Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

V6 X pipe and flowmaster

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Daddy's Stang> 
#1 ·
Well I was going to get my exhaust redone again to try to get that perfect sound. Now I like the single flowmaster I have on there now, especially at idle, but when it gets up to those higher rpms, it starts to have a bit of a drone and Im not a fan of the sound. Well I trust my muffler man, he drives a gt himself, and he recommended that he run an 2.5 inch pipe with a x pipe from the cats back. He also wants to replace the flowmasterI have on there now (super 40 series american thunder) with a smaller two chamber flowmaster 40 series. Now that what lost me, I was willing to change the exhaust but Im not sure the difference between the exhaust I have now and the one hes talking about. Also what are yall opinion on the x pipe and will this sound be what Im looking for.

#4 ·
dont do an X-pipe. i had Gt takeoffs and an X-pipe and was having backpressure problems on my old car. I have an H-pipe and dual magnaflows now and it sounds great, highly recommend it. no drone, not too loud but it gets your attention

#5 ·
Well Im just plain confused now. I went back to the shop where I got the offer and discussed it more with him. He still maintains that the flowmasters are my best bet, and the cheapest from him. He doesn't like the magnaflows and doesn't think I would either. For a little less money I can just get him to run a pipe up and create a true dual with flowmasters which Im considering. Ive tried this before but something went wrong in the install and I just went back to the single axleback, I also found a new muffler man. I went to another guy too and he recommended doing the flowmasters and x pipe too. He just did a 4.0 the other day, and he says they seem tol like it and it turned out well. Has anyone actually had flowmasters and x pipe or any other advise. Im lost at this point.

#6 ·
Flowmasters are Horrible on the mustang. One of the worst sounding mufflers out there.

I bet he is either a Flowmaster "fanboi" or he knows his profit margins are much greater with the Flowmaster because he probably does a lot of volume with them.

My opinion as a professional in this area is that the Delta flow pattern of the flowmaster does nothing but cause droning and ridiculous sounds during deceleration. A Magnaflow would be better if you wanted to stick with the recognizable names, though it would be very quiet during cruise, and have a nice grunt (as good as it gets with V6). Other than that midmufflers sound good too, they are essentially fart cans you cant see, but they usually trap a good amount of sound. Horrible sounding with X-pipe because of turbulence.

H-pipe sounds best with mid mufflers IMO, and X-pipe sounds best with rear mufflers.

#9 ·
go to youtube and check videos what you're saying that you want is great and thats' what i'm looking right now flows and x pipe:bigthumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.