Best Winter Tires and Prep for 2010 GT Coupe - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Best Winter Tires and Prep for 2010 GT Coupe

Just got my new GT Coupe and need to get expert opinion as to what are the best winter tires to deal with the inclement weather ahead as well as any helpful hints on how to prepare the car to best deal with the winter weather as far as handling is concerned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009
GT Member

u have a new gt and are going to drive that in winter??well id get a 1000 car instead of tires....but blizzaks are good o heard.even all seasons should do ok,depending on type of snow ice etc.google it and also go to car and driver.com and look up there results for winter tires.good luck man!!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Trying To Winterize

Thanks 3Valve46. Yeah, unfortunately I need to drive over the winter with the car, but will keep in garaged on snow days. I heard the wider tires are better for handling and to put weight in the trunk - is this helpful and are there any other things I can do?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Thanks 3Valve46. Yeah, unfortunately I need to drive over the winter with the car, but will keep in garaged on snow days. I heard the wider tires are better for handling and to put weight in the trunk - is this helpful and are there any other things I can do?
well as far as wider tired,i dont think that would work.more slippage id think.i got around on snow days in summer tired in snow,i really wish it didnt start snowing on me.lol.so if you get winter tires,im pretty sure youd get around pretty easy.the weight in the trunk idea works to an extent,but without the proper tires,itll be hard to get around.im really surprised i even got around without winter or all season tires.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah, I am hoping for no snow this season, but its getting cold and wishful thinking. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Bridgestone Blizzaks, FTW.

I'm in Kentucky, so I'm debating whether or not I want to roll my stock Pirelli rubber or go for a set of Blizzaks. We really don't get that much snow down here...and when we do it's cleared up real quick by the road crews or the warmer weather that usually comes the next day.

My luck, considering that I just bought a new Mustang, is that we'll have record snows. LOL

I don't look forward to driving my girl in the winter, but I'm just going to roll on and get it done...taking my time, being smart, and feathering it. I don't have a long commute, thankfully. All I can swing is one vehicle, so it was Mustang 24/7/365 or stick with my truck...and I just HAD to have a Pony.

Quiz / Lexington, KY
2010 Mustang GT Premium (Candy Red Metallic)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey Quiz - best of luck with the new pony - looks great. Its not just the snow i am worried about but also the heavy frezzing rain/sleet. Wondered how to get the best handling out of the car with the right tires and maybe some added weight in the trunk. What do you think.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Ah, not even my big F150 (4WD) was all that good on ice/freezing rain...With the Mustang, I will refrain from driving on ice unless it's absolutely necessary...yuck...I hate that crap.

I'm going to put a couple bags of kitty litter or ice melt or something in the back on each side, throw a shovel in there...and see what these stocker Pirellis do. I have heated leather seats, so at least my ass will be warm while I'm waiting on the wrecker. :hihi:

Quiz / Lexington, KY
2010 Mustang GT Premium (Candy Red Metallic)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009
MACH I Member
S197 Member

A friend up here drove all Winter with his stock Pirellis but he did have weight in the back. Never heard anything but good news on those Blizzaks. Actually, think the narrow tires are better for the snow, bite down to pavement rather than riding on top.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
Apprentice

I have Nokian hak5's, 225/60-17's on some msr wheels, one of the front wheels had a pin hole so still driving with the pirelli stockers on the front.

Traction on ice and snow, awesome, dragging bottom forwards or backwards, doesn't matter. Noisy you bet, but that is of no concern, also bit odd on the dry with the studs, it does not run on pavement as the hak5's do on my supercrew or the wife's flex, I/we can't even notice a difference of dry handing running 90-95mph with the studs, but the Mustang feels a bit strange. Might step into a studless for the car, maybe a 215/65-17, a hair taller, a hair skinnier. Skinnier tires do work better on road in the winter, much better than wider absolutely, better contact pressure, less plowing, and better odds to keep the whole tire width under the fender, less road cheese on the body/windows.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Yeah, I am hoping for no snow this season, but its getting cold and wishful thinking. Thanks for the info.
no problem man!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page