Vortech V3 supercharger question? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Vortech V3 supercharger question?

So I'm planning on getting a Vortech V3 non intercooled from brenspeed sometime in the next couple months. I've heard around the site that non intercooled will over heat. My question is how I could make it over heat and or ways to prevent it w/o buying the intercooled kit because i don't have the money for that yet.

06 Mustang GT - AT

Show
- Roush racing stripes, spoiler, quarter window louvers, & rear louvers- Shelby Razor 20x9 rims, side scoops, hood pins- Push button Ignition

Go- Roush CAI- Steeda UDP- Magnaflow X-Pipe- SCT Xcal 3- Ford Racing 3.73 gears

Future Show- C/S rear bumper, Re-stripe, Engine dress up

Future Go - Camshafts, Kooks LT, CMCV delete plates

1/4 mile ET: 13.377
1/4 mile MPH: 103.77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
It's not going to overheat. Yes it will run hotter since you're compressing the air going into the intake but that's to be expected. On really hot days you will notice a decline in performance as the engine heat soaks. Did you get the IAT relocation kit with it?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to MeanChad1 Send a message via Skype™ to MeanChad1
Don't even worry about it overheating.. The v3 is a great supercharger and Im sure you will love it.

2003 Mustang GT: Its blown and fully built

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

how much extra is too get the intercooler??

i.imgur.com/hlhwCJZ.jpg
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
honestly, since its coming around in winter time and even in FL its going to be cooler, just don't drive like an idiot until you get the I/C. if you romp on it, give it a bit to cool off before romping again.

Just use your noggin and watch the temp gauge

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givantsbluebaby View Post
how much extra is too get the intercooler??
It's about $1800... Better to get the air-air than the air-water in my opinion.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to MeanChad1 Send a message via Skype™ to MeanChad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
It's about $1800... Better to get the air-air than the air-water in my opinion.
Doesn't air to air rob boost?

2003 Mustang GT: Its blown and fully built
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

What is a IAT relocation kit?

06 Mustang GT - AT

Show
- Roush racing stripes, spoiler, quarter window louvers, & rear louvers- Shelby Razor 20x9 rims, side scoops, hood pins- Push button Ignition

Go- Roush CAI- Steeda UDP- Magnaflow X-Pipe- SCT Xcal 3- Ford Racing 3.73 gears

Future Show- C/S rear bumper, Re-stripe, Engine dress up

Future Go - Camshafts, Kooks LT, CMCV delete plates

1/4 mile ET: 13.377
1/4 mile MPH: 103.77
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Kilmore View Post
What is a IAT relocation kit?
IAT stands for Intake Air Temperature. With this kit we relocate the IAT sensor to one of the front runners on your intake manifold in order to more accurately read intake temps. This is an add precaution and tells the computer to pull timing when intake temps are too high. The IAT relocation comes with our V3 kit.

You will not need to worry about intake temps with this kit. We spent hundreds of hours developing this kit in order to be mail order ready. During high heat/humidity days, you will notice a small drop in power which is due to the pulling of timing because of air intake temps. This kit is designed to be a no worry kit and is upgradable down the road.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanChad1 View Post
Doesn't air to air rob boost?
Probably a little but you compensate with a smaller pulley. Air-air has much greater Hp capability.

1965 Mustang Coupe

Last edited by stlwagon; 11-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd go with a Kenne Bell or the new Edelbrock..vortech is known for head problems and crappy customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Manystangs View Post
I'd go with a Kenne Bell or the new Edelbrock..vortech is known for head problems and crappy customer service
We have been a Paxton/Vortech dealer since Brenspeed's start in 2004 and yet to have issues. We did have one head unit leak and it was covered under warranty. Both John and Micah at Paxton/Vortech are oustanding guys and are always there to answer any questions we have to take care of any issues.Their customer service is top knotch with us. Sorry if they treated you differently.

As for the Edelbrock, it is new to the market but it too is a very respectable blower from a respectable company. We did just release Brenspeed staged e-force kits but they are more expensive than a Vortech V3 kit, which is a driving factor.

We at Brenspeed will not offer a product from a company that treats us with poor customer service because we therefore cannot offer our customers the customer service they deserve.
Classic Member
S197 Member

I had to send my Vortech compressor back for a minor rebuild after less than a year.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I've seen a number of threads beating up Kenne Bell for questionable customer service.

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
PONY Member
S197 Member

Not to jinx myself, but my V3 has been awesome for about a year now. I originally bought it non-intercooled as well, and since added a methanol injection on it to cool off the IAT temps. Since the methanol upgrade I have been even happier. This V3 is more of a beast than is advertised. If I were you I would NOT get the tune from Vortech, as it is quite lame in terms of HP. I would get a tune from a better vendor right off the bat. Like if you buy your setup through Brenspeed, get their custom tune. The Vortech tune will make like 370rwhp, and a good tune from a vendor will produce more like 420rwhp big big difference. And it will probably cost you the same.

2005 GT Premium - Mineral Grey 5-speed MT
Vortech Supercharged - Steeda Billet LCAs, Steeda UCA, UPR adj. Panhard bar, FRPP K-member brace, GT500 Strut Tower Brace, Walbro 255lph Dual pump, FRPP 39# injectors, AIS Water/Meth Injection, Ported Throttle Body. 440rwhp / 406rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in