Can you cover your aftermarket work in an insurance policy? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Can you cover your aftermarket work in an insurance policy?

If you do stuff to your car like body kit, exhausts, and engine add-ons can you get your insurance company to add that value to your car if it gets totaled? Can you get some kind of additional coverage to compensate you for the additional loss?

2012 Black Mustang GT-6SPD Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
i can. i have nationwide
if your gonna swich pm me and ill give u this guy. my mom is 46
had this guy since she was 16.

when i got hit and ran
he would call me from his house on sunday to see how stuff is going, see if i found anything new.

when i bought my stang, had to have insureance before i drove it off the lot. he hooked me up after hours with full coverage! im 19. they wanted 330 a month! he got me down to 110 with no shortage! i got full coverage, $2000 customisation. theft fire water, the whole deal. this isint safe auto, and this man cares about his clients!

but to answer your ? my insureance offers as much coverage as i want. just call yours and find out!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RedMosesSC
Geico asks if you have any modifictions, i presume thats to see if you want it covered. I think they are refering to serious mods though, you can't get your Flowmasters and Louvers covered, haha. Its more for S/C or Turbo or heavy customization. The only prob is, if you tell em about all the kool stuff then they charge you accordingly. Makes sense if you have serious mods or a show car but otherwise not worth it.

2006 Saleen S281 SC #1247 || Screaming Yellow || Scenic Roof || Watts Link || 3.6 Pulley || Extreme CAI || 39# Inj || Autolite HT .030 || JDM tune || Steeda F&R Sway Bars w/ Billet Mounts, adj UCA & LCA's || Magnaflow catted X Pipe || MGW ||

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

yeah, I have Geico covering my long tubes and cold air intake with my car insurance.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
PONY Member

I would think that if its on the car its covered. So policies may be different though. I have farm bureau never had a problem, stolen after market stereo get them a price and they cut me a check. I can't see where a body kit would be any different.

2007 Vista Blue GT, tu-tone Tuxedo Black. Turbonetics turbo kit ,tru-fiber ramair hood, upr adjustable upper, tubular lowers,Pypes muffler delete, wms stealth hood-pins, roush rear-window louvers, JLT Carbon Fiber radiator cover. 18" staggered Stealth Black Godspeed Omegas, MGW short throw shifter, Oracle blue halo's

1987 Buick GN 46k
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
V6 Member
S197 Member

I just finished a claim for a guy that hit a curb with his body kit. If it's on the car; it's covered.

It gets tricky if you total the car and you have $10k worth of mods and your car books for $10k. You get reimbursed for the market value of the vehicle and a percentage of the mods if you have receipts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
yea you can get what ever covered man, as long as i have recipts and a picture. my mods are covered 100% if i up my customisation coverage. my plan comes with $1500 right off the bat i upped it to 2K
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to nicky chaos
Does anyone know if Allstate offers this?

2008 GT Coupe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008
MACH I Member

Every insurance company does it differently, but at the end of the day, if it's on the car, it's covered. One way or another. I was told to have pictures of all of the modifications and receipts wouldn't hurt either. It's best to just make sure you have plenty of coverage.

2005 Sonic Blue GT
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Some do, some don't. I know Allstate doesn't.

I checked with some classic car places but they wouldn't insure me dollar to dollar on the mods. It was more like $.50 on the dollar.

One classic car place told me that they were only insuring GT500's for $35,000 even though people were paying $63,000 plus mods.

I'm on the multiple anti theft program, you would need to pick my car up to steal it. And if I wreck it bad enough to total it it's going to my house first to strip off all the mods.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
4.6L Member
S197 Member

mywife hit a curb and famers is covering all 4 rims and tire that i bought from a/m
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05horse View Post
yea you can get what ever covered man, as long as i have recipts and a picture. my mods are covered 100% if i up my customisation coverage. my plan comes with $1500 right off the bat i upped it to 2K
i think i am a little over the 2k margin mines at 10k but that wont even put a dent into my bill. I am working on getting my car appraised for around 70-80k once where done.

PROCHARGER P1SC<WHIPPLE 3.4L
5.0 Stroker Built and Blown
"DEVISTATOR"
Check out my build thread in 2005+ Talk
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached_out View Post
i think i am a little over the 2k margin mines at 10k but that wont even put a dent into my bill. I am working on getting my car appraised for around 70-80k once where done.
If you find somewhere please let me know. I am in the same boat.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Yeah I have Nationwide too and it's not a problem. Save your receipts. Hopefully you'll never have to file a claim.

BTW...take pics of your car with the mods installed. Pics should include a clear view of your license plate where possible. That way they can see the mods are on YOUR car. Granted you could switch plates with someone. But still, between the pics and receipts you shouldn't have an issue.

06 GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Auto, IUP
Mods: Midwest Auto Gear Engine Plenum Cover, Sequential Taillights, Demolet Tunable CAI & SCT Tune, CDC Quarter Window Louvers, Billett Aluminum Interior Items, 8" Shorty Antenna, Powder Coated Valve Covers, Braided Hoses, Flowmaster AT, California Dreamin' Hood, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Honeycomb Rear Decklid Blackout Panel, 35% Window Tints, SHR Lower Grill Inserts
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to samustang
My Allstate gent told me to just bring him copies of the receipts and it would be covered.

2006 MUSTANG GT Vista Blue. FRPP Springs. Cobra R Wheels. C&L Racer. XCAL 2 with Bama tunes. Shaker Hood Scoop. 73 Mustang Rear Spoiler. CDC Front Spoiler. Center Fog Lights Grill. Grey strips. Stainless Works long tube headers with there three inch exhaust. Custom grey leather inserts. Prothane motor mounts. Steeda Tri-AX shifter. 4.10 gears. quarter window louvers. Steeda upper. BMR adjustable panhard and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page