Muffler Fell off on the Highway! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Muffler Fell off on the Highway!

I'm driving to my girlfriend's house at around ten o'clock last night. I usually take the highway there and its about a 5-10 minute ride. I merge on the highway and theres no one around so i just do a quick acceleration from like 25 til 70 then slow back down to 65 and stay in the middle lane. About 5 seconds after got back to 65 i hear something that sounded like metal on metal coming from the rear of my car. Then it gets louder and i realized i'm dragging something but i didn't know what until i accelerated to move to the right lane and eventually the shoulder. My exhaust sounded ridiculously loud and i realized why....

When i pulled over i grabbed a flashlight from my glove which i realized i never bought batteries for.... then i got the spare from my trunk and tried to see what happened. The muffler was still attached to my car, but only by the rubber hanger. My rear bumper is badly scratched and the muffler looks like *ST* It looks like the clamp snapped but i don't have any idea why. I had a local shop install it (borla muffler p/n 11751) because i was nervous about lifting the car with one jack and going under it.

Sounds like crap but its really loud... I removed the muffler and threw it in the trunk then drove home with my yeilds on going about 30 so i wouldn't get pulled over for the noise.

this mornign i realized the tip is wrecked and bent so im looking for a new muffler SLP?

2007 Mustang V6 - Auto - Borla Axleback Exhaust, Airaid CAI, SCT XCAL 3, Shaftmaster's Aluminum Driveshaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

Sounds to me like you will want to contact the shop who put the exhaust on for some help with the cost,depending of course how long you had it on .

2006 Torch Red GT 5 speed Black Leather Shaker Hood Scoop CAI black spoiler mirror covers shorty antenna black billett fuel door mustang license plate brackets
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
MACH I Member
S197 Member

That sucks dude. I say look at Boom Tubes to replace it

2008 Grabber Orange GT premium, 5 speed manual, 3.31s
C&L Racer CAI, Kooks LT headers and catted H pipe, MAC Boom Tubes, Diablosport Predator Tuner with AM/Bama Tunes

Heroes Live Forever

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I would go back to the muffler shop that installed it and complain. If it was installed properly it would never had come apart. Probably he did not tack weld it, thus the problem
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
BOSS Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

that sucks dude, but if youre going to replace it i wouldnt look SLP, its basically gonna sound the same as your car did without the muffler!

1985 Regatta Blue vert 5.0- 87 5.0 shortblock, T5 transmission, Steeda Tri-ax Shifter, A/C delete, UDP's, edelbrock rpm performer intake, holley 600 4bbl carb, dual flowmaster 44's with o/r H pipe, MSD ignition, 1.72 roller rockers, Tokico HP shocks/struts, FRPP B springs, FRPP 4.10's

2003 F150 Lariat 4x4-DD
2007 V6 Nitrous injected-SOLD
2002 GT 5 speed- SOLD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

mine is not tack welded, and its never come loose, but even if it did, if both(2) hangers are on the muffler properly, then it would never fall if it did come loose. even if the clamp was loose they cant hardly move. i would get them to cover it.

05 V6 auto,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
Snackmaster

Definately hit the shop back up. In good light I'd make sure nothing else was bent or damaged... you never know!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to A7X1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
I would go back to the muffler shop that installed it and complain. If it was installed properly it would never had come apart. Probably he did not tack weld it, thus the problem
I agree they need to make it right, its not suppose to fall off when your driving like that if its installed right no matter what.

-A7X-
~Stang Syndicate Boston~ *2006 Torch Red GT* 10/10/07
Performance: Borla FRPP Stingers w/ True Dual Midpipes, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, Nitto 555 Extremes.
Visual: Black AVS Tail Light Trim, Honeycomb Tail Light Vinyl, Black Racing stripes, 35% Window Tint, Trunk Blackout Panel, Billet Antenna Delete, Mirror Covers, 17" Konig "Further" Rims, Quarter Window Louvers, 20% Tinted Head Light/Turn Signal, Boss C-Stripes, CS/GT C-Scoops.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

yep i'm gunna take it to the shop on monday (its right down the road) and ask them to put it back on for free. When i looked at the muffler and underneath the car there was only one clamp so either they never put the second one on or it fell off in the street. There were no bad vibrations or any warning before the thing just fell off.

the only thing is the tip looks terrible and the chambers have some dents to i might not want it back on my car... i'm probobly just going to get a different one, and suck it up and put it on myself.

2007 Mustang V6 - Auto - Borla Axleback Exhaust, Airaid CAI, SCT XCAL 3, Shaftmaster's Aluminum Driveshaft.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I would still take it back and make them replace it. If you want to change it that's ok too.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
This is the first I've ever heard of this happening.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page