Royal Purple Whats the Deal? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Foxx88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH08 View Post
Proves it one of the better things, but not "OMG DUDE I SHAVED A 1.5 OFF MY TIME WITH IT!" type stuff.
Who said Royal Purple gives you a better 1/4 mile time? Now that is just funny

"Everything one does in life, occurs in an express train racing toward death. Street racing is one of them"

"The ignore option is the greatest tool any forum can have. I'm surprised its not worn out as often as it is used by the wise"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

oh man, I didn't want to start an oil feud in here, was just curious about whether anyone had good or bad experiences with Royal Purple. I think I may be sticking to my Motorcraft here for quite some time.
I appreciate the detailed responses everyone sent as well as the videos. Even though, it seemed they were a little bias in the vid when the "leading synthetic" did not outperform the RP.

I too noticed the temp increase. strange....

"It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything" ~ Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCS09 View Post
oh man, I didn't want to start an oil feud in here, was just curious about whether anyone had good or bad experiences with Royal Purple. I think I may be sticking to my Motorcraft here for quite some time.
I appreciate the detailed responses everyone sent as well as the videos. Even though, it seemed they were a little bias in the vid when the "leading synthetic" did not outperform the RP.

I too noticed the temp increase. strange....
LOL, these threads always start feuds.
I have a 97 chevy S10 4 banger that I have use nothing but conventional oil in. Still going strong and no oil burning at 101K.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

I have an F150 with the dreaded piston slap. Changed over to Mobil 1 and greatly reduced the audible "slap". Cut the Mobil 1 with a quart of RP and noise is almost completely gone.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I've been using Mobil 1 for years in 3 different cars and trucks and it works great.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
GT Member
5.0L Member

And here I thought Castrol was so great. I am currently running the Castrol Edge in my wifes 07. Looks like I will be changing brands.

1995 GT Mustang
Mildly built 5.0, Rebuilt T5 Tran., Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, 3.73 Gears, 17" Cobra R rims, Cobra R hood.............
PONY Member
S197 Member

Interesting, I run 5w20 Motorcraft semi-syn. in my two 07s, F350 and Taurus, straight 30W Havoline and Rislone in the Cobra, Cougar and Boss, Royal P. in both JR. dragsters. I almost believe you could run any oil, if you let the engine warm up before abusing it and change it often enough. Pick an oil that works and stay with that oil. Remember, did it come apart because of the oil or something else that failed ...... :?:

07 GT/CS vert, wife's car, garage queen. sold 11-30-13, going to good home, 7,785 miles.
2013 GT PREM., 500 pckg, needs mufflers...
07 GT/CS, son's car.
1971 Boss 351, mine since 1979.
68 Cougar, my first car, interviewed on Pinks All Out Takes, STL 2008, 10.40's @ 130, 399 Windsor
Son's S/C dragster, SBF 7.92 @ 165 so far......
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 CALI View Post
in my two 07s, F350 and Taurus, straight 30W Havoline and Rislone in the Cobra, Cougar and Boss, Royal P. in both JR. dragsters. :?:
Didn't know anyone still used straight weight in cars they cared about.

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Lots of street miles, a ton of passes down the track, I've never lost an engine due to oil failure, like a spun bearing, cam/lifters, sludged engine. The first 351W in the Cougar went 246K miles on the street, then I rebuilt it for strip. They polished the crank and I put std. bearings back in it. It finally broke a rod in the 8th season, at a Mobile 1 World Ford Challenge, no rebuilds. Old school, I know,

07 GT/CS vert, wife's car, garage queen. sold 11-30-13, going to good home, 7,785 miles.
07 GT/CS, son's car.
68 Cougar, my first car, interviewed on Pinks All Out Takes, STL 2008, 10.40's @ 130, 399 Windsor
PONY Member
S197 Member

One more comment and I'll be quiet, for now. I use to run other oils in the JR. dragsters and change every pass due to alcohol contamination. They run real fat due to fuel system restrictions and load the engine with fuel, fresh engine or not. With the Royal Purple, we only change the oil at the end of each day, 2 passes or 10.

07 GT/CS, son's car.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
If you want a real good high priced full syn, go with Amsoil! It ain't cheap but it is good!

1965 Mustang Coupe
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCS09 View Post
Good morning everyone. I have a quick question. I have been hearing lots of talk about people switching their oil to Royal Purple, and I am curious about it? Is it a synthetic? What's so special about it? Does it live up to the hype? Do you Mustang veterans use or recommend it?
There's an interesting oil forum that you might want to check out. It's called "Bob is the oil guy"
MACH I Member

Garage
The purple color of the oil is good for an additional 5 hp.....I hear

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
GT Member
S197 Member

Seems everyone is looking for some kind of magic in motor oil that will give them a boost in power. Truth is, especially in a daily driver, you won't notice anything. Any of the name brand synthetics will work fine as long as you change it when it needs to be. Any increase in power is so small even over a good dino oil. In a racing environment, that's a different story. A couple years ago where I was working, we tested a bunch of different formulations on race only stuff. FWIW the best power wise was Gibbs oil.

07 GT premium in Grabber Orange. 5spd. manual w/ a few bolt-ons.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbigmac View Post
There's an interesting oil forum that you might want to check out. It's called "Bob is the oil guy"
He does have a lot of good info on that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard07 View Post
Seems everyone is looking for some kind of magic in motor oil that will give them a boost in power. Truth is, especially in a daily driver, you won't notice anything. Any of the name brand synthetics will work fine as long as you change it when it needs to be. Any increase in power is so small even over a good dino oil. In a racing environment, that's a different story. A couple years ago where I was working, we tested a bunch of different formulations on race only stuff. FWIW the best power wise was Gibbs oil.
Gibbs oil?? Not familiar with it.

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page