Cross Country Road trip - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Cross Country Road trip

This morning I started my trip from El Paso Tx to Northern Ky in my 2006 GT vert. My car weighed 4040 Pounds with all my stuff in it. What I think is cool is that I averaged 25.4 mpg! My car is bone stock and I had the the ac on max. The speed limit is a little higher in Tx. I averaged between 75-85 mph. I thought that having a V8 would suck the gas real fast....amazing car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
PONY Member

The gas mileage is great in these cars, I got 25.3 last summer going to Michigan and back. Get your self a cold air kit and tune, it will helpget a little better mpg, if you can keep your foot outta it.

2007 Vista Blue GT, tu-tone Tuxedo Black. Turbonetics turbo kit ,tru-fiber ramair hood, upr adjustable upper, tubular lowers,Pypes muffler delete, wms stealth hood-pins, roush rear-window louvers, JLT Carbon Fiber radiator cover. 18" staggered Stealth Black Godspeed Omegas, MGW short throw shifter, Oracle blue halo's

1987 Buick GN 46k
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
GT Member

Man, I don't know what you guys are doing, but my 2010 GT isn't close to those numbers. 20mpg max., even with easy driving.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONY View Post
Man, I don't know what you guys are doing, but my 2010 GT isn't close to those numbers. 20mpg max., even with easy driving.
city (stop - go 25 -45mph) or highway (55 - 60 )or interstate (65 -80)? it makes a difference. on my route 66 trip with my GT loaded with junk and the wifey, i got 27.3 mpg at 75 - 80 mph on the way back from cali across the great plains states. i also have a jlt cai and had the 87 economy tune in. and this was driving, around 780 mi. all day on the interstate.

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It totally depends on the way you drive. I have a 24 mile roundtrip for work and my MPG avg's between 17-20, depending on the weight of my foot. If I drive on the highway, I can avg. 23-25mpg. Believe me, if I'm feeling a bit froggy and I give her the juice, I can watch my Avg MPG go down considerably. But if it cost me a few extra dollars per week to hear her rumble, I'll spend it.

2007 Mustang GT/Kooks Long Tube Headers/Catted X-Pipes-Borla Tips/Shelby Cobra Wheels/Cervini Louvers/4.10 Gears

"Feed the Stang some High Premium Oats, and watch her run"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Did some testing and got on the gas a bit today. Still got well over 24 mpg. Did a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls and some heavy accelerating. Car responded well. Got a question. Even though my car is stock, I have been using synthetic oil and [email protected] octane. Does the synthetic oil and premium gas help with gas mileage?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_daddy33 View Post
Did some testing and got on the gas a bit today. Still got well over 24 mpg. Did a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls and some heavy accelerating. Car responded well. Got a question. Even though my car is stock, I have been using synthetic oil and [email protected] octane. Does the synthetic oil and premium gas help with gas mileage?
is it a full syn or a blend? the motorcraft blend that comes from the factory is really first rate for the price and has excellent wear and thermal properties, with a full (like AMSOIL 0w-20) you will get about 1=2 mpg more. and not really for the 91/93 without a tune, kinda wasting money that you could be putting toward a cold air intake and tune and really wake that thing up

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

It's full synthetic and I will start using the 87 octane. Thanks for the advice.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump_daddy33 View Post
It's full synthetic and I will start using the 87 octane. Thanks for the advice.
no problem, what are friends for

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page