Royal Purple Whats the Deal? - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Royal Purple Whats the Deal?

Good morning everyone. I have a quick question. I have been hearing lots of talk about people switching their oil to Royal Purple, and I am curious about it? Is it a synthetic? What's so special about it? Does it live up to the hype? Do you Mustang veterans use or recommend it?

"It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything" ~ Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Overpriced and overhyped.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

stlwagon

your posts are usually right on, so I am taking that to heart. Is it really all just hype? Should I just stick with my Motorcraft?

"It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything" ~ Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFire07GT
VERY OVERPRICED!!! Get a good Synthetic Oil. Motocraft is good for our cars. I use that or Mobile-1 or Aimsoil.

Royal Purple is jsut like Mark said above, Overhyped.

SCTx3Custom-Tune by JJ at Woodbine MotorSports, All Motor 375RWHP/350Tourqe.

Best ET 1/4mile-11.875 at 116.03 60ft-1.646
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

There have been some independent studies that show that RP claims are inflated and the oil is really no better than any other synthetic. But... It is purple! I run plain old Motorcraft blend.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Redfire

once I go to synthetic I cant ever go back to dino right? So far I have been taking it to the Ford Dealership where I bought the car, and having them do the Motorcraft changes. I am able to do it myself, but like the convenience of the dealer doing it.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

I also use the Motorcraft Semi-synth blend. Once in awhile I use the Motorcraft full synth.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
PONY Member

I heard a mechanic say that on newer cars it doesn't hurt it if you swap from a synth-blend to a full synth and back again. Even with that said i still won't do it.

I'm also using motocraft synthetic blend.

07 Mustang GT Metallic Alloy.
FRPP CAI. SLP Loudmouths.
Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

I've gone back and forth from synthetic to blend a couple of times.

1965 Mustang Coupe
PONY Member

Send a message via AIM to SoCalFiveO Send a message via MSN to SoCalFiveO Send a message via Yahoo to SoCalFiveO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
There have been some independent studies that show that RP claims are inflated and the oil is really no better than any other synthetic. But... It is purple! I run plain old Motorcraft blend.
i work at a Ford dealer and synthetic is def the best way to go. thats all ive ever used in my mustang and my roommate uses it for his f-150 and loves it

1990 Mustang GT,Mac Longtubes,Mac O/R H-pipe,Flo Master super44's Pro Dumps,Cold Air intake,Polished upper intake,King Cobra Clutch:happydancer:
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Foxx88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCS09
Is it a synthetic? Does it live up to the hype? Do you Mustang veterans use or recommend it?
Yes, Yes, and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCS09
What's so special about it?
YouTube - Royal Purple Synthetic Oil Explained V8TV

YouTube - Increasing Performance with an Oil Change

"Everything one does in life, occurs in an express train racing toward death. Street racing is one of them"

"The ignore option is the greatest tool any forum can have. I'm surprised its not worn out as often as it is used by the wise"
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx88 View Post

What oil did they use exactly to compare?
Did anyone else notice the rather LARGE temp increase with Royal purple? Temps stayed below 100 with the "other oil" As soon as royal purple was added it jumped. It rapidly increased to well over 112 with royal purple.

In the second video... Exactly how long was it since the previous oil change? Promotional videos are great. Every company has one.

Roush Front Bumper w/ chin spoiler, Roush Hood scoop, Scott Drake Hood pins, Roush 1/4 window louvers, Billet fuel door.
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

If you are going to change your oil at recommended intervals then the Motorcraft semi-syn is fine....I use it in my Scion xD.:kooky:

But on a forced induction motor or one that you are not worried about arguing over warranty concerns, use a full syn....I use Amsoil in my F150 [130,000 mi], Ranger [supercharged 5.0] and HHR-SS [turbocharged and 3500mi].

Royal Purple and Redline are mostly hype...proven by the advertising dollars [see above videos] and lack of following in the industry. They are not a bad choice of oil, just better for the same money....Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
GT Member

Send a message via AIM to Foxx88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH08 View Post
What oil did they use exactly to compare?
"A well known high quality synthetic oil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH08
In the second video... Exactly how long was it since the previous oil change? Promotional videos are great. Every company has one.
I agree promotional videos are great

YouTube - Engine Oil Dyno Shootout HSV

Dynos don't lie

"Everything one does in life, occurs in an express train racing toward death. Street racing is one of them"

"The ignore option is the greatest tool any forum can have. I'm surprised its not worn out as often as it is used by the wise"
PONY Member

Now that video i like.

Does show its pretty much just hype. Proves it one of the better things, but not "OMG DUDE I SHAVED A 1.5 OFF MY TIME WITH IT!" type stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page