Wheel/Fender Alignment... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Wheel/Fender Alignment...

Anyone out there running wheels/tires that extend BEYOND the fender/wheel well?

Or are all wheels typically in-line or inside the fender?

Looking at some wheel options and the backspacing is a little tight - wondering if a half inch to an inch outside the fender will still look ok.

Anyone with pics - would greatly help, thanks!

—Doug
Racine, WI

2005 Redfire V6 "Retro Pony"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010

Since you have asked for opinions...wheels that stick out past the fenders do not look good. Not to mention the damage it will cause to your paint and some states will ticket for it. There is plenty of room to fit large wheels and tires under the fenders.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Since you have asked for opinions...wheels that stick out past the fenders do not look good.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Agree 110%

2005 Sonic Blue Auto GT, ordered new
Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Since you have asked for opinions...wheels that stick out past the fenders do not look good. Not to mention the damage it will cause to your paint and some states will ticket for it. There is plenty of room to fit large wheels and tires under the fenders.
This is very true. However, I intentionally got a rear wheel that stuck outside the fender just slightly. I am running 20" diameter, 10" rims with a 295/30 tire ratio. It sticks out about 1/2" or so but doesn't look bad (I don't remember what the offset is but I think it is 22mm). If you do go that route you have to make sure you have bumpstops in place that will prevent rubbing. I have my car slammed to the ground with no rubbing.

-------------------------------------------
2006 Vista Blue "Mach 1", Auto, N/A
Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
------------------------------------------------------------
Numbers are just that...numbers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

This pic doesn't do it justice...maybe I'll get a close up tomorrow for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1320resized.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	100688  

Too much to list and nothing really that great. If interested check out my profile.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
This pic doesn't do it justice...maybe I'll get a close up tomorrow for you.
So you have what, 1/4" of rear suspension travel, if that, before hitting the bumpstops? After that it sure looks like they'd rub the fenders but you say they don't?

Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubkap View Post
So you have what, 1/4" of rear suspension travel, if that, before hitting the bumpstops? After that it sure looks like they'd rub the fenders but you say they don't?
I actually raised the rear end up slightly because the travel was so limited (about another 1/3" or so). It gives it a better stance. Absolutely no rubbing...if the bumpstops are made correctly it is impossible to rub. I have a fully adjustable coilover suspension so all the components were engineered to go with each other. This pic shows you better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1314resized.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	100690  

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010
GT Member

You want my opinion? Tires that extend past the wheel lip look cheap and stupid. Not saying the owners are just saying that is what I think when I look at it. The ghetto boys playing with their hotwheels cars and 13" rims let the tires stick out and their pants fall down.

I apologize to anyone who fits this description.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkzilla View Post
This is very true. However, I intentionally got a rear wheel that stuck outside the fender just slightly. I am running 20" diameter, 10" rims with a 295/30 tire ratio. It sticks out about 1/2" or so but doesn't look bad (I don't remember what the offset is but I think it is 22mm). If you do go that route you have to make sure you have bumpstops in place that will prevent rubbing. I have my car slammed to the ground with no rubbing.
Really??? From reading your previous thread it sounded more like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowCS View Post
Ok so I messed up my order but still think I will be ok, just need confirmation.
At this point I am just bustin' your balls...but since a response to this thread requires the expression of one's opinion, I still think that wheels that stick out past the fender are ugly. Even more so when it is done intentionally. I have two sets of tires/wheels. My KDW 2s stick out ever so slightly and it annoys me. The edge of the wheel is within the fender but the sidewall construction causes the overlap. I have a second set of wheels (identical to the others but modified by Weldcraft) with a set of Nitto 555rs 305x18 that still manage to sit within the fender. A little patience and a measuring tape go a long way.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Really??? From reading your previous thread it sounded more like this...

At this point I am just bustin' your balls...but since a response to this thread requires the expression of one's opinion, I still think that wheels that stick out past the fender are ugly. Even more so when it is done intentionally. I have two sets of tires/wheels. My KDW 2s stick out ever so slightly and it annoys me. The edge of the wheel is within the fender but the sidewall construction causes the overlap. I have a second set of wheels (identical to the others but modified by Weldcraft) with a set of Nitto 555rs 305x18 that still manage to sit within the fender. A little patience and a measuring tape go a long way.
Lol, when I mean intentionally I mean I bought the wheels knowing they were going to stick out a little bit. My intention was to get a deal on the set. All I am saying is it looks fine and our fellow Stanger shouldn't be worried about a little tire sticking out if he's gonna get a good deal too, otherwise why would you even contemplate it? Now, had I not gotten a great deal on the package I would have bought something else. Front tires sticking out though? Definitely not. It's all a matter of opinion and thats why we are here

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Was at a cruise in tonight, taking special notice of the wheels to wheel wells. Looks like 99% of what I saw was inside the fender, both new and old. Likely answering my own question - but opinions are always welcome.

Going to snap some shots of test fitting this weekend.

—Doug
Racine, WI

2005 Redfire V6 "Retro Pony"
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Even in the Tuner world they tried to keep the wheels inside the wheel well, 1 of the reasons for wide bodied kits.
My Mazda 3 was as close as I would have dared get to the outside of the wheel well.
It rubbed on tight left or right corners at speed going over a pretty good bump.

You can use a Wheel offset calculator to figure out how far out the new wheels will come to the edge of the wheel well
Wheel Offset Calculator

You will need the offset of the original wheels though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EECMMGTGTOTD008.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	100726  

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/Siberexpress/Sterling/Stripes/af58edf0-2e2e-4ffe-a201-405b00a627bc_zpseb5ae052.jpg
2013 Performance Package V6
2013 F150 6.2L Boss
Yes it is a Boss
SHELBY GT 500 Member

mr rear wheels have a +33mm backspace. they sit out about 1/2" farther than am`s +45mm. with 275`s on them, they are right at the fender. this is a 9" rim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back tire.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	100729   Click image for larger version

Name:	tires amalie rear.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	100730  

05 V6 auto,
GT Member

Not the best pic in the world but here's one of my 315/35/20's on 20x11 wheels that fit within the rear fenders, even with Ultralite drop springs...offset is everything. No rubbing issues here.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo.../5412/057b.JPG

Procharger D1SC
Thanks JPC Racing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page