Rattling at 800 RPM coming from exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Rattling at 800 RPM coming from exhaust?

Hey folks, it's me again. A little while after getting my new exhaust setup (which I love :kooky I have noticed this kind of annoying rattling/gargling noise.... I ignored it for a while...didn't really pay a lot of attention to it. The other day I started trying to diagnose what I do or when it makes it rattle, and I found out it's every time I hit 800 rpm...pulling out somewhere like my garage and leaving for school it rattles. Last night I had to wait for a train and I sat their and revved it slowly and every time it hit 800 RPM it rattled. Any ideas??? I've heard stories about mechanics leaving something in the exhaust or something on accident...who knows lol.

Thanks for the suggestions

07 Grabber V6
Appearance:Pony Package Mach1 look alike sorta
Performance:Straight Pipes into Shelby GT500 Mufflers
Future:CAI+tunes;4.10's t-lok on 7.5;MAC Longtubes;Sequentials and Quarter Louvers
The Greek Definition of Happiness: The full use of your powers along the lines of excellence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Put it up on ramps, pin something to the accelerator to hold 800 rpms (with the car in park and scotched) and climb under to diagnose your problem. Probably vibrating against an exhaust hanger or a cat shield if your car has those. Problem solved.

Cruising the misinformation superhighway in a Terminator.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ive had this problem, if you get a hand held tuner and set the idle rpms above 1k it will go away. if that doesnt solve it it might be the exhaust hangers rubbing up against some metal underneath the car which was also a problem i had untill i took it back to the shop and got it fixed.

2007 Suzuki SV650s
2007 GT manual - FRPP hot rod cams, Steeda CMDP, BMR upper and lower control arms, BMR upper control arm mount, Sway bar relocation, SLP Line Lock, Kooks long tubes, catted X pipe,SLP Loudmouths, JLT CAI, SCT tuner, FRPP 4.10 gears, Steeda tri-ax shifter, Nitto 555/r 255/45/18 305/40/18

1/4 ET: 13.33 --- 1/4 MPH: 109.06
race weight: 3606lbs --- 332 HP - 306 TQ

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
GT Member
S197 Member

Loose exhaust somewhere.I bet if the car is in park and at 800 rpm it is not rattling. When the motor torques while in gear , it moves and opens the gap. Thats my bet

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan

Last edited by blk281gt; 11-07-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: addition
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
Apprentice

http://www.mustang2005.org/TSB/tsb05...vibrations.pdf

not sure if its the same thing..i think this may only apply to oem exhaust.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroguex View Post
if you get a hand held tuner and set the idle rpms above 1k it will go away
There is no need to raise your rpms. The beauty of these cars is their driveability. Like blk281gt said, you probably need to have the car under load to recreate the problem. Check all the hangers and fittings. You may have a hanger that is actually making contact with the frame of the car. Check for scratches around the muffler hangers. They may only make contact when the car twists or the hangers expanded after heating up.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Probably an overaxle pipe hitting either the spare tire well, panhard brace or axle housing.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Right there with ya on the low rpm rattle......pretty friggin annoying but I have been pretty more friggin lazy and not done **** about it yet......this winter.....maybe.:smilie

2008 Vapor Metallic GT Premium - 5 Spd, IUP, GTAP, Pypes Violators, 17" Aftermarket Wheels (Black/Polished), 8" Shorty Antenna, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Tinted Windows, GT500 Pedals, Pony Tri-bar Mats, CHE LCAs, Mag B-out Panel, GT Pony Dead Pedal, Smoked LED 3rd Brake Lt., Blkd-out turn sigs w/Stealth Bulbs, Projector HLs, Xenon 1/4 Window Lvrs, Splash Guards , Sequentials.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by limedoutstang View Post
http://www.mustang2005.org/TSB/tsb05...vibrations.pdf

not sure if its the same thing..i think this may only apply to oem exhaust.

ok i just realized OP has an 07 and i posted a tsb about the 05's.
LOL
Apprentice
S197 Member

Had the same thing check out the hanger on the exh and u will see it it rubbing on the frame mine did it when i got my exh and put in reverse or take off sounded like rocks in the heat shield
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk281gt View Post
Loose exhaust somewhere.I bet if the car is in park and at 800 rpm it is not rattling. When the motor torques while in gear , it moves and opens the gap. Thats my bet
it actually rattles at idle too, which i thought was weird.

I don't have a way of getting it up in the air to check it out by myself, which sucks! Oh well, I'll check it out...sometime

I figured it was like a hanger rubbing against something, just needed some validation, thanks guys

07 Grabber V6
Appearance:Pony Package Mach1 look alike sorta
Performance:Straight Pipes into Shelby GT500 Mufflers
Future:CAI+tunes;4.10's t-lok on 7.5;MAC Longtubes;Sequentials and Quarter Louvers
The Greek Definition of Happiness: The full use of your powers along the lines of excellence
V6 Member

my 07 has been doing this for the past 30k miles or so. im hoping changing the exhaust will fix it but i believe its a baffle inside the muffler making the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page