. Shorty headers bolt to the stock headers and I've seen them as cheap as $280 depending on the material used.

I almost forgot...here's a dyno that Anderson Ford Motorsports did with the JBA shorty headers.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...ck-headers.jpg

ok so get the pypes cats for $175 for pair and u are still far cheaper than most brands of headers and you have cats.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I think you can get the Pypes cats even cheaper at RPMOutlet.

1965 Mustang Coupe

cool...i found that price at 50resto.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page