Illegal Blackout Taillights in the State of GA - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Illegal Blackout Taillights in the State of GA

WOW! so i ordered the xenon tailight blackout and trunk deck lid pieces a few days ago and i found out today that those kind of aftermarket parts are illegal in Georgia.
However there is a loop hole. if the parts are from the factory (ford oem) then it is alright to have. the question is should i return the covers or get little "ford oem" stickers on them to persuade officers that i bought them from the dealership?

i also heard that if they are removable most officers will let me take them off if i were to get pulled over.

i just thought id share it for those of you who live in GA
is there any other body part laws i should know about in GA? or in any state at all?

2007 Satin Silver Mustang
4,009 cc 4 liters V6 engine with 100.4 mm bore,84.4 mm stroke,9.7 compression ratio,overhead cam,Multi-point injection system,157 kW,210 HP SAE @ 5,300 rpm;240 ft lb,325 Nm @ 3,500 rpm,Immobilizer,Strut front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs, beam suspension rigid with coil springs
In other words, All Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
Rookie
V6 Member

i believe those are illegal EVERYWHERE, cops just dont really care. I have had blackouts on my corvette for two years and only got pulled over once and it was because i had a smoked cover on my license plate, didnt even mention the taillights, cop just had me take it off and go on my merry way home.

Current - 2008 "widebooty" Corvette
Past: 01 Heads/Cam Corvette Z06, 95 Supra TT BPU+++ , 99 Mustang V6
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Let me look of the GA MVC (Motor vehicle code) and see if I can find the part about tail lights. I know in MI the code allows for them as long as they can be seen illuminated in the day from something like 500 feet, and when not illuminated they have to look like break lights or something.

Now I'm no lawyer, so I'll just be giving an opinion, real lawyers might be able to give you a better understanding and I hope of the few that frequent these forums one or more reads this thread.

SHO
GT500 Front End Swap, Monster H1 Deep Draw Hood, Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Coyote Tail Lights, 2010 Interior Door Panals, 2012 Sun Visors w/ Illuminated Mirrors and Homelink
GO
Coming Soon!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ok, the GAMVC is title 40, but your going to want to draw your attention to chapter 8 part 2, . This is the tail light law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40-8-23
(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.

(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.

(d) Either a taillight or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillight or taillights, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted.

(e) All lenses on taillights shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.
Now, to me it looks like line (e) is whats going to get you in trouble. But if you were to replace the tail lights with something from a manufacturer other then ford where the lights are already blacked out you would be ok. Also I'm only assuming line (e) extends to light covers, where as the GA MVC has a specfic prohibitation against headlight covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40-8-22
(a) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four headlights, with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlights shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

(b) Every motorcycle and every motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlights, which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.

(c) Every headlight upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlight of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.

(d) The headlights required by this Code section shall be maintained in proper working condition and shall not be covered by any type of material, provided that the covering restriction shall not apply to any vehicle on which the original factory headlights were covered.

(e) It shall be unlawful to operate a motor vehicle unless such motor vehicle is equipped with aiming pads on each headlight.
Now, with both laws, the 'loop hole' I would use if I lived in GA would be installing a second set of headlight and tail lights, ones that meet the laws requirements but also are less noticeable on you car. Like the tail lights could be mounted to a license plate frame or something.

SHO
GT500 Front End Swap, Monster H1 Deep Draw Hood, Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Coyote Tail Lights, 2010 Interior Door Panals, 2012 Sun Visors w/ Illuminated Mirrors and Homelink
GO
Coming Soon!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for looking that up!
yeah i agree too, i have had a smoked liscense plate cover for a year and a half and got pulled over twice, and nothing about the cover. so ill just play it by ear and put them on, also alot of cars in my area have them so i dont think it will be a big concern.

the only way it may affect me if i get pulled over by an angry cop and he tries to write out as many tickets as possible.

2007 Satin Silver Mustang
4,009 cc 4 liters V6 engine with 100.4 mm bore,84.4 mm stroke,9.7 compression ratio,overhead cam,Multi-point injection system,157 kW,210 HP SAE @ 5,300 rpm;240 ft lb,325 Nm @ 3,500 rpm,Immobilizer,Strut front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs, beam suspension rigid with coil springs
In other words, All Stock
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to RetroGT2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post
i believe those are illegal EVERYWHERE, cops just dont really care. I have had blackouts on my corvette for two years and only got pulled over once and it was because i had a smoked cover on my license plate, didnt even mention the taillights, cop just had me take it off and go on my merry way home.
I couldn't have said it better. Plus my buddy from highschool moved after we graduated years back and he kept his on the car and never got hassled.

Daily Driver: 2006 Honda CBR600rr
Weekend Warrior: 2006 Mustang GT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

for michigan its interesting. They are not specifically prohibited. But our headlights when on must be at least 350 candlelight power and produce white light. So if you can get your lights to look bright enough and look the right color here the covers are legal at night, and they are always legal in the day. And our tail lights must be red and viewable at night from 500 feet away and during the day out stop light (the 3rd brake light counts) must be viewable while off from 500 feet. So in michigan blacked out tail lights are very much legal assuming they are still bright enough.

SHO
GO
Coming Soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page