Concerns about Cams and headers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Concerns about Cams and headers

I'm seriously thinking about adding FRPP hot rod cams and Pypes long tube headers with an OR midpipe to my car. Opening the exhaust and getting that old-school Muscle car sound is one of the biggest reasons I bought my mustang in the first place!

I'm probably being over-concerned about this but here goes, My stang is a 2005 with around 35,000 miles. It's been meticulously cared for and had full synthetic oil changed every 3-5000 miles. I've had zero issues minus a faulty belt tensioner pulley that was replaced about 20k miles ago. I still have the stock 5r55s Auto trans. I know the Pypes headers will fit an auto stang. That's why I'm looking at them. However, doing this mod will certainly void the engine portion of the extended warranty I have on my car. Should I be worried about any excessive stress caused by the cams and headers on my engine or trans? The only other mods I have is CAI, SLP loudmouths, and a Bamachips tune. I plan on getting an updated tune from bama. I do daily drive this car in the Summer and I certainly don't want to do anything that will severely limit the car's life.

I'm probably being overly cautious, but any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
The cams are not that aggressive that you should be worried about your motor. I'd be more worried about the install. Alot of the installs I see people taking shortcuts and end up with problems. If it's done right, you won't have any issues.

If they play, I spray.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010
KDT
GT Member

You might want to check out the new Detroit Rocker cam that Brenspeed just introduced. It sounds great, and Brenspeed claims it actually will give you some horsepower and it doesnt have the driveability issues that some incur with the HR cams. If I wanted a good sounding cam without issues, I would have to consider this one. Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Naturally Aspirated Mustang GT 2005-2010 *Brenspeed Favorite*

2008 Vapor Silver GT, 5 Spd Manual Brenspeed Stg 1 Edelbrock E Force, Liberty built 3650 trans w/26 spline input shaft, N2MB WOT Box, GT 500 Fuel System, Kooks Long Tubes, Dynotech Drive Shaft, 3:73 Gears, Steeda UCA & LCAs, BMR LCA Relocation Brackets, Exedy Mach 500 clutch, Nitto Drag Radials

"RWHP - enough to get from 0-95mph in 7.61 seconds"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDT View Post
You might want to check out the new Detroit Rocker cam that Brenspeed just introduced. It sounds great, and Brenspeed claims it actually will give you some horsepower and it doesnt have the driveability issues that some incur with the HR cams. If I wanted a good sounding cam without issues, I would have to consider this one. Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Naturally Aspirated Mustang GT 2005-2010 *Brenspeed Favorite*
+1 if you just want the sound go with frpps since they are a fashion cam which is just for sound and very minimal power gain, but if your looking for more horsepower go with brenspeeds Detroit rocker.

2008 Vapor Silver Mustang GT

JLTSCTSLPBMRMagnaflowEibach
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TheKurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGT View Post
+1 if you just want the sound go with frpps since they are a fashion cam which is just for sound and very minimal power gain, but if your looking for more horsepower go with brenspeeds Detroit rocker.
Oh yeah that makes perfect sense. FRPP cams have been out for 2 years and most people are making 30+ HP as opposed to the Detroit Rocker cams which I've not seen one single dyno on yet or any reports of driveability...Actually not much at all except hot air. Just my .02.

If they play, I spray.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010
Apprentice
S197 Member

This whole thing about hotrods not making any power is getting a little ridiculous really. They do make power if you get a good tune and you provide the supporting mods cams need to maximize performance. Specs have obviously been kept on the downlow for the Rockers, but I suspect they are nearly identical to the hotrods in the numbers. Brenspeed is really hyping them up to support their business but I think in reality, the performance is similar with either of them. The drivability stigma with hotrods is not credible either. This constantly regurgitated item is because for a long time, hardly anyone knew how to tune them properly. The good tuners now know how to get them dialed in so this is a non-issue unless you cut corners on who you get to do the tune. I got mine dyno tuned at Brenspeed and it drives EASIER now than it did stock thanks to the improved throttle response. Get either of the cams mentioned and you'll be happy.

FRPP hotrod cams, Steeda CMDP's, screaming yellow JLT CAI w/SCT tuner, screaming yellow Steeda powdercoated valve covers, FRPP 4.10's, Pypes LT w/hi-flow catted H, BMR LCA's, BMR strut tower brace, Mac axlebacks, Brenspeed dyno tune/shorty antenna/black 18x9.5 CS56 wheels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Too LATE!

I ordered the set of Pypes LT Headers with the Shorty OR X-pipe and the FRPP Cams today!. They already shipped from American Muscle. Love those guys....
And I've got a free tune on its way from Bamachips so I'll be ready when I slap em on!

Can't wait.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazgrizFX9 View Post
However, doing this mod will certainly void the engine portion of the extended warranty I have on my car. Should I be worried about any excessive stress caused by the cams and headers on my engine or trans? The only other mods I have is CAI, SLP loudmouths, and a Bamachips tune.
If you are worried about your Warranty, too late....atleast according to my Ford Dealer where I bought my 2008 anyway....when I first got the car, I inquired about adding a CAI and Mufflers to the car and how that would effect the 7 year, 77,000 Mile ($1500) extended warranty I had purchased and I was told that adding the cold air intake on my car as well as my Flowmaster 40 series mufflers that I wanted would instantly void my warranty....which I feel is some serious BS. sooo, I took that info into consideration...and did it anyway lol...and i guess if my warranty is voided, i have no reason to hold back on any other mods I want now like the SCT Tune I just put on my car from BAMA or like my 4.10 gears I'll be having installed in the next few weeks lol....and I have to say, the Computer tune on your car, the instant you downloaded it, also voided your warranty (but that one can be fixed by changing it back to stock before any dealer work)...goodluck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The FRRP cams are very easy to deal with daily driving i love them...and I'll let you know specifically ho much hp they add in a few weeks. They add virtually no power WITHOUT a tune as any cam would WITHOUT a tune. however with proper supporting mods and WITH a tune they add a decent gain while staying reliable.

2008 Mustang GT
Vapor with Silver stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page