Going in the right direction - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Going in the right direction

Just installed the Gentex Model 455 autodim rearview mirror with compass in my 05. This is the optional mirror that Ford put in the stangs from 06 up I think....Got it on Feebay for $50.00. The dealers price is up around $300.
The hardest part was getting the old manual mirror off the windshield. It is attached to the plate on the windshield with a steel coller that clicks onto both sides of the plate. I used a jewelers small screwdrive to wedge under the coller in a gap on one side and was able to spread the coller enough to release one side. The mirror fell off after that. The new mirror slides onto the plate and clicks on. There are two wires, A power, swithched on and a ground. I used the same add a circuit from the smart power box in the passenger footwell that powers the gauges in the autometer pod on the dash. My dealer had a new part in stock and copied the directions for me so I was able to recalibrate the compass and also pick the number for the geographic region of the country I live in. You have to hold the button in the middle of the compass for 6 seconds which puts it in the calibrate mode and drive in a circle at less then 5 mph.
I now know which direction I am going and do not have to reach up and click the mirror at night. Thats dangerous at 300mph... GA

Oh yea, The wires from the mirror were routed along the top of the windshield. There is a gap where the forward edge of the headliner meets the top of the windshield and it is easy to push the wires into the gap. Then down the A piller behind the plastic cover and into the passenger footwell area. Cake......

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
This mirror compas has saved my butt a few times already. Just wish it had the temp. Oh yea.... lol

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Sounds easy enough but we gotta see those pictures!

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
PONY Member

Mine came with one also. Love having that compass sometimes. I kinda wish it was on the dashboard with a outside temp gauge like F-150's have. (Like they showed an optional cluster in my 2008 manual also)

07 Mustang GT Metallic Alloy.
FRPP CAI. SLP Loudmouths.
Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Sounds easy enough but we gotta see those pictures!

I know.....I was thinking about taking some....buts its just a mirror with a compass in the upper right hand corner...You have seen millions of em......I will take some though....G

05GT, 09 GT500 Drivetrain, 2.6 pulley, JLT intake, 18x9.5 GT500 wheels, 14" Brembos, 2014 rear brakes, 14 cooling fan, Cortex racing Koni Coilovers, Cortex Watts Link BMR:K-Member, Tube rad support, adj upper third link, rear relo brackets,JBA long tubes and catted mid pipe, Stillen adj front & rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, Steeda shifter, Spydershaft Aluminum DS.
John Lund tune, 568 rwhp, 560 tq.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page