Dynamat Installation (Trunk) - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbubbles View Post
06hoss, you inspired me, so I bought two boxes and today installed the contents of one of them in the trunk. Actually a pretty easy job that took me less than 3 hours including cleanup. I even put some on the inside of the outer fenders and inside the trunk lid.

Looks like I am going to have to get an extra box to do the doors and floor pretty soon. I haven't driven it yet, but I expect to notice a difference.

Frank
I think you'll like it. Yeah, the job isn't too bad...not a knuckle buster at least. It really killed the drone on my mufflers. It made my stereo sound a little bit better too...maybe because I could hear it over the drone. When you do your doors, please post pics of the process, because I might do those if I ever get around to it.

06 Stang GT, Yeah I got stuff! Check out my profile for the low down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Hi hoss-

Just got back from a short errand in the car. Not too much difference in the road noise, didn't get going that fast. Turned on a CD and I think the bass comes through more strongly from the rear speakers. My mufflers are GTA's so there never has been any drone, but I can still hear them enough.

I am stoked and I think I will tackle the doors tomorrow. There is a tutorial on the Dynamat website that details how to do the doors. You use the clear plastic moisture barrier as a template to cut the Dynamat to fit. It looks like simple disassembly and reassembly then.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Frank

2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Brembos, Auto, GT500 Axlebacks.

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
Apprentice

looks really good. pics show a nice clean look. great job.

12.2 @ 112. Wanting 11s so badd

GT Member
S197 Member

Did the doors this morning. I used about 2 1/2 sheets to do both. It fits mostly on the outer door panel and access to that area is easy, once you have the trim panel off. Nine small screws and two "bolts" and the door panel comes off. Everything unsnaps and it isn't too bad, except for undoing the door open cable from the handle. It took about 3 hours to do both.

Drove it for about an hour after that and there is a noticeable difference in interior noise and the sound of the stereo. This is with the trunk and both doors "matted". I can't wait to do the floor in the cabin, maybe this next weekend. I have 6 1/2 sheets left, but I don't think that is quite enough to cover the floor. Maybe if I get a small package of it now, it will be enough.

Frank

SOLD! 2008 GT Premium, Vapor Metallic, 5-speed stick w/MGW, Ford Racing M6066 Whipple S/C, 3.31 gear, GTA's. GT500 front end, spoiler, suspension and wheels. Sequentials and one touch. - can't wipe the smile off my face.
PONY Member

I did my trunk and ended up with about 300 little aluminum-paper-cuts on my fingers..... but I am glad to hear I only added about 20lbs to the car - I though it would have been more
MACH I Member

Garage
Great job Dan. May look into doing that on the wifes vert. Would like to do mine, but gotta keep weight off (its on a diet ) for the HPDE. I get a fair amount of drone too around 24-2500, but not at all like yours from your description. Will be changing out the exhaust system anyway in about a week to the Roush Extreme Performance Exhaust and testimony from RPP and owners say it eliminates almost all in car drone.

Your still running headers too right?

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuna42 View Post
I did my trunk and ended up with about 300 little aluminum-paper-cuts on my fingers..... but I am glad to hear I only added about 20lbs to the car - I though it would have been more
I found out about the edges of the dynamat when doing my MGW shifter. I was a little more careful while doing this job and didn't have even one(I used a roller everywhere I could). I'm not too concerned about the added weight as I have no intention of racing it in any way. The quieter ride is the payoff.

I'll try to do at least the passenger side floor this coming weekend and figure out how much extra Dynamat I'll have to get, if any.

Frank

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
Great job Dan. May look into doing that on the wifes vert. Would like to do mine, but gotta keep weight off (its on a diet ) for the HPDE. I get a fair amount of drone too around 24-2500, but not at all like yours from your description. Will be changing out the exhaust system anyway in about a week to the Roush Extreme Performance Exhaust and testimony from RPP and owners say it eliminates almost all in car drone.

Your still running headers too right?
Yeah, AR long tubes...with MAC muffs...so my exhaust is pretty loud.
I like it loud, just loud without the stupid drone. The dynamat knocked the drone down a lot.

post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbubbles View Post
I found out about the edges of the dynamat when doing my MGW shifter. I was a little more careful while doing this job and didn't have even one(I used a roller everywhere I could). I'm not too concerned about the added weight as I have no intention of racing it in any way. The quieter ride is the payoff.

I'll try to do at least the passenger side floor this coming weekend and figure out how much extra Dynamat I'll have to get, if any.

Frank
Yeah Frank, I'm with you...the quieter ride is the payoff...heck with the weight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page