Trunk Release Button on AM - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Trunk Release Button on AM

Just thought I'd fill you guys in, i thought this was pritty cool (and about time!). AmericanMuscle.com is selling a trunk release button for your glove box. i haven't seen this before and it was under their "new products" so i thought i would fill you guys in!

SHR Mustang Trunk Release Kit (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Vapor Silver 2008 Mustang GT
-Boom Tubes
-Sequential Tail Lights
-Painted Mirror Covers
-Tinted Windows
-Blue welt around doors and map light
-JVC Head-unit w/ bluetooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009

i thought all upper model mustangs had that. both my 98 v6 and my 98 gt do

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to nuke Send a message via Yahoo to nuke
The S197's don't have a trunk release button.

There's a DIY that's been around quite awhile and pretty simple to do. It costs about $10 or less in parts. I'll try to find it and do a follow-up post or edit.

EDIT: http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/TrunkRelease.htm

Rick
07 GT Prem (mine): Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI/Xcal2 w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars

06 V6 (g/f's): Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars, Mag Blackout, Clear front turnsignals w/chrome-amber bulbs

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009
GT Member

Thats cool and all I bought mine for $20 from BBR at a NHRA NMRA event and then relized it would only cost someone about $13-15 dollars from thier local autone etc and yeah free shipping. I like AM but I hate when things are double what they should be.

Get a thing of the small wire they have rouly 14-16 less than $10 gauge and pop button of your choice normally $3-7 and a box of T-taps about $3

Connect the power line to the 12 cigarette lighter wire green under the console. Connect the switched power to the I believe and orange wire under neath the passanger side door sil plate.
I will confirm when I get home.

Trying to save you and everyone else some $$$$$$ one post at a time.

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

PB [email protected], [email protected]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009
Snackmaster

Keep posting so I can afford that Procharger.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I installed mine a few months ago but I sourced the parts myself and spent about $10-$12. The AM kit is perfect if you are not interested in sourcing your own parts.

Here's mine....

All that you need is a few small parts and the push button switch.

The FORD part number for the push button switch is: D3AY-19C542A, and cost about $8.

"Geezer Club"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey4s View Post
I installed mine a few months ago but I sourced the parts myself and spent about $10-$12. The AM kit is perfect if you are not interested in sourcing your own parts.

Here's mine....

All that you need is a few small parts and the push button switch.

The FORD part number for the push button switch is: D3AY-19C542A, and cost about $8.
i saw that picture on AM, i personaly would have gone with a button a little more subtle that bright yellow (unless the word "EJECT" was somewhere near it )

Vapor Silver 2008 Mustang GT
-Boom Tubes
-Sequential Tail Lights
-Painted Mirror Covers
-Tinted Windows
-Blue welt around doors and map light
-JVC Head-unit w/ bluetooth
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
i saw that picture on AM, i personaly would have gone with a button a little more subtle that bright yellow (unless the word "EJECT" was somewhere near it )

No, it says "trunk release" in two places on the switch, I guess it's bright yellow so you don't accidently hit it, besides you can't see it with the glove box lid closed.

"Geezer Club"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009
Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to MaverickMLFD371 Send a message via MSN to MaverickMLFD371 Send a message via Yahoo to MaverickMLFD371
thats strange. AM sells the SHR (Silver Horse Racing) kit for $39. but I bought it direct from SHR for $19, unless they raised their prices already

2005 Ford Mustang GT *Sonic Blue*
Whipple Supercharged H.O. Intercooled

495 RWHP / 504 RWTQ SAE Corrected @ 11psi
Tuned By Kevin @ Wicked Motorsports
GT Member

Finally 2 forgot to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter87 View Post
Thats cool and all I bought mine for $20 from BBR at a NHRA NMRA event and then relized it would only cost someone about $13-15 dollars from thier local autone etc and yeah free shipping. I like AM but I hate when things are double what they should be.

Get a thing of the small wire they have rouly 14-16 less than $10 gauge and pop button of your choice normally $3-7 and a box of T-taps about $3

Connect the power line to the 12 cigarette lighter wire green under the console. Connect the switched power to the I believe and orange wire under neath the passanger side door sil plate.
I will confirm when I get home.

I went out and looked at the color of the wire on my car and forgot to post.

the switch ed power wire goes from the swith (trunk release to the red/orange or pink/orange under the passanger side door sill. only 2 wire active power to gree on 12 volt running in to armrest the other to where I mention earlier hell by this time you have probaly already got it figured out sorry for the delay.

2008 Mustang GT, On3Performance Turbo Kit 9 PSI, , LFP 4in One Piece DS, MMR Rear Coil Overs, Competition Engineering 3 Way ajustable Rear Shocks, WOT Box, 3:73 gears, B&M LCA

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I went out and looked at the color of the wire on my car and forgot to post.

the switch ed power wire goes from the swith (trunk release to the red/orange or pink/orange under the passanger side door sill. only 2 wire active power to gree on 12 volt running in to armrest the other to where I mention earlier hell by this time you have probaly already got it figured out sorry for the delay.

The trunk release wire in the passangers kick panel is white with a pink stripe. There is no +12v applied to this wire, the trunk release is activated by a momentary ground applied to the W/P wire.

"Geezer Club"
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371 View Post
thats strange. AM sells the SHR (Silver Horse Racing) kit for $39. but I bought it direct from SHR for $19, unless they raised their prices already
Today it's $29.99 on SHR.

2008 Mustang GT Premium, coupe, GT500-esque conversion, standard, torch red w/dark charcoal interior, K&N CAI, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, BBK tuned shorty headers, SCT SF3 / X3 Power Flash Preloaded Custom Tuner, Steeda UDPs, MGW shifter, 18" chrome GT500 wheels, turn signal side mirrors. Torch Red Registry #249

2013 Lexus RX350, 270 HP V6, Fire Agate/Parchment

GT Member

Thumbs down Wrong color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey4s View Post
The trunk release wire in the passangers kick panel is white with a pink stripe. There is no +12v applied to this wire, the trunk release is activated by a momentary ground applied to the W/P wire.
:?::?::?::?:

I checked mine again and yes PINK/ORANGE WIRE maybe a difference in year but I am definatly not wrong and like I said the point of this was to save but not waste it at SHR

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
:?::?::?::?:

I checked mine again and yes PINK/ORANGE WIRE maybe a difference in year but I am definatly not wrong and like I said the point of this was to save but not waste it at SHR

I guess they are different in various production years. Mine is an '05 GT, what year is yours? I have installed several of these for friends but they were all 05 or 06 cars, I will keep this color change in mind if I do another on a newer car. Thanks for the input.

I did mine with a button from Ford and all the rest of the stuff I already had lying around, I agree on that sourcing parts is indeed the cheapest route to take but a lot of folks feel more comfortable with a kit and in those cases I think the SHR kit is a good option.

"Geezer Club"
GT Member

Mine is an 08 that would make since though since there were some changes after 06 to various parts of the car.

Agreed if you dont feel comfortably with the task than it is a good option. I had been doing different electrical things to my car for a while and still bought the kit for I think 18 or 20 from BBR but I didn;t think is was that simple and had to buy something at the event if you know what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page