Sun fading after stripe removal? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to burnrubber4.0
Sun fading after stripe removal?

man i wish i could take my stripes off. yea they look nice, but theyre vynl....and getting old. i think it gives my car some personality, but after having them for a little over 2yrs now theyre starting to crack and fade in places. so far my options are: take them off, put on a flat black spoiler and call it a day/ get new ones put on/ or get them painted. im planning on a cowl hood in the near future so if i decide to get them painted, ill have it all done at once as well as the hood. i just dont know how theyd look with the cowl? now id really like to just take em off and go with my black spoiler idea, but im afraid there might be some kind of sun fading. being on a white car it would make it more noticable i think, but being white you would think it would reflect the sun better. its a garage queen so if its outside im driving it or washing it. its been waxed at least every 3 weeks or so and i take very good care of it. do you think il have sun fading if i take em off?

2006 4.0 V6 Mustang/X Charger #128
Mods: Too many, check out my profile.
Probably currently under modification...
My wheels are for sale! Look in the classifieds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
GT Member

I would be worried that there would be a little difference in the paint color. I would leave them on for now and wait until you get a new hood and get it painted so its done the right way. I'm not a big fan of white with a flat black spoiler.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

My friend bought an 02 mustang, it was white with a black color stripes on the side, the strips were at least 4 years old, he took them off to replace them and told me that the strips seemed to have preserved the tone of paint well. That was in Canada, so the sun isn't as strong, so I guess you should be careful, but with all that waxing you really shouldn't be all that worried.

Defiantly keep them until the hood, then repaint.

2007 Mustang V6 Convertible
Interior: 2010 Black Leather, LED Lighting, Kenwood 7120 Nav System, Back Up Cam, Video Out from Zune 120.
Exterior: Gt500 Mufflers, Sequential Tail Lights, 14' Antenna, Tinted Windows, Black Stripes, hood Pins, Roush Hood Scoop, Top Billet Grille, Halo Fog Lamps, Bottom Metallic Billet Grille, Roll Light Bar
Performance: Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, Custom Tune.
Installing right now: Halo, Projector, Led, HID Headlights, Clear Colored Front Signals
Want Rims Already

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

On a base coat clear coat paint job the color does not fade the clear does. You might try and use a very mild polishing compound where the stripes were where as the rest of the area was maintained with wax/polish.

98'GT Rio Red
Loaded opts. from the factory
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

yea, i think it could be polished to hide or even buffed. im going to wait for my hood then give it a try...my idea with the black spolier was to also eventually find some black chrome wheels, like cobra r's or something. just something different

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Mine were on for over a year and I couldn't tell when they were removed.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
SHELBY GT 500 Member

if anything the paint outside the stripes would be faded. even if it is, it will buff out( it would just be oxidation) but i think you`ll be ok since your car is so babied

05 V6 auto,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

haha, yea i might as well give it a room in my house. i try not to even drive when it rains

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009

I am suprised your stripes are already fading and cracking especially if it sits in the garage alot. My wife left mine out in the vegas summer the entire time on my last deployment. I left with nice stripes and came home to faded cracked stripes. When I took them off to replace them(which took forever) I noticed a slight difference but I have an 05 and just did it this year. But it gave me a reason to go from 7" stripes to 10" thank you honey.
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

you have a good color as for fadding. Id say take them off and I doubt you'd see where they were. like you said you may have to do some buffing to hide them.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

hmm...so if i decide to take em off...whats the most efficient way? wd40 and goo gone? diesel haha?

GT Member

Boil some water and squirt it on the stripes with a turkey baster. Super easy to get the stripes off. No residue even.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I took the side stripes off my mustang and there is some very slight color difference. Its not enough to worry me.

1969 Mustang Fastback, 347 Stroker, Tremec 5 speed.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Think of it this way... If there is fading, you will already have ghost stripes, which look cool!
PONY Member
S197 Member

You shouldn't see any fading. In the off chance there is any, it is really easy to remedy. Clay bar it, use meguiars pure polish, and then a coat of NXT.

2007 Mustang GT
Windveil Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page