Shorty antenna breaking??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009 Thread Starter
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Shorty antenna breaking???

okay so now i have offically broken 2 shorty antennas while putting my car cover on they simply fall over and snap at the base. I have been extra careful ever since i broke the first one but i broke the 2nd one last week and am now back to the 39" mast again....

Anyone else have a similar issue?

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
Snackmaster

I usually just unscrew the mast when putting on a cover but that's on my 96GT. I haven't put a cover on the 06 yet as it's garaged.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
PONY Member
2.3L Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If you don't listen to the radio often, why not just remove the antenna all together and just leave the base?

White 1993 Mustang LX 2.3L; my trusty daily driver.
Black 2005 Mustang GT; my babied weekend warrior.
"Money doesn't grow on trees. It's planted in my Mustangs."
I am a girl and yes, these are my Mustangs!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
GT Member

+1 on it bending easily when putting on the cover. That's one of the reasons I switched from the stock 29" to an 8".

Kind of a pain to remove, I miss the power antennas of my 80's Japanese cars now...

Now: 2016 Mustang GT Fastback-Magnetic Metallic, Ford Racing Touring axle-backs, Ford Racing front strut and k-brace, K&N CAI, sound tube delete, 1975 Corvette Coupe-L48, 4-speed

Past Lives: 2001 Corvette Z51 Coupe, 2012 Mustang Grabber Blue Coupe, 2008 Mustang Torch Red Vert, 1988 Mazda RX-7 Vert, 1985 Nissan 300ZX, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1971 Datsun 240Z, 1972 Fiat 124 Vert, 1971 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
GT Member

I got a UPR antenna delete in black finish. It still lets you get local stations and looks great. Its about 2 inches long. Just take off your antenna. I used to. And as far as being a pain its nothing in the grand scheme of trying to get the car cover on.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
PONY Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ChaosFury
solution: take the antenna off before you put the cover on.

I don't think it's that hard to take off/put on....

Elenora. Watch out, she may kick.

2012 GT Premium: Race red - automatic - 3:31 gears - HID headlights - all weather 19" Pirelli tires - Roush axle-back exhaust, GT/CS Spoiler. Coming soon: quarter panel & rear window louvers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Maybe if you got a fexible antenna like they sell at AM. Not the spun billit ones. Thats why i didnt get a billit ant. I was scared it would get bent or break.

'05 GT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I bought my 8" Shorty because I wanted a stub antenna, or antenna delete. It broke off in less than a month so I was left with a stub. My reception works just fine so I left it as is. I dabbed a little black paint on the top to cover the wire that was showing and now I couldn't be happier.

1969 Mustang Fastback, 347 Stroker, Tremec 5 speed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009
Apprentice
V6 Member

I bought a shorty antenna which lasted about 2 years before it broke. I had kept the original factory antenna (just cause) so I decided I'd make my own shorty antenna from that. I cut it to the desired length, then added a round plastic bead on the top to finish it off. It's very sturdy, looks great, works as well as it did when it was full length, and the cost was right ($0).

Les Bateman, 2006 V6, Pony Package ; Eibach springs, dual cat-back exhaust, shorty headers, shaker hood, blackout hood and pinstripe, Agent47 mirrors, rear window louvers, custom-built center caps, chromed shelby wheels, blackout gas filler door, sequential turn signals, chrome trim rear lights, center console pad and arm rest pads, Bama performance tunes, ....and more on the way!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbateman View Post
... I decided I'd make my own shorty antenna from that. I cut it to the desired length, then added a round plastic bead on the top to finish it off. It's very sturdy, looks great, works as well as it did when it was full length, and the cost was right ($0).

Great idea! I love self done mods that turn out good.

2007 Vista Blue GT Convertible
More mods than are readily apparent and that my wife knows about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page