The Seafoam worked! - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_012 View Post
Hmm I don't know that I would be comfortable doing this. Since I've only had Full Synthetic Oil since 500 miles, I don't think I need this step.
??? Not sure I'm seeing the connection between synthetic oil and a dirty intake.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I think I may have mis posted now that I think about it. I guess I really don't understand the process of putting it in the intake if I can't just pour it in. It's probably one of those things that if somebody showed me in person I would be like OHHHH. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out.

2008 Dark Candy Red V6 Coupe 220hp/232torq SOLD
2006 F250 XLT 6.0L Turbo Diesel Innovative Xtreme Street Tune
1967 Coupe w/ 289 Auto
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by avery_012 View Post
I think I may have mis posted now that I think about it. I guess I really don't understand the process of putting it in the intake if I can't just pour it in. It's probably one of those things that if somebody showed me in person I would be like OHHHH. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out.
It's the small tube that goes into the intake manifold. Go start your car and pull it off. You'll feel alot of vacuum...it will slurp that stuff right up out of the can easily.

If they play, I spray.

Apprentice
V6 Member

Dun be scured

YouTube - How-To Seafoam

lots of vids on utube if you just want to seek

YouTube - how to seafoam mustang

GL
HTH

©ar0wan 1977-NOW()
GT Member

I have not put Seafoam into my Stang yet but I did put it into a 99 Mirage. I sucked it into the intake from the PCV tube and it immediately stopped the ticking sound that has been going on for the last 2 years. I also added it to the gas. I will try the crankcase method before my next oil change. I am gonna do the Mustang soon. The Mirage was my test mule. I tried 3 different additives to get rid of the ticking sound and only the Seafoam worked. Alot of smoked poured out the exhaust. I mean a neighbor came out to make sure I was OK. Im hoping that the Oil catch can I just installed on the Stang will help me not need to suck it into the intake.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
well i think this is something that i will wait until i crack at least 20k miles before i do it. But it doesn't seem that hard to do. I'll just do it with like 1/4 a tank of gas left and drive until till its all gone. Then change my oil.

so 1/3 goes into the gastank
1/3 into the oil filler neck
1/3 goes into the intake manifold via the PVC valve (where i hook my oil separator up to right?)

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
??? Not sure I'm seeing the connection between synthetic oil and a dirty intake.
Synthetic oil ====> very bad.

Mustangs
Like LEGOs for big kids
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
Putting it only in the gas tank would probably only lube up/clean your injectors.
Pouring it in the gas tank also cleans out any carbon that has built up on the spark plugs, valves, piston crowns, head surfaces inside the combustion chamber, and the EGR valve(For those cars that have one. The S197 GT does not).
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Pouring it in the gas tank also cleans out any carbon that has built up on the spark plugs, valves, piston crowns, head surfaces inside the combustion chamber, and the EGR valve(For those cars that have one. The S197 GT does not).

Maybe a little, but putting it directly in the intake will help out more. S197 does have an EGR valve. It's located on the inside of driver's side fender under the hood. The little black plastic piece.

If they play, I spray.
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Maybe a little, but putting it directly in the intake will help out more.
S197 does have an EGR valve. It's located on the inside of driver's side fender under the hood. The little black plastic piece.
I never said that injecting it into the intake may not help more than pouring it into the gas tank.
I only said that pouring it into the gas tank does more than only lubricating and cleaning the fuel injectors.
FWIW, 1 can of it eliminated a pinging problem on my 05 GT.

According to the following spec, which was taken from a Ford pdf file, the S197 GT does not have an EGR valve(at least on the 05 model):
Vehicle Line: Mustang Coupe
Model Year: 2005
Issued: 10/25/04
Engine Description: 4.6L

VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL
Exhaust Emission Control: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Type(controlled flow, open orifice, other): N/A
Exhaust Source: N/A
Point of exhaust injection(spacer, carburetor, manifold, other): N/A
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
I never said that injecting it into the intake may not help more than pouring it into the gas tank.
I only said that pouring it into the gas tank does more than only lubricating and cleaning the fuel injectors.
FWIW, 1 can of it eliminated a pinging problem on my 05 GT.

According to the following spec, which was taken from a Ford pdf file, the S197 GT does not have an EGR valve(at least on the 05 model):
Vehicle Line: Mustang Coupe
Model Year: 2005
Issued: 10/25/04
Engine Description: 4.6L

VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL
Exhaust Emission Control: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Type(controlled flow, open orifice, other): N/A
Exhaust Source: N/A
Point of exhaust injection(spacer, carburetor, manifold, other): N/A

Don't know about 05 since I have an 07. I know it's there on 07's because I got an EGR valve code at one point so the pcm knows about it and it has a sensor. I've even replaced it. Best way to check would be to look under the hood. Mine is there.

If they play, I spray.
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Don't know about 05 since I have an 07. I know it's there on 07's because I got an EGR valve code at one point so the pcm knows about it and it has a sensor. I've even replaced it. Best way to check would be to look under the hood. Mine is there.
I'll check as soon as the rain stops(I'm too poor and unskilled to build a garage, or even a car port).
GT Member

im at 18,000 km on my car right now... so about 11,000 miles.... any need to do the whole seafoam action on my car? its an 06 Mustang GT.
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

TheKurgan,

We're both correct.
Depending on the S197 GT's calibration code, it may or may not be equipped with an EGR system.
Here's the breakdown for 2005 S197 GT's:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=4
Mine has a CDC2 CALIB, so it doesn't have an EGR system.
I don't know if the same pattern applies to 06 and later S197 GT's.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston951 View Post
Synthetic oil ====> very bad.
Synthetic oil ====> very GOOD.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page