Do Sparkplugs and wires actually ad HP? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Do Sparkplugs and wires actually ad HP?

Do Sparkplugs and Sparkplug wires actually ad HP. If so what can one expect, 5-10?
Anyone want to suggest what one would be looking at for 07 GT.
Thanks in advance!

2007 GT/CS Convertible, Modifications: Dyno tuned. JLT CAI. 4.10 Gears. Edelbrock SC. Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs. Cerviniís Concept Hood c/w Custom Paint. Magnaflow Tur-X X Pipe and Magnaflow Axle Back's. Ruff Racing 20" Wheels, Nitto Invo 255 F, 295 R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
You don't have plug wires, you have what is called a coil-near-plug on each spark plug. Changing them won't improve a thing and will often cause more problems.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Unless you are running a highly modified set up - I wouldn't mess with any of the factory coils or plugs... not much upside for all of the headaches I hear about.

Modifications may dictate that you use a hotter or colder plug - but aside from that, I would leave it alone.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceFord View Post
Unless you are running a highly modified set up - I wouldn't mess with any of the factory coils or plugs... not much upside for all of the headaches I hear about.

Modifications may dictate that you use a hotter or colder plug - but aside from that, I would leave it alone.
+1 but i would also like to add a lot of 4.6 guys change their stock 2 piece plugs because they have been known to break off and get stuck inside the engine and need a $200 tool from Ford to get it out. Most solve this issue by replacing them with a 1 piece plug

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceFord View Post

There are plenty of guys running 600+ rwhp on the OEM COPs. They perform better than most aftermarket coils.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

+2 don't waist your money.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010
GT Member

+3

I suspect the people that get improvements are just picking the power they had lost with bad or worn out parts.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks guys, Iíll put that money towards something worthwhile.

2007 GT/CS Convertible, Modifications: Dyno tuned. JLT CAI. 4.10 Gears. Edelbrock SC. Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs. Cerviniís Concept Hood c/w Custom Paint. Magnaflow Tur-X X Pipe and Magnaflow Axle Back's. Ruff Racing 20" Wheels, Nitto Invo 255 F, 295 R.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I've seen better results from the addition of a "Jocko's Auto Parts" sticker... somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4 hp improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page