Possible fuel pump or TPS issues? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

Possible fuel pump or TPS issues?

I went to start my car at work last week to drive home and something happen that has never happened before or since. When the car started it ran a little rough and the idle oscillated between 900 and 1200 rpm @ cold start up. I drove the car away and it sounded a little off but had good but not great throttle response. I got to the end of the block and pulled over (because I didn't want this thing to quite in the middle of traffic. I didn't want to be that guy) open the hood and everything looked good but still sounded a little off. If you have ever tuned carb idle mixture by ear, it sounded like a carb with way rich idle mixture. Anyway as I was looking to make sure everything was hooked up and no connections were lose, I heard a "click" noise and it started running perfectly.

I just wondering what this could be before it completely breaks down and leaves me stranded. (no codes tripped).

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

i'm guessing you started it and took off right away?..... without letting it warm up first?

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
how cold is it there in canada? i think the engine was just revving high to warm itself up a little extra is all. When you go from "P" or "N" to "D" the revs will drop a few hundred so naturally the engine won't produce as much heat.

It couldn't hurt however to clean the TB and the MAF sensor

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

what are you talking about heat for? i think its a comon rule of thumb that a cold engine will be cold on start-up :hihi:, are your reffering to cold idle?

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

I let it warm up for about 2 minutes as it was about +10 degrees Celsius ( about 50 degrees F) which is not any differently than the way I have been doing it for the last five years. This is a manual transmission car and I'm familiar with the fact that it will high idle when cold for a couple of minutes before settling down to normal idle. What I'm wondering about is what would make the idle bounce from 900 to 1200 rpm uncontrollably (By the way, the A/C compressor was not causing this as it was turned off) and running roughly before clearing up on it's own.

I think your right Hotshot, my first plan of attack will be to clean the TB and MAF, as its been about 1 year since I did it last.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
I let it warm up for about 2 minutes as it was about +10 degrees Celsius ( about 50 degrees F) which is not any differently than the way I have been doing it for the last five years. This is a manual transmission car and I'm familiar with the fact that it will high idle when cold for a couple of minutes before settling down to normal idle. What I'm wondering about is what would make the idle bounce from 900 to 1200 rpm uncontrollably (By the way, the A/C compressor was not causing this as it was turned off) and running roughly before clearing up on it's own.

I think your right Hotshot, my first plan of attack will be to clean the TB and MAF, as its been about 1 year since I did it last.

at 50 you shouldn't have any issues with the cold air, i agree with cleaning the tb & maf, do you have a cai? what year and how many miles on her?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

It's a 2005 GT (a little lass than 50.000 miles) with a C&L CAI and a brenspeed tune. I love the tune and its been in the car for about three years now, so I don't think the tune is the problem. Having said that, Perhaps it might be an to reload the tune to just refresh everything.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Try cleaning with some MAF cleaner the maf and the tb.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Was the defroster turned on? If so, then the A/C compressor was running as it automatically turns on in the defroster mode. And that would possibly explain the erratic idle rpm, and the clicking noise(A/C turning off).
Apprentice

Had you disconnected the battery? If so, fluctuating idle rpm is normal until it relearns fuel trims.

2006 GT
SALEEN BRENSPEED FRPP POWERHOUSE HURST SCT QTP CDC CHE M&H INNOVATE AEROFORCE AUTOMETER
7.36 @ 99mph
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member

No defroster and I had disconnected the battery, but it was some time ago (6 months ago).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page