Mustang GT '06 warm up! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Mustang GT '06 warm up!

hello

everyday i wake up and warm my mustang for 5-8 mins .. and i heared this not good for engine ..

I am live in Kuwait and there to hot its 45C in summer ..

can i know the best time to warm up my baby xD

xoxo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
You don't need to warm it up that long. 60 seconds and you can drive it. You shouldn't go full throttle, though, until the engine reaches operating temperature.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009
ModsStang

My dad always told me when the RPMs kick down after start up (short span in summer, longer in winter), I could get going and drive it around 25mph until the temp comes up - otherwise it's unnecessary wear and tear on the engine components to let it sit and idle. I don't know - but it's worked for me so far in life...:hihi:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

modern cars don't need to "warm up" like they did back in the day. Usually by the time that you start it up drive down the driveway it is OK to drive. You should never push the engine until it reaches operating temperature, but regular (easy) driving should be fine. Especially if you are in a warm climate to begin with. The oil will benefit from the heat and flow well on startup.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudisStang View Post
My dad always told me when the RPMs kick down after start up (short span in summer, longer in winter), I could get going and drive it around 25mph until the temp comes up - otherwise it's unnecessary wear and tear on the engine components to let it sit and idle. I don't know - but it's worked for me so far in life...:hihi:

I used to do the same thing with my previous cars (wait for 5-6 min) until my dad told me the same thing No problem

13' Mustang GT 5.0L Grabber Blue 401a, 6spd manual, Brembo brake pkg with Boss radiator, engine oil cooler, Torsen differential & 3.73 gears. Back up camera with Navigation.
Mods - Flowmaster Outlaw, Roush front, side, rear splitter. Roush hood scoop + quarter window louvers, Barton 2 piece shifter bracket
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

I dont think my neighbors would like me starting it up in the morning and letting it idle that long I start it, and gently idle out of the driveway and idle down the street also

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
You don't need to warm it up that long. 60 seconds and you can drive it. You shouldn't go full throttle, though, until the engine reaches operating temperature.
+1.....now if I could only get my wife to grasp this concept. I have no idea how she does it but she can fire her Taurus up, throw it in reverse and be out of the garage and on the way down the driveway before the starter even spins down. It really doesn't bother me that much anymore after 20 some years

"You can't fix stupid"

Tuned by PowerHouse411
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/05gt View Post
+1.....now if I could only get my wife to grasp this concept. I have no idea how she does it but she can fire her Taurus up, throw it in reverse and be out of the garage and on the way down the driveway before the starter even spins down. It really doesn't bother me that much anymore after 20 some years
My wife doesn't get it either. That, or getting the oil changed at regular intervals.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
BOSS Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

just give it a minute. start it up, put on your seatbelt, pick your favorite CD, put the song on, and then cruise, dont mash it until you reach operating temp, as said before

1985 Regatta Blue vert 5.0- 87 5.0 shortblock, T5 transmission, Steeda Tri-ax Shifter, A/C delete, UDP's, edelbrock rpm performer intake, holley 600 4bbl carb, dual flowmaster 44's with o/r H pipe, MSD ignition, 1.72 roller rockers, Tokico HP shocks/struts, FRPP B springs, FRPP 4.10's

2003 F150 Lariat 4x4-DD
2007 V6 Nitrous injected-SOLD
2002 GT 5 speed- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page