Car show bias against Mustangs? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MaverickMLFD371 Send a message via MSN to MaverickMLFD371 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickMLFD371
I've been going to car shows for years, ever since I got my new stang. Car shows since I've started have de-railed from the old fashioned "fingering your rims for brake dust judging" to the "popularity peer judging". thats all car shows are now these days, going around and finding your favorite car aka "the popular one" and voting for it. I've been to shows where there have been cars with 25" rims, lambo doors, 5k stereo systems in the trunk that have taken home trophies and the most deserving cars, haven't gone home with anything. I'm young, but I'm old fashioned when it comes to shows, I like to vote on the deserving cars, antiques, classics, muscle cars. those who have been kept in great shape and all original.

I know the car show coming up by me i'm going to is a big festival/carinival/car show event. so once again its going to be a peer judged show. so when you have peers that have kids with them, the kids are going to vote for the cool "matchbox" looking cars or those with the lambo doors. it sucks, but thats what happens.

2005 Ford Mustang GT *Sonic Blue*
Whipple Supercharged H.O. Intercooled

495 RWHP / 504 RWTQ SAE Corrected @ 11psi
Tuned By Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

I agree with many of the posts...Originality should be recognized, but I think should have its own category, and not judged against classic muscle for best in show.

05 Mustang GT Coupe (Modifications in profile)
91 Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible (Bone Stock)

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
One show, that had about 400 cars of all varities, had dam near all the awards given to corvettes.
I went to the Corvette show at Carlisle the other weekend, and it was actually pretty boring. I think sometimes Mustang folks go overboard on dress-up (i.e. every chrome accessory in the engine bay until it blinds you, with an unmodified engine!) but almost every Corvette there looked either stock (to my eyes) or was modified in poor taste. Like the one that they made look like a hearse by extending the back, and put a fake skeleton in the driver's seat, and called the "Bone Mobile" or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Yup I was at a show yesterday and 2 cars down from mine was a new Camaro, everyone had to look at the V6 Camaro!
They had a new Camaro there, too, and that was the first I had to look under the hood. It's a big beast, but I was really amazed at how much space there was between the front of the engine and the front of the car. Muscle cars are supposed to have that long hood/short trunk proportion. The new Camaro always looks to me like the hood is too short, or the passenger compartment is too long, and here the front 8" of the engine compartment is just empty space!

2005 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Cold Air Intake/Diablosport Predator Tune
Tokico D-Spec Shocks & Struts
Steeda Sport Springs/Front and Rear Swaybar/Front Swaybar Brace/LCAs/Adjustable Panhard Bar and Brace
Steeda-branded Borla Stingers
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
1965 "GT" Logo and some other chrome bits

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It's funny how everyone has a different opinion on what a car show should be. This is exactly the reason it becomes a popularity contest. The ones that spend countless hours scouring the internet for the next bolt on bling accessory feel they have come up with the perfect car and deserve recognition, while the guy that spent countless hours scouring junk yards for all original parts and has a perfectly restored vehicle feels he shouldn't have to compete against people who aren't "purists", and then you have the "resto-mod" group who does both - restores an old car and blings it up with a ton of chrome and paint and expects to win based on having what they think is the perfect car. Funny thing is they are all correct.. They all have vehicles that should get recognition at a show.

Furthermore, the guy that just likes working on and driving and showing his car deserves recognition, as does the one that went out of their way to be one of the first to get a new model, or the guy that brough an exotic car to the show. Even the guy with the bone stock S197 that is detailed to perfection. They all deserve recognition.

About the only one's that I don't think should be there are the ones that don't bother to clean the car. You know the type.. the ones that halfway restored their car 10 years ago and either ran out of money or time or willpower to complete it, but take it out of storage a few times per year and take it to a show. Regardless of how rare, cool, how much potential it has, or what kind of engine they put in it, if they aren't going to detail it, might as well stay home.

I am really going to make an effort to please as many of the different types of people with the show I am planning for next summer. We will have the "people's choice" in each class, and the "competitors choice" in each class, but also a judged award for each class, an award for best detailed where we get out the white gloves, and the classes will make sense, divided by genre..

I think the bottom line is that people who make the effort to bring a car to a show want recognition for their efforts, and if you give that to them, the show will be a success.

PONY Member
S197 Member

I only enter shows that are judged with inspection checklists and are sponsored by Mustang Clubs or Classis Car Clubs that have members with all makes and models. Go to a show that is run by a Chevy club and a Mustang will be lucky to get anything. I wouldn't waste my time with a show that had only popular vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page