Ford says replacement keys cost $110? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

Ford says replacement keys cost $110?

Has anyone had to replace their keys I have an 08 GT and the car alarm is not attached to the key and is aftermarket anyway. I lost keys out at an excersise and can find my spares and for said that their is a chip inside for my model and year and it wont crank unless it;s programmed. I think this is Bull, he first asked if it was attached to the door opener and when I said no he said you dont have to prgram and then said you do I think they have there heads in dark places.

Any info would be good

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

PB [email protected], [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I think they all have that chip in the key.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009
Banned
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to 05horse Send a message via MSN to 05horse Send a message via Yahoo to 05horse
yea the keys have to be programmed.

you could try takeing it to a store and getting one made, i mean its cheap if it dont work fork out the dough...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009
Apprentice
S197 Member

Sadly this isn't bull. Most newer keys have a passive anti theft system (PATS) where there is a chip inside the key body that allows your car to crank when the key is turned. There is a procedure to program spare keys yourself for only the cost of the key blank and cut, but you HAVE to have 2 keys already programmed to the car to do it. If you only have 1 key left, you can't program it yourself and have to go to ford to get it done for you. $110 is unfortunately what they charge. Maybe there is a DIY workaround, but I haven't heard of one.

If you get your key replaced, look up the PATS programming procedure and make yourself some extras. The blanks are pretty cheap on ebay.

Good luck

2006 Black Mustang GT Coupe
Automatic Trans
8/30/2006

Flows, C&L CAI, SCT tuner from Doug, PI 3000 stall lockup converter, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Spydershaft, Automber Cobalt Trans temp and oil pressure gauges, Innovate Wideband, SOS A-Pillar replacement, Meziere eH2O pump, FRPP 3.73s, J&M 3 Link, Pioneer Avic-D3, Grillcraft replacement grilles
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

i got mine for 75 and i tryed the spare without the chip it wont turn over it scared me the first time i had no idea about the chips and i had just bought the car and i was like crap it doesnt run a few quick calls later and i learned all about pats

2004 V6 stang w/manual tranny E.T.-14.6 @ 93 shootin for 12s
Sitting in the closet.... 2 16g turbos,42lb frpp injectors, lightning maf, inovative wideband,tial bov,tial wastegates, SVT focus pump...and money for costum piping looking for 330hp and 400ftlb torque @ the wheels
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009

This is correct. I just bought an 04 GT. A key cost me $75 from a locksmith. Would have been $110 with key and remote. The dealer wanted to charge $90 for a key. But it will be cheaper if you want more keys made.
The programmer locks out the car computer for approx 10 minutes during the process. Whic is why it would be cheaper if wanted more than one key made. But at that price it is hard enough getting one key made.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member

It just sucks because I have to tow my car 20 miles to have this done on top of the $110. I wonder if I can disable it.

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

PB [email protected], [email protected]
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Yup, I lost both my keys in a week on my Dodge truck (in the snow), and ended up having to tow the truck to the dealer to get one cut and programmed. That one had the remote in the key. It was $90 for the key, $15 to cut the key off the VIN, $25 for the programming, and $70 for the tow! $200 because I lost a key while shovelling snow. I got the two keys back when it thawed, and now I have 3.

Funny thing, I lost one about a month ago, and the other day I felt my knife drop out of my jacket pocket down the side of the Mustang console, and when I reached under the seat to grab it I found the Dodge key!

The chip is a transponder, and while it isn't too expensive in itself, it's the programming and cutting from a VIN that sucks. Note to self: always have a spare. If you lose the spare, get another BEFORE you lose the second one.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009
PONY Member
S197 Member

I bought 1 just to have another spare. Went right to the parts counter at my local Ford dealer, They can cut it based on your VIN. Check you owners manual, it will walk you step by step on how to program it. I paid less that $50.

Gook Luck!

2007 Roush Stage 1,Roush Stage2Suspension,Bullitt Strut Brace,RoushCAI,BrenspeedTunes,RoushAxleBack Exhaust,SteedaUnderdrivePullies,SteedaSSBrakelines ,MGWshifter,PaintedRearAxle,Carbon FiberInterior,Leather, Stripes,Alpine CDA-9886 w/BostonAcousticsSpeakers/Shelby Kicker Subs,Sirius, BMR Adj Panhard Bar,CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters,3D Carbon Eleanor Grille,Optima Yellow Top,RadiumEngineeringCatchCan,Shaftmasters Driveshaft,UMI Traction kit,StopTech slotted Rotors,EBC Reds.
Rookie
4.6L Member

Does anyone know if you can make a copy of the key with the original key only and not the car...(I live in Japan and some items here are ridiculously expensive others cheap) I'm going home next month I could take the original (I just have one) and go to the dealer in the states..and take model info....registration etc..

Do they need the car to set it??
PONY Member

Burton, just order a key blank off of Ebay for your year and bring it to Ford to get cut according to your VIN. Then program it yourself. If you need the procedure look in your owners manual, if not I'll email it to ya because I have the workshop manual. If you decide to do the tow route remember T&L Roadside, Travis is in our club and will give you a good rate, also he has a flatbed.

2008 Dark Candy Red V6 Coupe 220hp/232torq SOLD
2006 F250 XLT 6.0L Turbo Diesel Innovative Xtreme Street Tune
1967 Coupe w/ 289 Auto
MACH I Member

There is a reason it takes two keys in order for you to program a third key yourself. If it only took one key, then anyone who ever parks your car would only need to keep a supply of blanks with him and use your key the short time he has it to make a copy of your key (and then steal your car at his leisure). Needing two keys in order to program a third spare is in itself part of the anti-theft system.

We all need to either pay the $50 or so for a blank and program a third key ourselves (while we still have the original two keys), or just never ever lose a key. Murphy's law says that those who pay for a third key now will never need it, while those who don't go to the trouble and expense of obtaining and programming a third key will most certainly be the ones who lose one (or both) of their keys in the future.

2013 Boss 302 gotta-have-it green
2008 Shelby GT500 torch red with black stripes + sequentials
2001 Cobra mineral grey with 2003 Mach 1 shaker hood
1996 Cobra color-shifting mystic paint + sequentials
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Paul View Post
There is a reason it takes two keys in order for you to program a third key yourself. If it only took one key, then anyone who ever parks your car would only need to keep a supply of blanks with him and use your key the short time he has it to make a copy of your key (and then steal your car at his leisure). Needing two keys in order to program a third spare is in itself part of the anti-theft system.

We all need to either pay the $50 or so for a blank and program a third key ourselves (while we still have the original two keys), or just never ever lose a key. Murphy's law says that those who pay for a third key now will never need it, while those who don't go to the trouble and expense of obtaining and programming a third key will most certainly be the ones who lose one (or both) of their keys in the future.
The cost of a replacement key is ridiculous these days. I remember as a kid getting one cut at the hardware store for like a buck! Those were the days. Of course, nobody would want to jack my '81 Fox body with the fake white vinyl convertible top and the in-line six....

I wonder if PATS really deters crooks? I wouldn't be surprised if the car thieves nowadays have some sort of software to defeat the "chip on a key" technology.

Anyway, the quote I got today 1/17/2014, was $120 for a key WITHOUT A FOB built-in (valet-type key). For a key with fob, it was like $220 after cutting and programming! WTF???

It's absurb and expensive. If this is the cost, you should be issued three keys with your purchase, or they should have some sort of warranty coverage for them? My metal key post snapped right out of the fob body. The fob still works, too, all the buttons are still functional.

This type of stupid stuff just pisses me off to no end.

2010 V6 Premium convertible
black/tan top, parchment tan interior, stock
PONY Member

Ace hardware sells replacement keys with the chips for half the cost of the dealer. I lost my keys a couple years ago got a new key from ace. Its programmed to the car and works just like factory.

2008 Triple black Convertible GT Premium, Auto
Charcoal premium wheels, Appearance and comfort packages
Roush CAI, Bama Tune, FRPP axle backs.
Steeda strut brace, Honey comb rear deck lid, Sequential tail lights, Tail light frames, MMD side scoops, MMD styling bar.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Look for the keys on amazon, they are like $10. As long as you have your 2 Keys programmed, you an program the key yourself. you just have to go to a hardware store to get it cut.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page