Carbon Fiber Blackout Panel - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Carbon Fiber Blackout Panel

I am looking for a carbon fiber blackout panel. I know you can get one at RK Sport, but I was wondering if any of you know of other suppliers. I've also seen a few posts online about magnetic carbon fiber blackouts, but no one says where they got them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2005 Mustang V6 -- Screaming Yellow -- Black Leather ...
Mods:
Superchips tune, K&N Air Filter, GT muffler
Royal Purple Oil - Trust Me, 20in. DLP Ninja wheels, Side Louvers, Gloss Black Straight Bar Grills, Grip Tuning Rear Spoiler Installed Soon, Custom Interior Paint In Progress Now, Armor All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I haven't seen any others.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Mustang Depot offers the RK CF blackout for less than RK does, but still looking to find a magnetic version. I know they make them, but it seems to be a custom order thing.

Mods:
Royal Purple Oil - Trust Me, 20in. DLP Ninja wheels, Side Louvers, Gloss Black Straight Bar Grills, Grip Tuning Rear Spoiler Installed Soon, Custom Interior Paint In Progress Now, Armor All

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

i heard the magnetic panels are trash..and dont fit
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan392 View Post
+1. go ahead with the rk sport version. most magnetic panels are rolled up like carpet rolls when shipped. the faux gas cap holes are often misaligned or the wrong size, and the corners never want to stick in place for more than a few minutes. my friend has one on his 06 v6, and with all the 3m tape needed to make it work, he would have been better off buying a better quality one that used 3m tape to begin with.

it would be cool to see a magnetic blackout panel that was like all the others..hard plastic or fiberglass, but used heavy duty magnets on mounting brackets instead of 3m tape...i guess i have to keep dreaming for now.

currently without pony
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan392 View Post
They fit perfect, but as another said on the forum they are trash.. i had one, it came rolled up.. allowed it to flatten out.. Still had a lil roll to it, and then somehow dirt got underneath and created these little bumps, it almost looked like a million little pimples on the blackout magnet.. I had to take it off and i was never able to fix it. Get the hard plastic, this magnet sucks.

Looked good when it wasn't all messed up though.

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

so has anyone picked this up? im thinking about it as my stripes look like crap in the rear, and I really like the blackout panels.

2006 Mustang GT- Tungsten with Black vinyl stripes
JLT CAI - SCT Xcal3 - Steeda UDP - Borla Axle Back exhaust
Next: interior dress up, short shifter

on hold indefinitely: (a ccidents FTL)
Forged internals, kenne Bell Supercharger
Remove Vinyl and put some paint on it
Suspension, 18x9 and 18x10 magnum 500 wheels
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice

No such luck with finding it yet. I even wrote the guy on another forum who had them made, but no response. I get both sides of the magnetic arguments a lot, but I am only interested in the carbon fiber. I wouldn't buy a magnetic blackout.

Mods:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

i just want something that lets me keep my gas cap, and is matte black. too many to pick from!!! I wanted to order it this week, so I guess I will just be looking for pictures of which look best, and which ones the people like most.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper108 View Post
i just want something that lets me keep my gas cap, and is matte black. too many to pick from!!! I wanted to order it this week, so I guess I will just be looking for pictures of which look best, and which ones the people like most.
Did you ever think about having it painted matte black.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper108 View Post
I just ordered the 3d carbon blackout panel with the gas cap cutout and it is at the shop getting painted matte black along with my factory hood scoop. I will post pics when I get it back and install it. Here is a pic that I found of one installed on another car.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/wp-con...stang-rear.jpg
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
Did you ever think about having it painted matte black.
yeah, but I cant find a the time or reasonable cost. I may just bite the bullet and let the rear look like crap until i can get my entire car painted the way I want

Apprentice
S197 Member

I had a gift certificate for american muscle and decided to give the magnetic blackout a shot. Mine fit perfectly around the gas cap, had to push it in a bit, it's a very snug fit. There are tiny gaps on the sides by the tailights, but both are even so I think it looks fine.

As far as it being rolled up. I laid it flat with some heavy books on top if for about 3 days. that helped but not enough. So I got out the iron,put a cloth on top of it and ironed it for about 20 minutes. Not only did it flatten out, but it really loosened it up and made it easier to get on around the gas cap.

I think it looks pretty good.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to sum_weirdo Send a message via MSN to sum_weirdo
Bit of an old thread perhaps but I thought it important to add my experience with those magnetic blackout panels. Mine too came rolled up in a mess. I massaged it for a few days trying to get the creases out, when I finally tried to fit it to my car it tore. And I wasn't being rough with it. Sure wish I had my money back..

2006 4.0 Mustang
Pony Package
Accel Super Coil with MSD Wires
Flowmaster A/T Axleback
Autometer Gauges
Pioneer Head Unit
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_weirdo View Post
Bit of an old thread perhaps but I thought it important to add my experience with those magnetic blackout panels. Mine too came rolled up in a mess. I massaged it for a few days trying to get the creases out, when I finally tried to fit it to my car it tore. And I wasn't being rough with it. Sure wish I had my money back..
I saw this thread tonight and, as luck would have it, I installed my magnetic blackout panel today. At first, I thought this thing was a POS. I had had it rolled out flat for 2-3 months prior and the ends were still curled up pretty tight. I took it outside and let it absorb some heat while laying on the car. That helped some but I ended up having to go and get the hair dryer. I heated the panel on each end for about 15 minutes....got it really hot and it worked into place. Got on the highway later and drove uh...."fast" and it stayed in place. I just had to be REALLY patient and an install that should have taken 5 minutes took nearly one hour. I attached a couple of pics.....they aren't closeups though but the panel is still layed down nice.....just checked it before sending this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QWindow & Blkout.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	63922   Click image for larger version

Name:	QWindow & Blkout3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	63924  

2008 Vapor Metallic GT Premium - 5 Spd, IUP, GTAP, Pypes Violators, 17" Aftermarket Wheels (Black/Polished), 8" Shorty Antenna, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Tinted Windows, GT500 Pedals, Pony Tri-bar Mats, CHE LCAs, Mag B-out Panel, GT Pony Dead Pedal, Smoked LED 3rd Brake Lt., Blkd-out turn sigs w/Stealth Bulbs, Projector HLs, Xenon 1/4 Window Lvrs, Splash Guards , Sequentials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2005 , blackout , carbon fiber , s197

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page