PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbymoon2 View Post
The 2011 GT is a 302, (5.0)
actually a 302 is technically a 4.9. a 306 is a 5.0

2010 Performance White Mustang GT
FRRP Hot Rod Cams, CAI+Tune, longtube headers, Steeda intake delete plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel, SLP LM, 3.73 gears, hurst short throw, steeda LCA, Steeda sport springs, gt500 struts, Powerslot rotors, and a bunch of appearance mods
324rwhp 308tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jre8806 Send a message via Skype™ to jre8806
um, where u getting this info at? everywhere im lookign at 302 is a 5.0. and even if it is, what ford did was basically beef up and stroke the 4.6 motor that we have, and added a more comforting interior and cosmetics to attract people. Not a bad vehcile to sell to people these days. Seeing the real data these re throwing down, I'd still rather have a 05-09 IMO. In todays world theres just more to a car than just the motor, Granted the new ones got the better motor, but I think we got the better car. Just my two cents though. Not hating on it.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
PONY Member

I drove an '11 base GT this morning, pretty much basic car with few options. It did not have the sticker so do not know all the details. I was definitely impressed with the motor and the manual trans. The motor was much stronger than my '05 (to be expected) and the tranny was very smooth, had no problem with the skip-shift. I actually forgot that it had that, never kicked in. I am pretty sure it had the 331 rear but cannot verify for sure.
I thought the clutch was a little lighter than the '05 but take up was smooth and easy to modulate. The car was quieter than the '05 and the handling was good. Unfortunately due to heavy traffic in the area I could not really get into it except for very brief moments.
Overall I was impressed by the car and just reinforced to me that I made the right decision to move to the 5.0 in the newer body. I must have been impressed because the GM mentioned that he had not seen a smile on my face
in a long time !

I just wish the damn thing would get here so I can really wring it out. I will not beat on a car that is not mine, not even my son's Saleen powered '06. In thinking, the new 5.0 feels almost as good as his, not quite, but close, very close. I just had his out last night to a cruise night in CT so the feeling of the car is recent. I will be happy with my n/a 5.0 as I think everyone will be.

2011 GT Premium, Sterling gray/ black interior,
400A, HIDs, security , comfort
louvers, scoops, rear cover,MRT struts
19" nickel lustre wheels, GT500 mufflers
3.73, 6 sp manual, CDC Classic chin, smoked corners

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

ACTUALLY, the old "5.0" Windsor 302 is 4942cc, or 4.9 litres, and the new motor is 4951cc, or 5.0 litres, if you properly round it out. The old "5.0" had 301.58 cubic inches of displacement, and the new "5.0" has 302.13 cubic inches of displacement. Other than the "5.0" moniker, there is NOTHING the same about these engines (except perhaps the number of cylinders.) The Windsor 302 is a push rod engine, and this is a dual overhead cam 4 valve engine. The technology differences are staggering, and it is evident in the fact that you can get over 400 bhp out of this new engine on 85 octane pump gas and still have something that idles perfectly smooth and will run well over 100k miles without any issues at all. To get the 302 to a naturally aspirated 400bhp took a massive cam, some crazy heads, and usually needed race gas to keep from pinging.

People don't buy new cars to experience what it was like to drive a car that was built 30 or 40 years ago, they buy a new car to get all the comfort, technology, and reliability of a new car. The "retro" styling is the flavor that satisfies most buyers need for owning an "old school" hot rod. Those who want the feel of a poorly built car with a moderate amount of power and questionable reliability should be looking at the real thing. You want something in between? Buy an old mustang and put a modern drivetrain in it.

Bottom line, if one car model fit everyone, there would only be one car model for sale. That being said, thank you for posting your opinion of the new 2011. This is exactly what forums like this are for - to get a variety of opinions and advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page