First time at the dragstrip-what a blast!!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

First time at the dragstrip-what a blast!!!!

Well I went to the dragstrip last night. First off, what a blast!! First time I have taken the Mustang and first time I have raced since about 1980. First run I forget to turn off the traction control and when I go to do my burnout.....it stalls. Well needless to say I was embarrassed so I just went up to the line and ran. Still spun big time which I don't get. I spun all the way through first gear, shifted and still spun all the way through second gear and finally grabbed in third. I ran a 14.35 at 103mph. I get back to the pits and then realized I forgot to turn off the traction control. So...I go back in line and just keep telling myself "turn off the traction control". I do a good burnout, get staged, look down again for the traction control and then what RPM's I am at, look up and the tree is already green. ****!! I get a little better launch and run a 13.74 @ 104. Ok, that is getting better. I do one more run. Better launch but still spinning once I shift into second. Run a 13.69 @ 106. I take it to the pits to cool down. I am pretty happy with the progress so far. I let it cool for about 30 or 40 minutes. I am in the staging lanes now and the starter comes over to my car. I am thinking oh crap, am I leaking something or what? I roll down my window and he says "you know, the fastest you can run is 13.99 without a rollbar"? I am like, WHAT!!! He says go ahead and run it but let out at the end. I have a vert. Well that sure brought the fun out of it. So I practice on my launch and hitting second gear, run through third and then shut it down each time. One time I get a really good launch and second only spins a little. I feel real good about this one and go through third. I know I am going a little too fast so I even hit my brakes at the end before I go through the traps. I get my time slip, 13.72 @ 84 mph. Now I am concerned. I park in the pits and let it cool. I get back in the staging lanes, get up to the starter, and sure enough, here he comes again. I roll down my window and he says "you are really going to have to think about getting a rollbar before you come back". I tell him I will and he still lets me race! I figure what the hell, let's make this the last run. I get a good launch but it starts to spin like hell in second (and I am granny shifting) so I let out and get back into it. I run it hard all the way through. I get my time slip and ran a 13.53 @ 105.8. I park it and start to get ready to go home.

I know it will run a lot better. With a little better tire and more refinement of my launch and second gear shift, I can do much better.

Best time is above. Best reaction time was .0256 which I was really happy about. Best 60 ft was 2.09 with a lot of room for improvement.

So....now I just have to figure out if I want a rollbar or not. I really love the racing part and would like to continue but I also don't want to ruin the looks of my car with a rollbar. If I had a hardtop I wouldn't care 'cause you don't really see the bar anyway but with a vert, different story.

We'll see. Sorry about the long story.

'04 Cobra vert Mystichrome
'92 Mustang LX most mods plus Vortech V1
'12 Mustang GT Perm Coupe PW 401A 6mt, elect pack 3.73 (sold)
'06 Mustang GT Prem vert Redfire 5MT 333 rwhp 323 rwtq (sold)
'69 Mustang Fastback first car I owned and all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

sounds like a blast, and some good times too. ive been waiting for 6 weekends to get some dry weather so i can hit a track for the first time with my 6. this fri might be it, for my first test and tune. what track did you go to? ive fished portage( i`m from the area) sounds like a tough decision on the roll cage

05 V6 auto,
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member

Love the story. And there is a roll bar that bolts in with pins that you can get for your ride. Just put it in and go race.

YES IT WILL BE FAST AND HELL NO YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT !!!!:laughlitt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Here is a link to one of my runs. You will see my brake lights come on before the traps and I still ran a 13.7 but only at 84 mph. lol

http://www.youtube.com/v/aBzFHA20aD4..._US&fs=1&rel=0

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amustangrocks View Post
sounds like a blast, and some good times too. ive been waiting for 6 weekends to get some dry weather so i can hit a track for the first time with my 6. this fri might be it, for my first test and tune. what track did you go to? ive fished portage( i`m from the area) sounds like a tough decision on the roll cage
It was a blast!! I went to the old Martin Dragway now called US 131 Motorsport Park I believe. Still Martin to me. I just called the dragstrip because I thought the cut off was 13.49 and sure enough, it is. The guy at the starer area didn't even know what he was talking about. Ruined some of my fun. I know it will go faster than 13.49 though so I still have the same dilemma with the rollbar.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykor View Post
Love the story. And there is a roll bar that bolts in with pins that you can get for your ride. Just put it in and go race.
Thanks. Are you talking about the Steeda one? The one I saw was a four point and with IHRA rules, it has to be a six point one if you run between 11.00 and 13.49 in a vert. Man, I just don't know what I want to do. I am not going to race that much but it sure is a ball and I won't be able to see what any further mods will do to my 1/4 mile times.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
GT Member

Nice runs! You almost got kicked outta there for being too quick. Thats awesome. You need to go back again cause you should be able to hit low 12s. And usually you will only get better. Add some sticky tires and your mid 12s.

2005 Ford Mustang GT Torch Red Manual
Saleen Super Shaker 3.4 pulley/Brenspeed Tune
Kooks Longtubes Catted H/FRPP Stingers
Full BMR And Steeda Suspension
FRPP Throttlebody
Dynotech Driveshaft
SOLD!! I have no Mustang at this time!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010
Apprentice
V6 Member

Mine are 6 point that bolt down in 4 point in the back and the door bars and the cross bar pin in. With the help of my wife i can unbolt and remove it in about 20 min. I dont like them but NHRA says you have to have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040090.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	99326  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Does the main hoop stay in but the other bars come out or does the entire roll bar come out? That is what I am looking for, something that comes out. Have you ever had any tech guys at the strip say anything about the fact that it can come out? Also, where did you have it done or buy it? Thanks

Apprentice
V6 Member

You can take the door bars and the harness mount bar with just a pull of a pin. The 4 point you have to unbolt. But I welded the heads of the bolts on the bottom of the car, so all i have to do is take off the nut on top and remove the main roll bar. But your's would be faster because u can put the top down and pull it out. Never had this car at the track but plan to real soon after i put all the mod to get it to hook up, But i did talk to the guy thats raced it before i got it, he says its fine thay just shake it to make sure it's not loss. And he got it for around 600 bucks at maximummotorsports.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page