Which clutch do you perfer? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Which clutch do you perfer?

I'm pretty sure I glazed my billet steel flywheel the other day. I have a Zoom stage 3 ceramic clutch set and maybe 4,000miles without the supercharger and not even 300miles with it. My car isn't even hooking up the tires and I think I glazed the flywheel. It went from real fast to seeming like the tires are always spinning under a hard acceleration even tho I know i'm not spinning them at all. I can smell the clutch also. I talked to my tuning shop and he told be to stay away from anything non-organic for the street. He told me to install a 03-04 cobra clutch set on my car. He says they can handle up to 650 horse. He installs them on 4.6 3v with whipples pushing 12 psi and Frpp cams, race exhaust, 530rwhp and no problems. What do you guys think?

Way too much to list. I'm broke because of it. Tuned by Blue Collar Performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEWBIU View Post
I'm pretty sure I glazed my billet steel flywheel the other day. I have a Zoom stage 3 ceramic clutch set and maybe 4,000miles without the supercharger and not even 300miles with it. My car isn't even hooking up the tires and I think I glazed the flywheel. It went from real fast to seeming like the tires are always spinning under a hard acceleration even tho I know i'm not spinning them at all. I can smell the clutch also. I talked to my tuning shop and he told be to stay away from anything non-organic for the street. He told me to install a 03-04 cobra clutch set on my car. He says they can handle up to 650 horse. He installs them on 4.6 3v with whipples pushing 12 psi and Frpp cams, race exhaust, 530rwhp and no problems. What do you guys think?
500 mi is the recomended minimum break in period before you hammer on it.... most likely you smoked er'. i have a spec stage 3+ and alum flywheel but it isn't in yet, waiting on sqidd for some "special parts"

D.O.B. 3V/GT500 Kit 463 RWHP/ 465 RWTRQ @ 11.5 PSI on 92oct - Dyno Dynamics Dyno
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah thats what I understand, I have 4300 to 4800 miles on it. More than enough

Way too much to list. I'm broke because of it. Tuned by Blue Collar Performance.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
A SPEC Stage III with a billet steel flywheel would be nice.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, This particular stage can hold up to 669 ft/lb of torque! I think this is the clutch for me.... Anyone have it? I want to get away from the crappy chatter of the ceramic clutch to this. This should be way more clutch then I need. I think I'm around 470tq at flywheel and I only plan maybe another power improvement of 50 more horse and torque.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have the SPEC Super Twin Disk (700-1500 ft lbs tq) with Billet Aluminum Flywheel and just love it...!!!

2007 Black on Black, GT 6 Speed
B326 (5.3L) Built Stroker,FRPP CNC PORTED Heads,Kooks LT's,Hi-Flow Catted H,Aluminum Drive Shaft,4:10 Gears,Tokico, Eibach Pro,Nitto 555R,,UCA/LCA, ,HotRod Cams,FRPP 62mm TB,Whipple HO-Intercooled SC,GT-500 Dual Fuel Pumps,Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt Drive System,15 psi, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc Clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan. Tremec T56 Magnum XL 6 Speed
Plus more...
709 RWHP/712 RWTQ
Mustang Dyno
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010
PONY Member

I've got the Spec 3+ with low pedal requirement and the spec billet steel flywheel. Sucks balls during break-in but I love it now that it's broken in.

300 stroker @ 11:1 compression, FRPP Stage 2 heads, 127300 cams, 4r70W, Kooks 1 3/4" lt's with 3" H mid-pipe, FRPP stinger mufflers, B&M ratchet shifter, UPR LCA's, JPC race UCA. E-Force TVS. Engine built by Everett's specialty repair, tuned by Manuel @ tudyno.com 9.98 @ 136.55 1.39 60'
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010

A little glazing is no problem and can easily be taken care of. Now if you burn't in some heat spots you may have issues. Why did you choose a ceramic puck? Ceramics and metalics are more abrasive which will cause more wear and tear. Its always a trade off. A good organic will handle the job. I'm running an organic single disc and it is doing the job perfectly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

[email protected] I went to D&D performance in Wixom MI, they sold me a Kevlar stage 2 clutch. That clutch was used before I had my supercharger and it was good until you drove the car for a while, till it reached operating temp. Then it wouldn't release, With the car in neutral and the clutch pushed completely in the car would still try to lunge forward. We sent the clutch back to the manufacture they tested it told us it was defective. Warped pressure plate from them(30 day warranty and we were at day 60). They had D&D performance upgrade us to a stage 3 ceramic for free( for our trouble) and D&D sold us a billet steel flywheel for $150. So we had too much clutch for our car for a year and thought we would of been all set for the supercharger(580ftlb tq rating). I hate that clutch, it is just like a light switch on/off, crappy first gear take off, it squawks and chatters. After first gear it drove fine, but don't get stuck in a traffic jam or the Woodward dream cruise. I think its glazed, I need to get it in the air and see whats wrong.

Didn't sound like a bad deal to start with...sometimes the proper amount of abrasive and pressure can go a long way. I've never been over to D&D just Liberty's.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Oh I learned how to drive it just fine. But it didn't hold up to the new power. The pedal is firm at first then starts to get a bit mushy after any acceleration(this is how I found out that it does this). I killed the clutch from a rolling start against a 2011 grand sport vette in front of the gm tech center in warren, on mound rd. Just last week they had a ride and drive up their if you knew somebody that worked their. My friend up their told be to bring my mustang down their and smoke one of the engineers of the vette team in that vette. I did the first race and second didn't go too good at all. I could smell the cooked clutch and flywheel. It was safe enough to drive 40mins home, but anything more that 1/4 gas pedal and it didn't want to move too good. The car is shifting just fine so assuming the pressure plate is intact and keeping the clutch to the flywheel. I just think that the flywheel is a bit cooked and polished now. :yelpleased: I don't think that clutch was appropriate for me. I hear ceramic needs to get warm to hot before they grab real nice. I raced on a cold clutch after all the test driving.

PM sent...I just tripped over something in my basement that might interest you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page