Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fess up,...are you a bully when driving your Mustang?

4K views 55 replies 39 participants last post by  Allentown 
#1 ·
I must confess, I am, well......sometimes for sure.

Now, "bully" may be a strong word, but I do feel emboldened when driving my black GT. Now, do I cut people off, or drive like a moron? No! (well, almost never)

However, I do find myself formulating a "pecking order", if you will to everyone around me. For instance: if a Mom in a minivan swerves around me in traffic, it is likely that if given the chance, I will purposely blow by her, trumpeting the roar of the GT, and in my mind setting the pecking order straight again. In other words, I spank her *** back into the reality that she is driving a bread box on wheels, not a Ferrari. The same holds for any/all cars trucks that I feel step out of line. Chevy p/u's being the most common offenders. (well, offenders in my obviously twisted world...lol) I have lost count of how many of those guys I have trounced just to humble them back into the reality that despite the Nascar stickers, and big #8 on the back window, it's a Chevy Silverado w/ a toolbox, not a GT-500!!

I was just wondering if anyone else feels, hell....enjoys this rather twisted aspect of owning a Mustang? I must add, I afford the same level of respect to cars I feel are equal to the Stang in stature, or just bad-assedness. It's a very short list I assure you. (BMW 3-series need not apply!) Yesterday, had a guy in a V6 Accord working real hard to bully me. Needless to say....he was humbled. Now, this does not happen every day on my 25mi (one way) commute in and out of DC (land of the worst drivers in America, I must add), but it does happen fairly often, and dare I say....for me, it's part of the overall experience. Hell, it is one of the reasons I bought the car, and have owned 5 Mustangs. I am a nice guy, and NOT a bully, but on the road, I like to be top of the food chain. :happydancer: (I always thought the Mustang sounds alot like a Lion's roar too.....King of the Jungle)

Agree? Am I in need of therapy? Are we all? ...lol

See less See more
#2 ·
I had not thought of the pecking order thing. But thinking back to yesterdays drive. Climbing a long mountain 6% grade in 5th at the speed limit of 65. So this new Prius rolls on by at about 70. I let it go a ways then think I need to show this dude something. So a brisk down shift into 3rd and floor it. Noticed the Prius shrinking in the review for a while then went back into my cruising mode. Order had been restored. LOL.

#6 ·
Totally Correct!!

I had not thought of the pecking order thing. But thinking back to yesterdays drive. Climbing a long mountain 6% grade in 5th at the speed limit of 65. So this new Prius rolls on by at about 70. I let it go a ways then think I need to show this dude something. So a brisk down shift into 3rd and floor it. Noticed the Prius shrinking in the review for a while then went back into my cruising mode. Order had been restored. LOL.
I absolutley do the SAME EXACt thing as you on a daily basis, the only time I don't if it is wet, then I just write down plate numbers so I can tap that ass when the sun comes back up. I rarely have a mustang pull up next to me, I will have to weave in and out of traffic , and 9 out of 10 times they NEVER want to race. Back to bullying...I am a professor in my car, on the road lessons are learned each and every day, the only thing is....there is always a "mystery' bully lurking...I only found that out once when a BMW M6 flew by me after I destroyed a charger....I was at his back wheel the whole time, and his car was 70,000 more!!! It's not really bullying, more like inslaving....there is not a damn thing another car can do if I want to pass them, that is a holy feeling....keep stangin!!!:smoke:

#3 ·
Nope, I just cruise along move around traffic when it's feasible and advantageous.

On my ride home from work there are bottlenecks that I may become a little more aggressive to be sure I get in position to make a light or avoid a lane that jams regularly.

But mostly I just cruise along, enjoying the ride. :)

#4 ·
Nope. I drive it like I would any other car.

#5 ·
Southern California has all sorts of people like that .... mad moms in mini vans, tiny chicks in raised trucks, work trucks with 10 dudes in there, beat up ricer cars with their taillights and mufflers hanging for its life .. about to fly off and hit your windshield. All thinking they're in a damn grand prix or something!! :laugh:

So .. i just do what is needed .. I put them in their place :banana:

#7 ·
The way I see it - driving a Mustang should be like knowing karate...you don't go around picking fights, but if someone tests your meddle, you can do what needs to be done.

'Walk softly and carry a big stick' so to speak.

#8 · (Edited)
well put

That was a great analogy. here is another analogy. "Driving a stang is like being the heavy weight champ of the world, you can knock anyone out whenever you want, but sometimes you just have to knock someone out for no reason what so ever." This is pretty mean, there was an old station wagon that was choking me from it's old rusty fumes, with a teenager driving it, I pulled up to the right of it (he was going 30 mph over the speed limit) I looked at him with shame, down shifted to second gear, and cherped by him like a lightning strike. We ended up on the same red light, since there was another mustang going the opposite way stuck on that red, I had to peel the tires and give him a little sideways action...poor kid will have nighmares for life.:laughlitt

#9 ·
:smartass: So eliquately put :smartass:
I feel the same way, even though I have a 4.0.
I don't feel that I am faster than you, I just drive like I have a purpose in life.:naughty and always....Keep Right Except 2 Pass :bigthumbsup

#10 ·
Eazzy 1, I LOVE the "professor" analogy! I only used the word "bully", because I am sure it is perceived that way by others. yes, I am always evaluating, calculating every inch of my travel.

You guys would laugh, but tis true, for YEARS now, I run into the same two morons on my way into work, which is super early. 5:30am.

One guy: an early 80's El Camino, only it wasn't called an El Camino, rather some silly pseudo-spanish name. I just call him "con quakador".
This guy drives like a maniac, and tries to race me the second he sees my 4 lights up-front. Ridiculous. It is a 150hp LG, 305. A Civic would give him a run. You would be astounded how hard he pushes this car to take a ramp before me.

The other guy: a late 80's Coupe De Ville!!!! This guys is even nuttier!! He drives this car like it is a Mazzarati, no kidding. Now, I do not taunt either guy, and when we encounter one another, ANYTHING I do, even normal acceleration is perceived as aggression, and they proceed to almost plant themselves in a guard rail.

And note: it is not just when these two dopes see me that they are in this mode. They are always weaving, cutting, hard-breaking. How could I NOT want to school these two idiots. They are truly a hazzard. I spot them, and it's like a lion spotting a gazelle out on the plains. :racer:

These are just a few of the characters I run into on my daily commutes. (weather permitting. these days the Stang is ONLY a fair weather beast)

#12 ·
They want to see a free show!

Eazzy 1, I LOVE the "professor" analogy! I only used the word "bully", because I am sure it is perceived that way by others. yes, I am always evaluating, calculating every inch of my travel.

You guys would laugh, but tis true, for YEARS now, I run into the same two morons on my way into work, which is super early. 5:30am.

One guy: an early 80's El Camino, only it wasn't called an El Camino, rather some silly pseudo-spanish name. I just call him "con quakador".
This guy drives like a maniac, and tries to race me the second he sees my 4 lights up-front. Ridiculous. It is a 150hp LG, 305. A Civic would give him a run. You would be astounded how hard he pushes this car to take a ramp before me.

The other guy: a late 80's Coupe De Ville!!!! This guys is even nuttier!! He drives this car like it is a Mazzarati, no kidding. Now, I do not taunt either guy, and when we encounter one another, ANYTHING I do, even normal acceleration is perceived as aggression, and they proceed to almost plant themselves in a guard rail.

And note: it is not just when these two dopes see me that they are in this mode. They are always weaving, cutting, hard-breaking. How could I NOT want to school these two idiots. They are truly a hazzard. I spot them, and it's like a lion spotting a gazelle out on the plains. :racer:

These are just a few of the characters I run into on my daily commutes. (weather permitting. these days the Stang is ONLY a fair weather beast)
Remember this as well - Owning a Mustang is like carrying the WBC title belt, everyone want to test you, sometimes cars know you will destroy them, they want to go fast just to see you go fast, I usually give them the show they want, the only time I don't is if it's wet, or the road is really bumpy, I will pull into the right lanes all the time in the city knowing there is a parked car on the right, the other driver is thinking "damn, a mustang, he is going to get in front of me and there is nothing I can do" he has been automotivly raped, tere was nothing he can do and he had to take it, the only chance he has is blowing off the red light, and I would blow off the light to if I had to, I will pass you on oncoming traffic, on the grass part of the highway, what ever it takes to automotivly rape you...:myhappydance:

#11 ·
I must admit I am guilty. I love to unleash the supercharged fury on unsuspecting people that try to mess with me. I just can't help it.:heha:

#29 ·
I must admit I am guilty. I love to unleash the supercharged fury on unsuspecting people that try to mess with me. I just can't help it.:heha:
My brother from another mother! I must admit it's one of my guilty pleasures also:laugh: Whenever I'm with a buddy of mine and we come across the poor soul driving the mini-van or beat down whatever, he starts yelling at me to "unleash the fury" like Tom Green in Road Trip. It's freaking hysterical and it never gets old lol!

Attachments

#13 ·
im guilty as well. I will tailgate people if they don't go the speed limit. and if i have the chance to pass, I do. I can't stand prius's btw. all they do is pull right infront of you and accelerate SOO SLOWELY. its like: oo im saving the world I can do what ever I want!....I shut them up with my stang roaring at them while I pass them.

#21 ·
I don't tailgate people, but I agree with the prius drivers cutting us off, especially in the DC Metropolitan Area, but what I find most funny is when they see the mustang (and mine is a 6) they want to drive as fast as possible near me, I just laugh to myself thinking how much the tool wishes to be in a mustang but the wife didn't allow it.:rollgrin:

#14 ·
I cruise nicely on the slow lane confident that I can crush any car that came up near me. I do realize that instead of honking my horn I rev my engine as sort of a growl. It scares off people more than you realize. Where as horn is responded by the finger, the rev is responded with getting out of my damn way or shapin' up!

haha. Love the growl.

#15 ·
sixer???

I cruise nicely on the slow lane confident that I can crush any car that came up near me. I do realize that instead of honking my horn I rev my engine as sort of a growl. It scares off people more than you realize. Where as horn is responded by the finger, the rev is responded with getting out of my damn way or shapin' up!

haha. Love the growl.
I don't think people can really hear that sixer growl....sorry.:nono:

#18 ·
i am only a "bully" to smart cars and prisuses.... priusi..... whatever is plural for prius :bigthumbsup

#20 ·
Chevy p/u's being the most common offenders. (well, offenders in my obviously twisted world...lol) I have lost count of how many of those guys I have trounced just to humble them back into the reality that despite the Nascar stickers, and big #8 on the back window, it's a Chevy Silverado w/ a toolbox, not a GT-500!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey jonztang, I agree with you on the chevy trucks, can't tell you how many of them I put back in their place, piece of crap trucks.

#22 ·
i'm usually a bully, big time. but then again sometimes not..... just mostly those who are asking for it by driving like a idiot or having a stupid car that they think is fast, that isn't :bigthumbsup i let the morons go that are going 20+ mph above the speed limit and are asking for a ticket. pick your fights or johnny law will reach into the pocket. ;)

#23 ·
ain't this a pissah!!!:heha:

#25 ·
I'm not a bully any other time, so driving my car doesn't make any difference in how I act.

#27 ·
It sounds like some people aren't secure in their manhood. :heha:

Anyways am I bully? Not remotely close. I'm not even the speed demon that I used to be (when I had less powerful cars like my 82hp Hyundai Accent or my 140hp Chevrolet Cavalier). I'm quite "lame" on the highways to tell you the truth. I always stay within 5 mph of the speed limit and don't really instigate anything on highway. Seldom do I react to anything on the highway and since getting my 2011 v6, I've shut 3 wannabe racers that for whatever reason I let get under my skin. As far as being bullied...yes that happens a lot. Like I said, I'm "lame" on the highway so I'm going anywhere between 65 mph - 70 mph depending on the posted speed limit and for those that (I don't know) sleep in late and leave their house at the latest possible time trying to make it to work on time...I'm their worst nightmare. I get extreme tailgating, flashing and whatever you can think of. But the way I see it, is that if I'm up on time every morning, leave my house at an acceptable time so that I'm at work on time every morning...why should I acquiesce to your irresponsibility because you can't do the same. It's not like I even ride the outside passing lane. I either ride the center or the inside "slow" lane but when you have these nimrods that are running late they really don't care what lane you are in if they think they can pass. I think the worst situation was about 2 months or so back when I was in my Sonata. I was riding center lane and a guy in a older model Ford truck was weaving in and out of traffic trying to pass people in the morning. He got up on my bumper and starting tailgating me so bad that I could see the crumbs from the jelly doughnut he had for breakfast. Anyways I was going about 70 and the guy was trying all he can to get me to move. I'm sorry but when being bullied, I will do the opposite of what most expect. So I took my foot off the gas and let the car slow down naturally. Next thing I know I hear this dude hit the brakes. Later on he find his opening and whips past everyone. Then cuts back in front of me and then slams his brakes in the middle of the interstate. Luckily there was more than enough room between his car and I where I just went pass him without a second thought and kept going. The point is that the interstate or any road for that matter isn't the last lap of the INDY 500 and shouldn't be treated as such. If you can't drive in a sensible and responsible manner than maybe said person shouldn't be on the road, but that's just one man's opinion. Which I'm sure there are a lot that might not agree with me and would be more than glad to just bump me off the road when they got a chance.:kooky:

#28 ·
Bullit,

Uh, quite secure in my manhood there, thanks. And, for the record,.....by slowing down when someone is driving that agressively, is..... in and of itself, a form of BULLYING! You are demanding to stay in control....in a passive, and dare I say, rather lame way.

Passive aggressive drivers, the worst!!

#30 ·
Maybe it is...maybe it isn't. However when I'm legally going the speed limit, (sometimes 5 mph over) why should I, or anyone else, be bullied or be forced to move out of some person's way because they are running late most likely because of their own irresponsibility? I'm sorry but riding my bumper or weaving recklessly across 3 lanes of traffic (as this truck was doing) is not going to get me to move out of the way. If I see a car coming up on me and I'm allowed time I'll be more than glad to move at whatever speed I'm going and 9/10 it happens. However when one is being a pr!ck in a truck thinking one owns the road and everyone else is just supposed to bow to whatever they want to do, then yeah I have a problem. Do I slam my brakes on someone who's tailing me...no I don't. I'll tap lightly to let them know they are too close (especially when I can't see their headlights in my rearview) and I let off the gas so they know (hopefully) to slow down. In the past I let a bully get the best of me on the interstate (by speeding up so I could get out of that person's way because I was blocked by traffic) and I ended up being pulled the SCHP and fined a very rough amount for going 20 over the speed limit. Yes the cop pulled me, and not the guy who was chasing me in his car at nearly the very same speed because in his words I was instigating the chase. Then again the cop saw my car coming over the hill first and most likely focused on me. So therefore after that ticket I decided unless the car behind me is some kind of emergency vehicle or first response/law enforcement vehicle I will not move out of the way of someone who wants to speed excessively on the road and be a bully.

Oh and I respectfully disagree about passive aggressive drivers being the worst. I think it's the ones who drive at an excessive rate of speed and just expect you on their whim when you are obeying the rules of the road to move out of their way. I'm a very safe and responsible driver and my record with no (at-fault) accidents more than speaks for itself. I don't think there's anything really passive aggressive about me...I follow the rules of the road (for the most part) because that's what is set forth. If someone is going slower than what I am driving, I don't flash them or ride their bumper like a maniac until they move out of my way...I wait until I can find a safe opening in traffic and I pass them. How much more logical can it get?

Oh and for the record I don't think there's anything wrong with speed but there's a time and place for everything and certainly in my opinion 7:00-ish in morning rush traffic isn't the safest or smartest place to do it...especially when the majority of traffic (like me) are following regulations.

and um...I was joking about the manhood thing in the last message...hence the smiley but I guess that was lost in translation. No need to get wound up about about anything. :bigthumbsup ...and it's "Bullitt" with 2 t's. :smilie

#31 ·
This is how I look at it. I know my car is fast there is a time and place to show that, the street is not it. I put to much time and money into my car to be foolish with it. I compare it to a lion in the jungle. The lion sits on top of the hill looking over all that is his as others walk by and look up. He pays no attention to them he knows what's what, on the rare occasion something gets to close, he will let out a growl that puts them right in their place. If ever he has to fight he picks the time and place. He truly is the king.
The truth is there will always be someone faster then us. But we do own a mustang, don't get any better then that !!!!!!!

#32 ·
everybody's getting all fired up over this thread.

I may be a little bit of a "bully" at times but at other times others have it brought upon themselves. For the week I got to drive my car I had a few cars approach me on the road and try and outdrive me. 4 bangers, outdrive me? NO! Absolutely not! I blow by them and then slow down just so they can catch up so I can laugh at them!

I also hate the Chevy p/u's that think their trunk is so awesome because it's lifted and stuff. Wow what are you going to do with a lift on your truck? Are you going to go out and drive through mud covered swamps? We're in Ohio, there are no swamps! I may be a little biased though, my ex loves trucks.

But with that being said, I did get a car that has a lot of power that I'll probably never get to use. I may not like trucks but at least I'm fair on my opinions on both of our vehicles :).

#37 ·
Most of the time I drive with the flow of traffic but if somebody has a problem with that then I'll crank things up a notch & go. If I need to change lanes quick then I get on it but most of the time I just try not to attract too much attention. I look at it this way, my car stands out enough on its own without me having to "drive it like I stole it", in my younger days yeah-I was a bully in that little 85 GT...I had Flowmasters on it & I loved to show them off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.